• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Prescription Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderwebs

Greenlighter
I am currently prescribed 300 mg of Gabapentin 2 x per day, but want to switch to Lyrica. Dr. has been increasing my gaba dose slightly (went from 300 to 600), but I still usually need to take more than that to get relief, though I don't take gaba every day. I've heard that Lyrica is much more effective. I just called my doc and am waiting on a call back, but in the meantime, I was wondering what the chances are that they will prescribe me the Lyrica? I'm hoping I won't have to go in for an appointment, though I can if necessary. I did go in about 6 weeks ago to see the doc about my back pain, which is where the Gabapentin script began in the first place. They didn't even examine me then, so I think that having to schedule (and pay for) another appointment would be unnecessary, but whatever. My main question is this: Do doctors typically feel comfortable prescribing Lyrica? Any advice on what I should say if they ask why I want to try Lyrica? (I mean, I have legit reasons, I just don't want to come off as sounding like a drug-seeker)
As a side note, I do have health insurance (Harvard Pilgrim) and the Gabapentin is only a cheap co-pay, but I have heard that Lyrica is much more expensive. Anyone have any experience with a Lyrica co-pay? As long as it's covered by insurance I should be ok, but just wondering. Any experience/insight/advice would be appreciated.
BTW, I have spent time searching online for info on Lyrica, as well as pouring though the other lyrica/gaba threads here, but I've not been able to find helpful advice pertaining to my situation. I hope this thread is appropriate-still a newbie here-so thanks in advance for your help and patience. The whole reason I joined this site was to connect with other people who have experience with drugs, and hopefully to be able to contribute in a positive way if I am able to help others, so I really appreciate those who take the time to help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, drugs like gabapentin and lyrica have to be taken daily for the therapeutic effect... They don't even work for weeks until stable plasma levels are established... So either you're just using them ineffectively or abusing them.

Either way, we don't allow these speculative threads. All we can tell you is to be honest with your physician about how you feel.

If you have chronic pain, the link in my signature to the CP mega thread is a great resource.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.