• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long does it take to build a benzo tolerance and exhibit withdrawal symptoms?

General AP Napoli

Greenlighter
Ok, here's my deal.

I don't use benzos too often, but I'll sometimes buy bars when they're available. I've been taking 1-4 mg of xanax for the past 5 days, and stopped today when I ran out.

I've been feeling weird, just very spacey with some anxiety that feels very similar to an alcohol withdrawal ive been through before. Why is this happening though? I thought you had to take benzos a lot longer than 5 days to produce a withdrawal.. I didnt notice my tolerance increasing very much when I was taking it, but I certainly notice these odd withdrwal symptoms.

So I guess if I'm exhibiting minor withdrawal, how long will it take? is there certain precautions I should take? I'm not taking anymore benzos seeing as this effect was produced in such a short time period.. I've been using oxycontin today, and it's been helping with the anxiety.

I just didnt realize I could get withdrawal after 5 days...?

I really don't think your body could get so used to Benzos in the course of 5 days that you'd exhibit any sort of notable withdrawal. My psychiatrist was actually for whatever reason telling me about the amount of time that Psychiatrists were "supposed to" only prescribe different Benzos for, & she said that the shortest amount of time [with nearly everybody, at least, there's always exceptions] that it took people to develop a notable tolerance & dependency to Xanax [& I believe Ativan & Valium as well] was a couple weeks, & that for Klonopin it was like 2 months.

I used xanax medicinally around 2 mg a day for 6-7 months and quit cold turkey, other than suboxone and weed I went through about 10-12 days of hell, worse than opiate withdrawals.
2 months later I started up again but took 60 1 mg in about 20 days, surprisingly I had such little withdrawal I barely noticed it.
Now a month later I've been prescribed 1 mg klonopin 2x a day.
5 days really isn't enough (based on my experiences) to cause even the slightest withdrawals. I remember before I ever became dependent on them I would go 7 or 8 days eating about 20 bars and never got withdrawals.

In the way of precautions, stay away from all stimulants as they made it worse in time of withdrawal (due to the risk of seizures) Not that I've ever had a seizure but Benzo withdrawal makes it a lot easier for seizures to occur . I even was having Glutamate related stress from 2C-E and Mushrooms. Things like Phenibut, Kava, Ethanol (Personally I hate Alcohol), or if your lucky enough to get your hands on GHB will help. Phenazapam is out there but that puts you right back in the same boat. Generally anything GABA related helped ease my symptoms. Best bet is take lots of vitamins and L-Theanine.
Make sure you ween yourself off next time.

Thanks your advice guys.. I feel better today although I still feel a bit out of it and have some residual nausea. I think I did undergo some minor withdrawal, I've noticed my GABA receptors are rather weird in my brain; taking benzos or drinking alcohol for more than 3 days for some reason causes my body to create withdrawal symptoms.. yes only after 3 days! It never used to be like that until i started drinking heavily.. i dont drink anymore because my body becomes physically dependent in only 3 days.. but I ended up taking some Kava, tryptophan and a GABA supplement which definitely eased the symptoms off. I guess since this "withdrawal" was so minor, it's only lasting 2 days