• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Recovery from side effects: depression, ear ringing

heresay

Greenlighter
Took 70mg a month ago. Should not have caused any negative side effects, right?

But I have some other health issues (chronic infections) that make my body, let's say, less than resilient. It was not a good idea for me to take anything, but what's done is done.

Wondering about any ideas about recovering from these lingering effects:

-Ear ringing. Worse at night. Sometimes goes away entirely. Seems to be related to low serotonin, since serotonin-increasing things make it go down. Zinc makes it go down. Still it wakes me up every morning and makes me worry that I'll have it forever.

-Depression. Ugh. Terrible. depression. Got me put in a partial hospital program. On Wellbutrin and low-dose Celexa but it's not enough.

-Tendency to want to spread my hands apart and tense them, or make lots of gestures with my fingers. Sometimes difficulty getting my fingers to obey my brain when typing. Seems to be due to low dopamine.

All these things are getting better over time, it's just taking a LONG TIME (4 weeks so far!).

I took a supplement vacation for two weeks to let my body try to figure it out, but it wasn't getting better fast enough, so I am now taking:

-Wellbutrin
-Celexa
-fish oil
-B-vitamins
-inositol

P.S. Any encouragement about how these things will probably go away would be appreciated! It's encouraging that the symptoms vary temporally and especially they vary along with neurotransmitter levels.

I don't think I have permanent neuron damage- I hope it's just low levels of some important chemicals, and I hope it's something I can fix.

Oops, I wanted to get it to email me if there were replies. I'll see if I can add on that function.

Please stop using all drugs other than what your doctor prescribes.

The Ear ringing thing is within your control. Just stop paying attention to it. The more you focus on it the worse it gets.

70mg of mdma did not cause depression that lasts 4 weeks and cause you to use anti depressants. I put to you that you already had a problem with depression which the use of mdma would not have helped.

The stretching of the fingers is not typical of mdma use at all however it is typical of amphetamine use in larger ammounts.

These are my suggestions.

1. Your not telling us the entire story.

2. The entire story is made up.

3. If its all accurate then I think its mostly in your head and there is nothing more wrong with you now than before you took 70mg of mdma 4 weeks ago. I suspect you suffer from anxiety.

The brain is a very powerful thing and can easily make you imagine you have all these things wrong and that such and such caused it.

Did you know that in Australia the Aboriginal people could cause someone to die simply by pointing a bone at them. The person who had the bone pointed at them was so convinced they woiuld die that they did indeed die.

Did the bone being pointed cause them to die? Or did the brain and what it was allowed to believe cause the death?

I would discuss with complete honesty, all of this stuff with your doctor.

I had the ear ringing problem, and the only time I would hear it is if I tried to ignore all sounds and actually pay attention to it. As long as you don't think about it, you won't hear it and it will just eventually go away over time.

My 2 cents.
(keep in mind I space my rolls 3 months apart)

I rolled 2 nights at a big socal event recently. (I know, I know...)
it took me approx 10 days for the noticable after effects to disappear. Though I try and keep my body and mind in impeccable shape in between rolls.

Hand guestures/involuntary movements are definitely stim based. (trust me, long time legal user of adderall). Im doing it right now for gods sake...haha

I forgot: I absolutely agree with Mazdan. Talk to your doc. I do all the time. My doc is a little wary of my use, but Nontheless gives good
information, and won't turn me/you into the police. ;-)

My doctor prescribed the antidepressants. They are helping with the depression, but the Wellbutrin seems to make the ear ringing worse.

I am not making this up. I know this would never happen to a regular person, but I have chronic Lyme disease and:

-I am very sensitive to medications in general.
-I was on other medications that might have influenced the metabolism of ecstasy, my liver enzymes might have been altered such that it was eliminated more slowly.

I have heard that sometimes people have after-effects for up to six weeks.

I definitely think you need to speak with your doctor and just be straight with him.

Everyone is different and he will understand the big picture of your specific health situation.

Please try and refrain from all drugs though other than those you are prescribed.

i am takin wellbutrin and still have side effects from molly 4 months ago. but i havent been on it that long. weirdly i dont get MAD when i get in arguments now i think because its made me feel extreme apathy in some cases. and if I get sad boy do I get sad

i will not continue taking this

i can't help you on how to cure your symptoms but i can say one thing... don't do XTC/MDMA again...

You need to talk to your doctor, plain and simple. This isn't something that we can help you with.

I had the ear ringing problem, I just ignored it...
other than that I only experienced problems like my bladder being full and my lower back hurt

-Tendency to want to spread my hands apart and tense them, or make lots of gestures with my fingers. Sometimes difficulty getting my fingers to obey my brain when typing. Seems to be due to low dopamine.
I also tend to spread and wiggle my fingers, then squeeze them into fist.

Last edited:
Yes, typing issues were missing or adding letters.
I've been discussing all of this with the various members of my treatment team. They think I will be fine in a few weeks.
Low-dose Wellbutrin has cleared up all the problems except for ear ringing. The typing problem and hand tensing problem are gone.

The ear ringing is probably tenisus from conductive hearing loss from loud noises. Things like speaker cabinets will cause this and I wish you could just ignore it. For me it started out one pitch and wasn't too bad but now it sounds like someone walked by a piano and slammed both hands on it and it doesn't stop. Its worse at night cuz you have no background noise.

Strangely, the Wellbutrin made the ear ringing louder, but it also made me stop caring about it. It really doesn't bother me now, I can sleep with it with no problem.

Before taking the Wellbutrin, I would turn on a fan on a high setting or play white noise on my computer: http://simplynoise.com/.

Other people use zinc, magnesium, and gingko biloba for ear ringing. Gingko interacts with some drugs so I can't take it now.