• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Missed shot.. please help!

hydrobliss

Bluelighter
So I decided to IV oxycodone for the first time today... here is what happened.

I crushed up 45mg of oxy into fine powder.. put it in a bottle cap and mixed it up with sterile water.

filtered 3 times through a cigarette filter untill I had 1cc of liquid in a 1cc insulin syringe.

cleaned my arm with alcohol pad.. tied off

tried for 10 min to find the vein in my arm (near elbow area) untill my arm was bleeding and hurting... kept finding it for a sec then losing it.

I almost gave up but in a desperate attempt I decided to try for the suicide vein in my wrist before I gave up.

two problems with this....

1- I prepped my arm with alcohol, but I forgot I didnt prep my wrist and didnt remember untill after the needle was in

2- I got the needle in the vein, registered.. then when I went to plunge it popped out and I shot 1cc of liquid into my wrist outside the vein. it bubbled up and got swollen and red all of the sudden.

It is now 8 hours later... it is still sore but no longer red and no long puffy.. just a tiny but sore and swollen.

what should I do?

I WILL NEVER IV AGAIN.. it was a moronic idea, so save the comments on how dumb I am please

Last edited:
I have seen people do this alot..You will be fine..Your body will heal itself.

Naw, if the swelling and redness went down, you're already in good shape. Shame you couldn't find a good vein.

sounds like you need to just calm down when you fix..find a chair with two arm rests and put your arm that is tied off on the arm rest and lay it flat on the arm rest. Almost as if your whole arm from your wrist to your bicep is flat on the arm rest.

do that so when you fix your arm isnt shaking all over the place its flat on the arm rest.
try hitting the viens in between your wrist and elbow on the back of your fore arm. when you rest your arm on the arm rest you can hit those viens easily because you can rest the rig on top of your arm

the key is to relax! you will miss a thousand more times..its no big deal
nice to hear your prep ritual
having a clean ritual will save you in the long run

always use a new rig
always use clean water
always clean your spoon
always a new clean cotton
trash all of that and have a good day

try hitting the viens in between your wrist and elbow on the back of your fore arm. when you rest your arm on the arm rest you can hit those viens easily because you can rest the rig on top of your arm

the viens between my wrist and elbow are very hard to see, even nurses dont mess around there on me,, i can see the suicide viens well and on top of my hand but its difficult to rest the rig anywhere,,, suggestions

That happened to me yesterday with just 0,1 ml of mineral bottled water and 0,2 of coke, it instantly swollen and produced little burning pain, I immediately applied antibiotic cream (mupirocine 0,2%) and now it's fully healed, no swollen, no vein damage.

Having 3 lanced abscesses in my past, I think that a immediate treatment will avoid the develope of infection, purulent matter and the classic closed cavity similar to a cist in the out of vein injection zone.

So I would advice you to buy antibiotic cream and use it where you injected, 3-4 times x day and also keep the cream ready for future needs.

Hope my 2 cents will help you and who's reading.

if the redness is gone you are in good shape i have done this on many occasions and not had any adverse reactions tho i have never missed a whole shot i advise you rest ur arm on a table or something to help steady yourself and push the shot slowly if you feel the burning sensation or see a bubble starting to form STOP PUSHING

I used to freak out when I had a miss. Sadly, I'm at a point now, where i don't get freaked out about it at all. it's actually a better way to be, because usually with these kind of mistakes, going crazy isn't going to help the situation.

Run it under warm water for a while. if the bump doesn't go down after a day or so, then you might want to consider going to the hospital or seeing a doctor.

also, if you want to use 1 mL of solution, you should have gotten a 3cc syringe. You obviously missed because you had barely any room to register.

You will also notice the plunger takes more force to press down when not in a vein. If you have never IV'd before, get someone to help, even if they have not before either, someone working with two hands is better than one.

There are also quite a few videos on youtube of all places where you can watch and learn from recorded RN classes on basic IV prep and injection, not to mention lots of HR writeups as well. The videos do help allot though and even taught me a thing or two about just being safer in general.

Thanks a lot for the further advice guys.. I might try again next week, taking this advice into consideration

I would also practice with sterile water first so you get a hang of registering and staying in the vein.