• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Distinguishing MDMA from Ketamine (powders, not effects)

echonomix

Greenlighter
I hope this is an appropriate forum for this.

If one were to have two containers of white powder, and knew that one is MDMA and the other Ketamine, but not which is which, is there any way without using marquis or testing the goods to know which is which? Is there anything common i could use that would react differently with one than the other, or am i best off finding a fearless friend?

Thanks!

Fearless friend ftw! Just snort some and see where it takes you :). I'll be your fearless friend :D

You'd probably be better off with actual testing reagents than trying to use household items...the Mandelin reagent would be ideal for this.

Um, but if you're really going to make someone into a guinea pig, you can use the fact that insufflated ketamine is active at a lower dosage than insufflated MDMA. Measure out 30mg (a sub-threshold dose for MDMA, but active for ketamine), snort it, and see if you feel really dizzy and lethargic. 8)

What if it turns out that one or both is some other substance?
Please, just use a test kit or dont touch the stuff.

They have very different, very distinctive tastes. I don't think anybody who's tried MDMA a few times would forget that taste easily, just dab a little bit.

Taste is not a safe method to determine substances.

Just by appearance you should be able to tell right away which is ketamine, and then by process of elimination the other would be MDMA.
However if the MDMA in this hypothetical situation is also white and fluffy, then just get a small wiff of the bag (it shouldn't do much)
Ketamine and MDMA have extremely distict and different smells.

Not a great way to tell but all the ketamine i've ever had (quite a bit) has a very distinct smell.

Similar to taste, smell is not a good method of determining what a substance is. I wouldnt trust my life to either a smell or a taste.

People have tried to mask the ingredients of pills in the past by adding certain ingredients to give a specific smell.

OP, out of curiosity, is this just a hypothetical question or do you really have two unmarked containers full of ketamine/MDMA lying around?

Similar to taste, smell is not a good method of determining what a substance is. I wouldnt trust my life to either a smell or a taste.

People have tried to mask the ingredients of pills in the past by adding certain ingredients to give a specific smell.
What I read was that the OP already knows what both his substances are but has the 2 powders mixed up.

If this is not the case then you are correct and you would be an idiot to think a smell or taste is enough to distinguish between chemicals. Invest in a test kit, mandelin would be best as RGB has mentioned as it should react with both MDMA and Ketamine.

So many prompt replies, thanks all :)

OP, out of curiosity, is this just a hypothetical question or do you really have two unmarked containers full of ketamine/MDMA lying around?

Correct, this is my current situation. Both were sold to me wrapped in foil, and I have no idea which is which at this point.

What if it turns out that one or both is some other substance?
Please, just use a test kit or dont touch the stuff.

Agreed; I am pretty anal about testing my thizz when i pick up. I tested the MDMA with marquis (purplish-black) when I got it. The K came from a trustworthy friend, so I have a fair level of confidence in that as well, though it has not been tested. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my marquis reagent right now, and won't until it's "too late," as I was hoping to roll this weekend. That's why I was hoping there would be some household (or easily obtainable) substance that could yield a reaction indicating the presence of one or the other.

^
They look different, and they for sure taste different... I know MazDan is saying that doesn't tell anything, but if I was given two bags of powder, and knew for sure one was mdma and one was ketamine, I wouldn't have a problem figuring out which is which.

^
They look different, and they for sure taste different... I know MazDan is saying that doesn't tell anything, but if I was given two bags of powder, and knew for sure one was mdma and one was ketamine, I wouldn't have a problem figuring out which is which.

I've only tasted MDMA once and never ketamine, so I just don't feel like i'd be able to do that. :(

well ketamine is a really white fluffy powder.
Is the MDMA also like that?

If it is ketamine freebase. Then you can expect a tan colour powder !!!

Which conversts nicely into more than its weight to HCl salt { supposedly }

MDMA has a very distinct and bitter taste that I don't think anyone can forget, even after only tasting it once.