• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How long after being on SSRIs can a person do ecstasy again?

Alayna

Greenlighter
So it's been about 3, maybe 3.5 weeks since I discontinued SSRIs. Is that enough time to roll with full effects? I was on Celexa for quite a while (11 months) but haven't had any problems discontinuing as it was a fairly low dose. If not, what is enough time?

I'm aware that going off SSRIs is not a good idea and don't need any warnings. Just information about the subject at hand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much :)

Im not a pharmacist, but 3,5 weeks sounds like sufficient time for the SSRI to leave your system. Did you check out the mega thread on SSRIs & MDMA?

It differs for each person and in some cases you may never be able to roll again or certainly from all reports it can take a long long time.

Yes the drug will have left your system but the changes it makes takes a lot longer to undo.

Doesn't the half-life of Celexa determine how long it will take until you are about to role? The half-life of Celexa is 37 hours if it matters. So from what I gather, you should be fine rolling.

you shouldnt mix those, im not a doctor but to be safe i would say a month maybe a little less.

I agree with the moderator wholeheartedly in the fact that its individual specific and that the cumulative effect of SSRI's are typically long lasting due to their mechanism of action in the brain. Most everyone understands that these drugs block the re-uptake of serotonin, thereby leading to increased levels in the synapse and post synaptic down regulation of post-synaptic receptors over time.
The real key to their desired therapeutic effect is the coupling of specific post synaptic 5-HT receptors to G-Protein structures within the cell that effect cellular messenger systems in a cascading fashion to regulate gene synthesis. SSRI's have such a long lasting, sometimes even lifetime impact as previously mentioned, because they effect our neuronal functioning right down to its genetic core by altering which genes are turned on/off and transcribed. What has always struck me is that the exact mechanism of action by which they do this is still unknown, so they basically don't know which genes are effected and the overall effect that has on the form/function of both the individual cell and collective neuronal network.
Worst case scenario, providing you don't binge on rolls, is that you don't roll but that might not necessarily be the case since you were on a low dose and a relatively short duration of treatment. As long as your Serotonin Re-Uptake transporters have down regulated and conversely, post synaptic 5 HT-2 receptors have up-regulated back to a near baseline level following your cessation, you should be able to reap some benefit. This is obviously just speculation on my end though, I have a BS in this nonsense from some time back. Nothing more, nothing less. Hope this helps

I've heard that by six weeks, you should be able to roll fine. Before that I heard by four, you could roll, but it wouldn't be nearly as hard. Six should be alright, if I were on an SSRI for less than a year I'd say 4-6 weeks would be prime.

What about someone who's been on SSRI's for a really long time, like 8 years?

I recently encountered someone who is not a recreational drug user, and has no experience with MDMA or for that matter any psychedelic, and possibly has never smoked weed. This person is middle-aged (50's or 60's) and has been suffering from serious chronic depression for a very long time. For the past 8 years this person has been on a SSRI regime (Lexapro to be specific), with one break of several months a year or so ago. This person feels as if the options that are available have been exhausted, and has decided (after reading testimonials on the internet from MDMA psychotherapy patients) that attempting to use MDMA as part of treatment is the next thing to try. I have advised this person that SSRI's block the action of MDMA, but I would like to be able to offer more specific information. Can anyone help with this?

im currently on zoloft and was hoping to roll for my first time. is it bad to roll on while on an ssri regimen, if so why, like what are the effects?

So it's been about 3, maybe 3.5 weeks since I discontinued SSRIs. Is that enough time to roll with full effects? I was on Celexa for quite a while (11 months) but haven't had any problems discontinuing as it was a fairly low dose. If not, what is enough time?

I'm aware that going off SSRIs is not a good idea and don't need any warnings. Just information about the subject at hand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much :)

Celexa is pure fucking evil, in my opinion. Glad to see someone else discontinuing this evil med, too.

im currently on zoloft and was hoping to roll for my first time. is it bad to roll on while on an ssri regimen, if so why, like what are the effects?

If youre taking ANY SSRI, and I mean ANY, which includes the Zoloft you're currently taking, you WILL NOT ROLL. Do not waste your money.

The effects will be feeling sober / not getting any "typical" MDMA-feelings whatsoever.

But, please, for the love of MDMA, do not discontinue your medication, just so that you ARE able to roll. You will most definitely regret doing so, and I am speaking from experience :| As mentioned above, it would literally take weeks for the SSRI to be completely out of your system and for the MDMA to fully work its magic when consumed.

Sorry to say you most likely will not roll at all until the Zoloft is long out of your system for anywhere from 3-6 months. Source: 2 close girlfriends. How long have you been on the Zoloft?

If youre taking ANY SSRI, and I mean ANY, which includes the Zoloft you're currently taking, you WILL NOT ROLL. Do not waste your money.

The effects will be feeling sober / not getting any "typical" MDMA-feelings whatsoever.

But, please, for the love of MDMA, do not discontinue your medication, just so that you ARE able to roll. You will most definitely regret doing so, and I am speaking from experience :| As mentioned above, it would literally take weeks for the SSRI to be completely out of your system and for the MDMA to fully work its magic when consumed.

^ right on. Reason being the Zoloft controls how much and when the serotonin is released like clockwork. MDMA is not effective for Zoloft users because MDMA when taken releases almost all of the brains serotonin at once. Zoloft has already reworked the serotonin release to a timed system. Zoloft is essentially blocking the MDMA.

okay thanks for saving me some cash, and yea i wouldnt discontinue just to roll cuz ill end up going back to just sitting on my ass feeling helpless all day

only about 2.5 weeks now. im only on 50 mgs.

Still I believe that has been long enough to induce the changes in the brain. 50 mgs is a lot. Messing with your chemistry over and over is not worth it imo. It wil screw you up even more. Again this has happened to close friends of mine.

Now if the drs take you off of it one day and 6 months goes by and you have an opportunity to roll then hey it was meant to happen <3

so i took tramadol 2 days in row.
i took 125mg the first day.
25mg the second.

this was tues/weds.

i wanna roll next week.
does this mean i can't?

I've been on antidepressants of one kind or another for 10 years, mostly SSRIs. I quit my Prozac last December and tried MDMA for my first time 2 weeks later with absolutely no effects. I've been off SSRIs since that time (5 months) and am now able to roll magnificently.

SSRIs and SNRIs have different half-lives in the body, so research Cymbalta's duration of action specifically. I know that Prozac has the longest half-life of any SSRI, and it generally takes me about a year to fully "recover" from the discontinuation syndrome it causes when I quit. Some people bounce right back after quitting, so your mileage may vary.