• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

Fatal Mushroom Trip - 7 Grams - First and Last Attempt

Bad_Trip

Bluelighter
A friend of mine and myself had been planning on eating a large quantity of mushrooms for a long time. We have both had fairly extensive experience with mushrooms; usually eat 3 to 5 grams at a time. This time we decided we would both try and munch a 1/4 each (7 grams). When we picked up the mush from our dealer he warned us that he had gotten a new batch, which know one had tried yet, but was told that they were very potent. We purchased a 1/4 each and went back to my place to eat them.
After devouring the mush at my place we decided to head over to a friends, who was having a small party that night. While we were driving over we could both feel the mush coming on pretty strong, so we decided to stop at a park on the way to have a little break, and trip out in nature for a while. After this point, things get pretty vague and I don't really remember exactly what happened.
All I can really remember is feeling the mush coming on really strong when we were parked in the parking lot of the park, and telling my friend that maybe this was a bad idea to eat a 1/4. I remember him telling me that he agreed, and that he wasn't feeling too good. After this point in our trip things took a really bad turn for the worse.
I was loosing touch with reality, everything seemed so complicated, I was hullucinating really bad to the point that I couldn't see anything that was real, everything was a hullucination coming from inside my fucked up brain, nothing was making sense, and eventually I lost it. I didn't know what was happening anymore, I didn't know where I was, I didn't know who I was with, I didn't even know what I was anymore for that matter. I remember feeling REALLY scared, thinking I was going to die. All I could think of was death, a little voice inside my head kept telling me that "I'm going to die, and it's alright", when I asked the little voice why I was going to die it simply said "mushrooms". I don't know for sure how long I was in this state of mind since it seemed like an eternity, but I would have to estimate 3 to 4 hours.
Finally after what seemed like forever, it felt as though a huge weight had been taken off my brain, and I was somewhat able to think and see again. It felt like I was coming out of a coma, even though I've never been in one before. I was able to understand what was happening now, and why. I remembered that I had eaten a shit load of mush, and must have gotten really fucked from it. I also realized that I was curled up in a little ball in the driver seat of my car, practically naked, and freezing cold. I just realized that I forgot to mention that it was winter time (-10 celcius). Anyways, I figure I must have taken my clothes off at some point in the trip, but can't remember when, or what I had done with them. Then I remembered that my good friend Luke was with me, but he wasn't in my car anymore, and I had no idea where he went.
I just sat there in my car, naked, freezing cold, and in shock for a long time; I was still really fucked up, which is why I never started my car to get warm, since it was so cold out. I would have to estimate I sat there for another 2 to 3 hours.
I finally started to feel more normal, so I motivated myself to try and find out what happened with my clothes, and my friend Luke. This is when things went from bad, to undescribably horrid.
I got out of my car and walked around it in hopes of finding my clothes. To my astonishment I found Luke curled up in a ball, naked in the snow bank beside my car. He was totally white; and when I called to him he didn't respond. I knew he was dead almost instantly, but it took several hours to come to grips with it. I sat in my car, crying, thinking awful thaoughts that I don't even want to mention, until sunrise. Then I dialed 911 on my cell phone and told my story to the very kind lady on the other end of the line.
The mushrooms didn't directly kill my friend, it was hypothermia. If he wouldn't have been so looped out of his mind like I was from the mush, he would have never gotten himself in the position that he did. I am very lucky to be alive today, as I could have very easily died from hypothermia as well. The police, and paramedics figured that the car must have retained some of my body heat to keep me alive, or maybe I started the car at some point in my trip, and I just don't remember.
Since the "trip" I have had severe emotional problems. I am getting therapy right now, but it hasn't really improved my emotional state at all. I have also since been kicked out of college because my grades are too low, and because I am not emotionally stable. I spend most of my days crying, and contemplating suicide. I wish this would have never happened. I think I have scarred myself for life, actually I know I have.
I guess the lesson from all of this is, if you're gonna do drugs, be sensible, know your limits, and always have a sober person around just in case.
[ 30 January 2002: Message edited by: Bad_Trip ]
[ 30 January 2002: Message edited by: Bad_Trip ]

Thank you for sharing. Just another reminder folks, drugs are serious business and can kill if used improperly.

I am sorry about your horrible experience and your friend's death. I hope the therapy helps. I appreciate you sharing your story. If you haven't done so already, you might want to submit this to Erowid. Good luck to you in the future.
[ 30 January 2002: Message edited by: Catch-22 ]

it's good of you to be able to speak out about this experience of yours. Maybe it will act as a good warning to shroom eaters everywhere. take care.........

i'm so sorry to hear about this. when a person is taken from us it can never be justified or rationalised. you'll get through this tho i know it... if you want to mail me it's [email protected].
peace

Man I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal.
I'd urge you to stick out the therapy. And you can get support on this site any time. Stick around.
Time is the best healer.

I'm so very very sorry about your friend and I'm sorry for all that you are going through. Just remember that, even though it may not seem like it, we all have reserves of strength to draw on when things go really bad. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Karen

damn bro...that is bad.. if your seeing a psychiatrist... make sure you are not eating any zoloft, or prozac..it will only make things worse.. when you feel you NEED a drug to feel normal thats when things go down hill, i had a psychiatrist tell me i was clinically depressed and tried to force me to take zoloft, i threatened him, lol. but seriously, you have the mentality to over come this.. dont fuk that up with anti depressants...
ps. i'm sorry about your friend bro, that is nothing less than horrible.

god thats terrible. I am very moved from this story and in fact, it has deterred me from a similiar plan i had for this weekend (except i wasnt plannin on leavin my dorm room).
I am very sorry to hear about this tragic loss and i hope u can recover and be able to function normally in society again.
But one note...
drugs are serious business and can kill if used improperly.
Drugs tend not to kill people (with the exception of the drugs that one can overdose on), the environment the user is in is what causes the injury or fatality. Had Bad_Trip and her friend been comfortably parked on a couch or a warm comforter in a nice house with friends food and merryment, the night would have most likely turned out to be an incredibly wonderful expierence. Im not passing judgement of any sort, as we're all human and prone to imperfection, but i dont think the "drugs will kill you" vibe needs to be passed around anymore. Its all based on the sense of the user. Everyone must do their part in responsibility.
to sum it up with the ever-classic proverb:
Know your body know ur drug know ur (something im too tired to remember) know ur souce...
or somethign like that...

really sorry to hear about it. i havent had to deal with death untill 1 week ago. my grandfather. its a horrible experince. again, im really sorry man.

Bad_Trip: I am very sorry for your loss and I extend to you my deepest sympathy.
myke: The advice you have given is terrible and grossly inaccurate. While you wern't helped from SSRI's such as Prozac and Zoloft many people are. More times than not it is in the best interest of the patient to listen to the doctor and take what is prescribed.
when you feel you NEED a drug to feel normal thats when things go down hill
I beg to differ. What about chronic pain patients who need opiates to function? Or what about people with diabetes, should they stop taking insulin? You should rethink your logic on that one, buddy.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. :( And about the therapy, be strong dude!
Welcome to Bluelight. The harm reduction forum, remember to share it with your friends, drugs aren't fun unless theyre done safe (as can be).
Thanks for sharing your report with us, and good luck in the future.

I am very, very sorry to hear of your loss. Continue to seek therapy, it will get better. You have my deepest sympathies.
Originally posted by THE WOOD:
Drugs tend not to kill people (with the exception of the drugs that one can overdose on), the environment the user is in is what causes the injury or fatality. Had Bad_Trip and her friend been comfortably parked on a couch or a warm comforter in a nice house with friends food and merryment, the night would have most likely turned out to be an incredibly wonderful expierence.
Not to argue, but this is not necessarily true. All it takes is one very high person wanting to go exploring to slip out the door without anybody noticing. Slip out the door and into the snow, or a river, or the ocean or into traffic. It could have happened anywhere, at any time.
I'm very sorry. :(

i am sorry about what happened to your friend Luke and yourself, you will get through this. Don't worry, you will see your friend agian.
james

wow, insane...
Hope you can get over this and continue with your life <Bad Trip>, Best wishes...