• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax doses: IR vs. XR

504vape

Greenlighter
hey. just registered but I've read some stuff on this site before. I used the search feature to try to find an answer to my question, but the threads I found didn't specify whether they were talking about Xanax XR or IR. What I want to know is: How much IR do you need to get high? How much XR do you need to get high? Which is better? Its been awhile since I've had Xanax. Thanks! If I am mistaken, and this has been covered before, please link me.

IR: Fast onset. Short duration. Best recreational form. .5, 1, and 2mg pills. (.5-1mg for starters, 1.5-2mg for tolerant users.) (Every 4-6 hours or as needed. Up to 10mg a day)
XR: Slow onset. Long duration. Worst recreational form. 1-3mg pills. (1-2x a day for everyone.) (Up to 10mgs a day.)

I think it would be safe to assume that people are talking about xanax IR, unless they specify that they are talking about xr

IR: Fast onset. Short duration. Best recreational form. .5, 1, and 2mg pills. (.5-1mg for starters, 1.5-2mg for tolerant users.) (Every 4-6 hours or as needed. Up to 10mg a day)
XR: Slow onset. Long duration. Worst recreational form. 1-3mg pills. (1-2x a day for everyone.) (Up to 10mgs a day.)
Thanks!

I think it would be safe to assume that people are talking about xanax IR, unless they specify that they are talking about xr
I figured, but I wanted to make sure

Another question:
I used to take 1 mg xanax XR nightly for anxiety but that stopped about a month ago. I never really felt any different after taking them. After reading the above posts, I plan on taking about .75 IR Xanax tomorrow, hoping that my tolerance is down after taking about a month off the Xanax XR. Today, I got a hold of some lorazepam and took 1 mg; didn't really feel much. Did I just screw up my tolerance?

Oh, and since I'm anxiety prone, should I take a bit more than .75 to get high?

No, your tolerance is higher than that. 1-mg of xanax will do you good. If not .5 more will do.

You should hover around 1-2mg.

Xanax is the only drug where tolerance has SHOT UP for me. 1mg one night did (honestly) half what it did for me the night before. It's a great drug but try not to rely on it for sleep. I've found Melatonin to do wonders for sleep and it's not addictive as far as I'm aware.

I'll probably take 1 mg of instant release. I have some .5 mg XRs in case that doesn't do anything. That's interesting about Xanax raising your tolerance that high..I hope I didn't screw myself by taking the lorazepam

I didn't mean to scare you. Hell, I finished 60mg of Xanax in a two month period and I'm happy to say I suffered no w/d's. They're great drugs if you use them for a period of anxiety. They're just not good long-term fixes.

What sort of feeling does this pill give you? I would hope that maybe it is a euphoric feeling....I have a prescription for 0.5 mg.

Most people compare it to being a clean drunk feeling.... You will feel relaxed, and won't really have a care in the world... just floating along. You will feel tired with your first doses, and can easily fall asleep if you don't move around a bit.

Not a knock your socks off kinda thing, just a nice calm sensation and slight muscle relaxation.

Most people compare it to being a clean drunk feeling.... You will feel relaxed, and won't really have a care in the world... just floating along. You will feel tired with your first doses, and can easily fall asleep if you don't move around a bit.

That's exactly what it is. Take enough you'll even have the memory loss. I took a bunch of gabitril (another GABA-receptor drug like benzos and alcohol) a while ago and ended up living ~24 hours on autopilot. Pretty interesting stuff. "Woke up" sitting in my computer chair IMing a friend.

They work differently.

Alcohol = Direct Agonist. (Takes over the action of GABA itself.)
Gabatril = Re-uptake inhibitor. (Stops the brain from transporting GABA leading to more in the brain to use.)
Benzodiazepine= Indirect Agonist. (Makes GABA work more efficiently, not acting as GABA itself.)

Alcohol is the most sedating. (Directly bonds and is stronger than GABA.)

Gabitril is not as sedating as alcohol but is more sedating than Benzodiazepines. (Increases the amount of GABA in the brain, therefor indirectly increasing usage)

Benzodiazepines are the least sedating. (Does not increase the amount, and makes more of the GABA you already have bond better.)

Thanks again for all of the help. This is how today went:
At lunch at school, I gave my friend four .25 Xanax IRs, and I had four. I know you all probably think I'm an idiot for doing this at school, but there's something to be said about being fucked up at school...
As she has no experience with xanax, her tolerance is lower than mine. Still, I started to feel it before she did. I gave her another .25. There was some crushed up xanax powder in the container where I kept it so we put some of that under our tongues. We both felt very calm, slightly slow, but still functional. It was a very good testing dose for sure. We had fun being in class, but we were still in control. She liked the fact that she had trouble walking in a straight line haha. In the end, we both enjoyed the experience thoroughly, and plan on doing it again.