• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

IT Cetification Exam MEGA-Thread

RedLeader

Bluelight Crew
I figure that BL/E&C could use something like this - a thread about various IT certifications with a bit of structure. A lot of people on BL work in IT, and others are currently trying to make the IT climb. And as certification(s) mean more and more these days in various IT sub-fields, I think it would be great to talk about and review the various tests. Really, covering anything from CompTia to Oracle to Cisco to...

The only restriction is that we don't get into exams specifically administered by individual colleges/universities; meaning that your CSSE3003 final exam is not appropriate!

It would probably help to adhere to some type of review format, kind of like those used to review pills or stamps in the focus forums. I propose:

Name of Exam*:
Year Taken:
Country (taken in):
Comments on Exam Format/Presentation:
Comments on Exam Difficulty:
Preparation Material Suggestions (books, websites, strategies, etc):

*If you took a certain format of an exam, such as for A+ where you take the essential test and an optional portion together, please specify the elective(s).

If you've passed/attempted multiple exams, please feel free to list them all!

I have worked in IT for several years, graduated an IT program from a public College, and am currently working part-time in an IT role while also attending University part-time.

I am happy to say that I have zero certifications, and have no plans of getting any.

Why?

Computers are an interesting field, and I have learned a lot, but barring some big push by a charitable employer, my formal education in this field is finished. Anything I learn from here on out will be on-the-job as provided, and as necessary. I only get to live so long, and there are many, many more subjects to tackle. If you specialize too much, you may wake up one day and find yourself in a corner.

My second reason is that I did try to take the A+ exam after College, and was unable to find anywhere that would simply allow me to take the exam. Every place I went wanted me to take their training course. When I declined, they said they couldn't help me.

Finally, as stated on my resume: Support public education, not private certifications <-- I think this sums everything up nicely, and actually helped land my last job.

Sorry for the hijack. If you feel it's out of place, feel free to remove my post. I won't be offended.

anyone know which useful IT certifications i would be able to get with out college?

I did the course work for Network+ never took the test. I wouldn't recommend any of the Cisco/network+ stuff unless you have a career path for a net admin/engineer. A+ is a joke and should be avoided unless you want to work at Best Buy. It may be a req for some positions but if you have the exp they shouldn't care. MCSE seems to be big for must haves for employers. Linux/unix its all experience. Redhat has some courses for big $$$$ but you won't get hired on the basis of courses. What an f'd industry. Waaay too specific for my liking.

Last edited:
A+ is a joke and should be avoided unless you want to work at Best Buy. [...] MCSE seems to be big for must haves for employers. Linux/unix its all experience.

The good thing about A+ is that one can couple A+/Networking+ or A+/Security+ and use that as the elective requirement of the MCSE.

I should say "was" because MCITP has since kind of taken over, and all of its exams are inclusive. However, if you get the MCSE in the current day (using A+/_+), you can upgrade to MCITP through only two inclusive exams.

If someone is actively pursuing a career in Hardware/PC Tech. like I mentioned below A+ is only worth it if you have no higher aspirations then a big box store. A lot of HR people will list it as a requirement, but if you have +2 yrs exp vs. A+ rookie, experience always pays out (like most things in IT). That's what I was getting at.

I have no idea why anyone in IT would get an A+ cert really anyways, I guess like you suggested as a quicker roadmap to something more substantial. The only problem I could see if you were being interviewed by HR, and its a requirement for whatever professional field your applying for (gov't, medical, etc.).

Wow jp, long time no see :)

Glad to see you're still around.

Cyc (Kyk)

I have to agree that IT exams are mostly a cash grab. If I were an employer, I'd be looking at College/University, then job experience, then if it really came down to the wire, maybe certs.

Most employers are actively looking B. CS grads even for non-development type IT work. And that's just to get an interview.
If anything IT demands that you overspecialize, as a side note, so pursuing as much windows admin certs or related experience while ignoring everything else is very valuable. It saves you money and time in applying for jobs that only pertain to you and your skillset. Its best to figure out early what you want to do in IT. And pursue that to a very specific point. Ill end my rant.

Nice to see you are still around kyk. :)

ok, i thought i would stroll into the E&C forum to see if i would stumble across anything in relation to IT certs, and i found this...

After being in and out of the IT industry in banking for years, i have now gone back to an employer i use to work for, and im now there Network Support Officer, i may as well be the Admin, since my boss doesnt really do to much network stuff anymore.

I also decided that its probably time i get some certs since i have been "winging" it most my career (about 5 years)

So this is what i have done so far

Name of Exam*: 70-270 - Installing, Configuring and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Year Taken: Jan 2010
Country (taken in): Sydney, Australia
Comments on Exam Format/Presentation: Typical MS Exam
Comments on Exam Difficulty: Piece of piss
Preparation Material Suggestions (books, websites, strategies, etc): I used some practice exams from examcollection.com

Name of Exam*: 70-290 - Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
Year Taken: March 2010
Country (taken in): Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Comments on Exam Format/Presentation: As above
Comments on Exam Difficulty: Even though i would say its the entry level 2003 exam, you need to know your stuff... Plenty of Sims.
Preparation Material Suggestions (books, websites, strategies, etc): MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit link, and also examcollection.com again

Im currently doing some self study for the 70-680 - Configuring Windows 7, Have the MS Press book, which seems to be working a treat. Im about half way thru it and i am not even close to being confident enough of considering going for the tests.

Once i have done that, i will do the 70-291, which will complete my MCSA. I had planned on getting my MCSE, but i have opted to go down MCSA and then upgrade paths to MCITP

At this stage, i have work paying for my self study books, and exams if i pass... Which has been really helpful.

Another website i go just to check out some stuff is techexams.net

how things change in about 3 weeks

im going for my 70-680 test on monday. im a lot more confident now than i was when i originally posted above.

i really hope i pass this one so i can concentrate on getting 70-291.

passed by a bee's dick

i needed 700, i got 727.

i had 66 questions... and it was quite difficult...

im happy i have got that out of the way...

70-291, you're mine bitch!

By the end of June hopefully.

I have the self study book, which i will start reading in a few days... There is one full chapter dedicated to the theory of networks and subnets and / notations... its going to do my head in, but if i can just go head down bum up for it... i should pull thru ok.

I took the A+ in 2006, the old version of the exam (company required and sponsored). The old test was hilarious, lots of port questions and win95 questions (really?). Just always think WhatWouldBillGatesDo and you'll get it right.
I have my apple certification, and those tests are fairly easy, just study the material but it is recommended to get company sponsorship, because you get access to the study guides, otherwise it costs about 500$ US to get access. You have to re-certify every year.
Sony, HP and toshiba require A+. Then for HP you take a short quiz, Toshiba you do a day of training, and Sony you are good to go.
I like my job, taking apart laptops and repairing them. Warranty work is fairly lucrative, and you bill the company.

I agree that warranty work can be lucrative, if your employer doesn't try to turn the business into a mill, paying technicians a few bucks over min. wage while billing out $70-80 to Toshiba, HP, Sony, etc.

Agreed. I work for a pretty good company, where I get a much higher than minimum wage rate, and a portion of what I bill. Which makes it worthwhile. I like working with computers, they don't lie. But after a couple of years working with them, I do believe in magic :)

Exam:Just passed A+ 220-701 and 220-702 exams today (first cert exams taken, which were extremely easy). I studied a few weeks for them, and used a software program to take practice exams (Visual CertExam Manager). Now I will be getting ready for Net+ and Security+ in the next few months.
Country Taken: USA
Prep: Bought the CompTIA A+ study book, and also used the Visual CertExam Manager to take several practice tests.

^ Good on you for passing!

Good luck studying for the other CompTIA ones. Do you have a plan after that? Either in terms of work or going like a MS, Cisco, etc. certification route?

I am still currently in school, so I have to finish that first (have about 10-12 months left). Then from there, I have to see what jobs are available and whatnot after graduating. After the CompTIA ones, I do want to take the CCNA and possibly a Microsoft one, but am not sure which MS one I want to take. My school provides free vouches for exams while I am enrolled, so I am trying to make the best use out of those vouchers and take as many exams as possible.

if all goes to plan, i will be going for my 70-291 test on Thursday.

I feel confident enough to go for it.

When i pass, i complete my MCSA... so i will be stoked. Maybe give myself a month off before looking at going down the upgrade path to MCITP - Server Administrator

I was looking into getting the compTIA certs, but i have been advised by my boss not to worry about them for now, as my experience in the industry is just as good.