PDA

View Full Version : (benzos) Concerning Mylan Klonopin and how it has changed.

poppyplanet
11-03-2010, 14:29
I know this has been covered but not enough, in my opinion, sorry mods. But has anyone noticed, especially in the last year or so, that mylan klonopin is ALOT weaker than other brands. And no, it's definetly NOT my tolerance. I know that by my own calculations and experiences with this benzo. I think poeple should start complaining to whoever controls this and put a quick end to it. For only ONE example of my theory, I can take 1mg of xanax and feel a good sigh of anxiety relief while I need at least 10mg of mylan klonopin, when klonopin is supposse to be another superior type benzo. And mind you, this is after the 2 hour peak plasma blood level. It just doesn't add up. I've taken the name brand before WHILE having a klonopin tolerance and they don't even compare, so something fishy is definetly going on. Thanks for reading, Any thoughts?

debaser
11-03-2010, 14:33
Don't know for clonaz, but I had some Mylan alpraz (.25mg ones) and it was ok, did the job.

logie
11-03-2010, 16:26
Cant say I've had the experience with Mylan Klonopin, but i have thought/said/maybe even posted the same thing about my generic xanax rx..

I think tis is the way benzos are :( One day it's just... not the same at all.

disasterline
11-03-2010, 18:43
not a big fan of the mylans, i cringe when i go to the pharmacy and look in my bottle and see that is what i got.

although i started going to another pharmacy last year and they have had the tevas. i like them much more. although im sure its just all in my head

Captain.Heroin
11-03-2010, 20:03
Any thoughts?

I won't take clonazepam because I get paradoxical reactions, it's really nothing special in the world of benzos.

If you don't like a generic brand get a different generic or a brand name. You can choose your manufacturer of your medication, you know that right?

woamotive
11-03-2010, 20:26
I've never had any issues with this brand. Like Caption H said, you CAN request another brand/generic. Next time I get this kind, I'll pay more attention to it and how it makes me feel (in comparison).

poppyplanet
11-03-2010, 20:38
Thanks guys. I just got the Tevas. I'll come back on and let you know how they were compared to the other generics I usually get. Thanks again for your advice Captain Heroin.

Captain.Heroin
11-03-2010, 21:18
I got a bottle of 5mg diazepam tablets by Mylan, they still effect me fine. I only have one left and probably won't take it, I don't like how groggy I get in the morning.

The temazepam I get is manufactured by Mallinkrodt and it is spot on!

Thanks guys. I just got the Tevas. I'll come back on and let you know how they were compared to the other generics I usually get. Thanks again for your advice Captain Heroin.

Cool, let us know how it goes.

I am not sure if this thread is going to stay in OD but I won't close it for now. I think it's OK to discuss this as long as it doesn't get to be the same old "no it is" "yuh huh" argument.

If you also don't like the Teva's I would suggest switching to an equivalent amount of lorazepam (2x as much) - I think it would work better IMO, but then again some people have bad reactions to one benzo over another.

How long have you been taking clonazepam?

StaffWriter
11-03-2010, 21:48
This isn't really going to get anywhere. It's probably just placebo. I've never noticed a difference between different generic benzodiazepines, since the effects of benzos are so subtle anyway. The ONLY generic difference I "think" I've felt is Mallinkrodt Hydrocodones. But that's also probably placebo. If not, it could be a difference in rate of absorption due to different types of binders and fillers in generic pills.

Captain.Heroin
11-03-2010, 21:52
This isn't really going to get anywhere. It's probably just placebo. I've never noticed a difference between different generic benzodiazepines, since the effects of benzos are so subtle anyway. The ONLY generic difference I "think" I've felt is Mallinkrodt Hydrocodones. But that's also probably placebo. If not, it could be a difference in rate of absorption due to different types of binders and fillers in generic pills.

These are all very probable explanations SW!

debaser
11-03-2010, 21:59
Yes, I once had some generic bromazepam over the Roche ones (bromazepam is the first prescribed benzo in France), and due to binders and fillers I couldn't let them dissolve sublingually like the Roche's. Apart from that, they were the same.

Volcano
12-03-2010, 00:42
I get scriped the green 1mg Mylans and they're fine to me.

poppyplanet
12-03-2010, 00:50
Well I've been eating the Teva brand for the last few hours and yes, believe it or not, they are better than mylans. And no, it's not placebo. I know my own body, especially after all the years of experimentation I've done on it. I would switch benzos but my benzo of choice is and always was xanax and until I find a doctor to cater to that decision, I'll stick with the K pins. Thanks again.

dredmentia
12-03-2010, 02:15
Klonopin is one of the few meds where the different generics seem to be totally inconsistent with eachother. I was on the brand for 2 years until I lost my good insurance plan, and now im forced to get the generic. The first generic I tried was the PurePac ones, and they might as well have been sugar pills. The Sandoz and Caraco ones are alright, but still noticably weaker. The ones made by Teva seem to be the closest in quality to the brand name ones. In the northeast, particularly New York, CVS and Rite Aid carry the teva brand, Walgreens carries the Caraco, and Duane Reade carries the Sandoz. Ive never had the Mylan ones, but my friend told me they suck compared to the Teva/Brand. And maybe its just me, but the brand seemed to produce a slightly different (better) feeling than any of the generics. I think it has more to do with how the pills are formulated and break down in your body than the actual ammount of clonazapam in them. But yeah, Teva is definetly my favorite generic.

disasterline
12-03-2010, 02:45
last year i was watching PCN (Pennsylvania Cable News) and they were showing the states congress or whatever it is called like they normally do. but this time i watched it because i thought it was interesting.

it was about benzo generics, i couldnt believe it! they had people testify or whatever that their child/husband/wife/relative/friend who had seizure disorders mainly, but there was another disease or disorder they talked about also.

all of them said the same thing, that their generic anti-seizure medicine didnt work well at all, specificlly vali-stat or something like that (valium in a needless syringe, to put up your bum) and klonopin. they were arguing that some state law hinders their ability to get the name brand.

so according to these 30+ people who testified generics were no where near as good as the name brand vali-stat and klonopin when it came to controlling seizures

i thought this might be helpful for someone

Inrvizion
29-03-2010, 22:50
I have taken a great deal of benzos in my day ( think ten bars in the morning with my coffee ) and in my experience Mylan Clonazepam is less than half as effective as Teva or brand name. On the other hand, Mylan Alprazolam is excellent - my second favorite next to those Banana Bars... Just my two cents but I have done extensive personal research on this matter and I believe that PoppyPlanet is without a doubt completely correct.

Pegasus
30-03-2010, 20:16
This gets discussed very often, and I have even believed it myself... so I would recommend getting a different generic (Caraco is the one I settled on), or just getting the name brand ones.

OxyKid69
30-03-2010, 22:41
HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY i wondered the same fuckign thing!
last month...they changed my clonz scipt to this mylan stuff and i thought it was weaker too but i thought it was my head just fucking with me.....is there any way to argue with ur dr or pharmacy(is it ur dr who picks or the pharmacy?)...........the onthery ones said pms i think right?...my xanax changed too

brutus
30-03-2010, 22:59
I noticed the same thing. I am not one of those people who believe that brand name works better than generics, but Mylan Klonopin fucking sucks. It seems like one pill may be .5mg then another pill may be 2mg, the quality fucking sucks. I switched to another generic brand, just ask your pharmacist and they should order you a different brand if you want.

etherbunny
01-04-2010, 06:37
I can definitely say there is a difference in most of the generic medication manufacturers. I've had recent and current experience with Mylan Diazepam 5mg and Clonazepam 1mg. In my opinion the Teva brand generic Clonazepam is more effective than Mylan. I just refilled my script of clonazepam and forgot to request Teva's and now I'm stuck with a whole bunch of Mylans.

The Diazepam, Mylan, was noticeably weaker than my previous brand, can't remember the who made them, but they were not name brand. I've only tried name brand Vicoden, Percocet, Ritalin, Adderal, and Dexedrine.

There is also a difference in ritalin generics. I like the ones I get from CVS the most.

Peace and love

Etherbunny

HeavyHanded
01-04-2010, 09:32
When I read the the subject of this thread I immediately grabbed my bottle. I recently (a few months ago) switched pharms and noticed a change in brand. Shortly thereafter I noticed what I thought was a rapid build up in tolerance. I went from 1mg a night to 1.5 to 1.75 and am now taking a full 2 mg per night and STILL thinking, man this just isn't cutting it. Sure enough, it's generic Mylan.

My Dr. was getting worried too, saying I shouldn't need such a high dose etc, and was very hesitant in prescribing 2mgs. I have no recent experience with other benzos or other brands but this definitely as my attention now.

Whats the best option here? I just got a fresh refill, so I'm stuck for another month, but should I change pharms? Ask my Dr. to mark the no substitutes box? What do you guys think? Id hate to think I'm gettin ripped off over here.

etherbunny
01-04-2010, 09:46
When I read the the subject of this thread I immediately grabbed my bottle. I recently (a few months ago) switched pharms and noticed a change in brand. Shortly thereafter I noticed what I thought was a rapid build up in tolerance. I went from 1mg a night to 1.5 to 1.75 and am now taking a full 2 mg per night and STILL thinking, man this just isn't cutting it. Sure enough, it's generic Mylan.

My Dr. was getting worried too, saying I shouldn't need such a high dose etc, and was very hesitant in prescribing 2mgs. I have no recent experience with other benzos or other brands but this definitely as my attention now.

Whats the best option here? I just got a fresh refill, so I'm stuck for another month, but should I change pharms? Ask my Dr. to mark the no substitutes box? What do you guys think? Id hate to think I'm gettin ripped off over here.

Just wait out this month and next month when filling your script try CVS and ask the pharmacist what manufaturers they keep in stock and which they can order. That way you can request Teva brand next time.

That's what I'm going to do, wonder how much it's going to be off insurance. Printout says 48 bucks, which I can do, but who knows what to expect when I refill it next month.

Peace and love

Etherbunny

Pusswhip Banggang
01-04-2010, 16:24
I started on the namebrand Klonopins, and at a much weaker dosage... those worked awesome. The Tevas which were 1 mgs worked well, and now the Mylans are garbage. Even though I get 90 instead of 60 now...

Rexeh
01-04-2010, 17:03
I have read somewhere (could be BL) that generic versions are required to have at least 80% of the active substance so there is a possibility that they try to make more money by shaving off 20% (which would net them an extra pill for every four produced, or 10.000 for every 40.000 which means huge profits... imagine your weed/coke/dope dealer giving you a gram for free every time you buy five grams, instead of adding 20% cheap cuts to every gram of coke or 20% crushed up leaves to a pound of weed LOL! =D).

I sometimes get generic Methylphenidate instead of Novartis brand Ritalin and they don't even compare, same for generic Oxycodone compared to Mundipharma OxyContins. I always get Teva group Diazepam / Temazepam or Roche Rivotril (the minty 0.5 mg Clonazepam tablets) as we don't have such a pharmaceutical market compared to the US it seems. Although the market for antidepressants / antipsychotics is very shady with advertising and doctors seem to love prescribing the newest 'miracle cures' on the market.

At one point I had created a collection (I have this weird hobby of collecting all sorts of pharms, I have even the most useless kinds like Ibuprofen or Caffeine tablets) of all my prescriptions from the past few years including Venlafaxine (Effexor), Mianserin, Trazodone, Quetiapine (Seroquel), Dipiperone, Amitriptyline (Elavil), Mirtazapine (Remeron), Moclobemide (Aurorix), Olanzapine (Zyprexa), Aripiprazole (Abilify), Dutch doctors are pill-crazy quacks TBH... last time I asked for a mild sleeping aid one prescribed me Temazepam (Restoril) while I was hoping for something like Zopiclone or Zolpidem. 8) I am not complaining though... ;)

FWIW: I got all of that stuff for a simple depression but none actually helped and some of them made me feel like a zombie. One (Effexor, horrible stuff) actually gave me a major manic episode followed by a seizure like those Grand Mal seizures epileptic people get, scary stuff. :\

Sorry for the Amphetamine induced ramble BTW ;)

http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/23.gif -- Peace o/

debaser
01-04-2010, 17:08
^ Do you have the white 2mg Roche Rivotril in the Netherlands?

etherbunny
01-04-2010, 23:49
At one point I had created a collection (I have this weird hobby of collecting all sorts of pharms, I have even the most useless kinds like Ibuprofen or Caffeine tablets) of all my prescriptions from the past few years including Venlafaxine (Effexor), Mianserin, Trazodone, Quetiapine (Seroquel), Dipiperone, Amitriptyline (Elavil), Mirtazapine (Remeron), Moclobemide (Aurorix), Olanzapine (Zyprexa), Aripiprazole (Abilify), Dutch doctors are pill-crazy quacks TBH... last time I asked for a mild sleeping aid one prescribed me Temazepam (Restoril) while I was hoping for something like Zopiclone or Zolpidem. 8) I am not complaining though... ;)

FWIW: I got all of that stuff for a simple depression but none actually helped and some of them made me feel like a zombie. One (Effexor, horrible stuff) actually gave me a major manic episode followed by a seizure like those Grand Mal seizures epileptic people get, scary stuff. :\

I have the same habbit, I have a nice collection of old script bottles, most of which have a fresh 30 day supply in them. Things like Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin, just going through the medical cabinet and looking around the computer desk, Vivactil, Remeron, Buspar, Tegretol, Lamictal, and Depakote. Pretty much everything but MAOIs and Lithium.

That doesn't even include the 'take homes' I got from a last year EM visit. I got haloperidol, Thorazine, Haldol and all the atypical anti-psychotics, except Invega. My insurance wouldn't pick it up and I wasn't paying 600 a bottle.

"Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can."

Hunter S Thompson

Just like when I was manic I would collect 'tokens' from my conquests at parties and with women, I now have my true collection; and not a single law broken.

Peace and love

Etherbunny

BaybeX
02-04-2010, 01:04
I have read somewhere (could be BL) that generic versions are required to have at least 80% of the active substance so there is a possibility that they try to make more money by shaving off 20% (which would net them an extra pill for every four produced, or 10.000 for every 40.000 which means huge profits... imagine your weed/coke/dope dealer giving you a gram for free every time you buy five grams, instead of adding 20% cheap cuts to every gram of coke or 20% crushed up leaves to a pound of weed LOL! =D).

No, No, No, No, NO!

No, its not like that. If its a 100mg morphine pill, it has 100mg of morphine, always. The key word in my previous post is "bioequivalence." So the 100mg of morphine, along with whatever other filler it has, must be be in the 80%-125% range in effects, not actual dosage. The types of things they measure are Cmax (peak plasma concetration), AUC (area under the curve), etc. Those key numbers for the new generic formulation must yield ("bioequivalency") results in between 80%-125% of those for the brand name. But it always has the exact dosage it says it does (unless there is some freak accident factory fuckup, but that doesn't count). Does that make sense?

I took this from a Name Brand vs. Generics thread from a few monrhs bacj, Believe me, he is correct.

HeavyHanded
02-04-2010, 03:15
Just wait out this month and next month when filling your script try CVS and ask the pharmacist what manufaturers they keep in stock and which they can order. That way you can request Teva brand next time.

That's what I'm going to do, wonder how much it's going to be off insurance. Printout says 48 bucks, which I can do, but who knows what to expect when I refill it next month.

Peace and love

Etherbunny

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it and will take try your suggestion. I guess Tevas are the best of the generics? Is this a pretty commonly shared belief or you humble opinion or what?

Also, does anyone know if pharms carry more than 1 type of generic on hand? or do certain pharms only go for certain brands? I never really thought about this before, but now im curious.:)

SpecialKid
02-04-2010, 05:08
Funny I noticed a difference when I was switched from Teva to Mylan but just attributed the difference to my tolerance. Do you guys ever snort the klonipin?

Pegasus
02-04-2010, 05:12

I sometimes get generic Methylphenidate instead of Novartis brand Ritalin and they don't even compare, same for generic Oxycodone compared to Mundipharma OxyContins. I always get Teva group Diazepam / Temazepam or Roche Rivotril (the minty 0.5 mg Clonazepam tablets) as we don't have such a pharmaceutical market compared to the US it seems. Although the market for antidepressants / antipsychotics is very shady with advertising and doctors seem to love prescribing the newest 'miracle cures' on the market.

I think the generic medicines actually have to show that it achieves a relatively equal plasma concentration after so much time compared to the original pill, not relatively equal actual amounts of drug... I don't remember too well, so if someone wants to dig up the specifics, that's be great....

Pegasus
02-04-2010, 05:14
Funny I noticed a difference when I was switched from Teva to Mylan but just attributed the difference to my tolerance. Do you guys ever snort the klonipin?

I have, but unless you have the 2mg and only snort like 0.5 - 1mg at a time, then the amount of powder is really a put-off for me. But they do definitely have interestingly different effects when snorted compared with when eaten...

HeavyHanded
02-04-2010, 07:46

I never have, but if like he V says it's worth it, then depending on the effects I might try.

I have, but unless you have the 2mg and only snort like 0.5 - 1mg at a time, then the amount of powder is really a put-off for me. But they do definitely have interestingly different effects when snorted compared with when eaten...

So, BW, you say the effects are interestingly different, how so? I sometimes wish I could enjoy the effects for longer before just falling asleep. Would that ROA help me achieve that by any chance? If not, what kind of differences could I expect? I do have the 2mgs btw, and I notice that they really don't taste bad, I can chew em up no problem, they're almost a little sweet. So I'm guessing that railing em wouldn't be so bad?

Pegasus
02-04-2010, 17:13
^Yeah, give it a shot, just do maybe 0.5 - 1mg depending on your tolerance and it will hit you really fast and fairly hard... IME, anyways...

debaser
02-04-2010, 17:28
^ Maybe like sublingual administration... I have some 2mg tabs, I can give it a try too... 0.5 for a start.

etherbunny
02-04-2010, 18:57

I just spent my whole night, from about midnight to 0330 doing the following;

Swallowing 1mg every 15 min
Sublingaly 1mg every 30 min
Snorting 1mg every 30 min

Needless to say I blacked out on the couch w/ a half eaten hot pocket on the table and a bite in my mouth. But prior to that I was on a 76 hour mania induced insomnia episode. I also took 200mg of seroquel to battle the insomnia.

I DO NOT recommend this to ANYONE who doesn't possess an in depth knowledge of benzos. I've been taking xanax, klonopin, valium and terazapam for about 2-3 years on and off. This however was my first 'recreational' use of klonopin. I must admit it was entertaining. I was making myself something that had to do w/ lunch meat, bread, tuna and spices; no clue what the goal was, and when I dropped down to get the lunch meat from the bottom shelf I tumbled and fell over, I had 0 sense of balance and not even seroquel could stop the euphoria 'high' I felt last night. But I'm prescribed these for a reason and won't be doing that again for the next 6 months or so. God bless a 2 mnth supply of 120 1mg pills x 2 + the xanax And serquel. Among other goodies.

But to be more direct in answering your question: Yes snorting klonopin works, it's even enjoyable, especially when u're also snorting Walgreen brand generic ritalin. The mintyness translates to nasal administration.

I'm starting a new thread in the basic drug discussion; as the topic doesn't fit here if anyone's interested in reading it.

Peace and love

Etherbunny

NlNl
14-12-2010, 18:49
I have definitely noticed something weird going on with Mylan clonazepam in the last year. Have taken it for a couple of years with no problem but in the last couple of months, I take before sleep and wake up in two hours with shakes and panic attack. Has never happened before. I had a few mgs of an older Mylan clonazepam prescription so tried it just for comparison. No problem. Worked fine so not something going on with me. I have switched back to the outrageously expensive Klonopin as no other options here and no problems either. Something going on with Mylan clonazepam.

Janja
21-03-2011, 02:36
IME, the Mylan clonazepam pales in comparison to the generic Teva clonazepam.

I think that 3mg Mylan = 1mg clonazepam.

And still, it's not even as good in subjective effects for me. Everything I preferred / enjoyed about clonazepam seems to be gone; it's like I know i'm on a benzo, but the soul of the clonazepam (easily my favorite benzo - in Teva form) has somehow vanished.

olsencorey0029
21-03-2011, 05:39
which ones are the Mylan oens, because i have noticed that a lot of them seem very week. I wont feel anything unless i take about 4. I dont think mine are mylan either - Also does anyone know if Klonopin is a lot stronger than clonzepam?

lmc422
21-03-2011, 07:23
I just got my klonapin script filled last week and noticed the pills was different than what I would normally get and bigger so I took it and noticed it was infact weaker!! I thought maybe it was tolerence but than I looked it up and it was the mylan ones this time and normally I get the Teva brand. which I personally think are much better than the Mylan brand. Or sometimes I get the Actavis brand and they are good too. no difference between those two but this mylan one is noticably not as strong. I have to use double what I normally use to get the same effect. Im not going to say Mylan is bad for all generics bc their roxys are good!! But their klonapins suck! Boo mylan! U didnt do so well with this drug. Two thumbs down on this formula!

Janja
21-03-2011, 07:57
which ones are the Mylan oens, because i have noticed that a lot of them seem very week. I wont feel anything unless i take about 4. I dont think mine are mylan either - Also does anyone know if Klonopin is a lot stronger than clonzepam?

Yes, I think the potency of Mylan is considerably less.

I still think, now nine hours later to note the effects again, that 3 1mg Mylan clonazepam pills are basically equal in strength to a single 1mg Teva clonazapam pill (I haven't had the Roche brand-name yet). =D:p:X

amapola
21-03-2011, 08:34
I'd just like to reiterate for anyone reading this that these are all perceived lesser effects and the amount of drug you are taking is the same regardless of the brand. That being said the perceived effects can be from less drug being delivered due to the specific brand preparation poorly dissolving or something along those lines. Just be extremely careful if trying to find a solution to the problem by taking more as the active ingredient is most assuredly still in there somewhere.

Janja
21-03-2011, 23:39
I know this has been covered but not enough, in my opinion, sorry mods. But has anyone noticed, especially in the last year or so, that mylan klonopin is ALOT weaker than other brands. And no, it's definetly NOT my tolerance. I know that by my own calculations and experiences with this benzo. I think poeple should start complaining to whoever controls this and put a quick end to it. For only ONE example of my theory, I can take 1mg of xanax and feel a good sigh of anxiety relief while I need at least 10mg of mylan klonopin, when klonopin is supposse to be another superior type benzo. And mind you, this is after the 2 hour peak plasma blood level. It just doesn't add up. I've taken the name brand before WHILE having a klonopin tolerance and they don't even compare, so something fishy is definetly going on. Thanks for reading, Any thoughts?

yes, I have noticed this. I am usually set for an entire day -- a fantastic benzo aura -- off of a single Teva 1mg. But this Mylan??

I have taken 7 1mg tablets today. That is just unheard of for me but I can hardly feel it. I think there's got to be more to this than the company would have us know. I sense something harry, and this is the worst, sparingly so, generic issue I have yet encountered.

Haha, I don't know. I wish we could start some sort of motion, because pretty much everyone agrees the the Mylan clonazepam is considerably worse than any other generic kpin, or the Roche brand itself.

The FDA should be alerted, frankly. It's a wild discrepancy. 8o

...I'm beginning to think my dealer may have left these out in his car and the freezing that took place destroyed a large number of the drug ?

amapola
22-03-2011, 00:00
Okay the mods have discussed this and we have decided that differing brand discussion of this sort isn't appropriate for Other Drugs. The harm reduction value is limited and unless someone can produce scientific studies that the drug is actually not being effectively released, it will only lead to speculation, differing opinions, etc.

If you are unhappy with the effects of a certain brand speak to your doctor about having it switched. As the amount of active ingredient in the preparation is assuredly the same, you could also try dissolving it before administration to eliminate any problems with the breakdown of the pill.

If you have any questions feel free to PM.