• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos self priscription diazepam

try hydroxyzine.. it's an antihistamine with anti anxiety properties.. i take it in combination with clonidine (a blood pressure med) and it works just as good as diazepam (which i have a script of also, just in case the other meds don't cut it in an extremely anxious situation) try it out, it has less abuse potential and addiction than benzos and it works.. its also excellent at potentiating opiates if your into that sorta thing. good luck.. i know anxiety sucks and can be hard to live/deal with. :\

EDIT: and for your question about using SWIM or something in that sense, we don't do that here so you did the right thing. :)

Last edited:
I'm ready for a swim, who else is? :D

If you choose to continue self-using benzos you'll find a world of source information on OTHER boards. Not implying you were, but hint hint... valium is not that hard to buy online.

That feeling that the V's are a "wonder drug" is exactly why they're so frequently abused. Its fine to look for suggestions online, but trying to self-prescribe for a real medical situation is never a good idea. If anxiety is truly a problem that stands in the way of a successful and comfortable existence, why not see a doctor about it?

I personally found hydroxyzine to be ineffective, but I think that is because I've been prescribed a benzo for over 9 years. It's certainly worth a shot, though.

If you aren't prescribed the valium, I think the whole thing is a bad idea. You really need to be under the supervision of a doctor. You said your anxiety was moderate? If so, you probably shouldnt be taking a benzo. If anxiety makes your life unmanageable, that's when it should be used, IMHO.

Again, go to a doctor! I hate going to dr.'s as well, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks for your non-judgmental advice. I guess I always knew that the advice I would get would be " go see your doc you dozy twat" . Perhaps I just needed to hear it anyway. What would the process be? would I have to get a referral to a quack. can I just go in there and describe my symptoms and request to try a script of Hydroxizine ( from memory). my reticence to seek medical help is caused by a fear that I'll be subjected to an interrogation as if I were some sort of criminal or charlatan . The levels of anxiety that i experience range from sudden uncontrollable and unexplainable feelings of dread and panic which can last for hours and at it's worst shortness of breath symptomatic of a panic attack . often I am overcome with prolonged and terrible paranoia about something extremely trivial that has occurred during the day . Where once I thrived in large groups, I now avoid them where possible.and quickly make excuses to leave when such situations occur . since my, albeit naive self script . i have a social life again which means the world to me.

And yes anyone with an above average bullshit detector can source such Benzo's from the net fairly easily as someone mentioned.

thanks and sorry if the thread is banal and been covered countless times before

You clearly have a true "medical need" for an anti anxiety like diazepam.
Personally I think its stupid of you to try to source it yourself instead of getting it scripted legally from your doc. I know you made a vague reference to having too much anxiety to discuss this matter with your doc, but speaking honestly here...get over it. Shit, take one of the diazepam that you sourced yourself and then go talk to your doc about getting you a script. However...DO NOT TELL YOUR DOC YOU HAVE BEEN SELF MEDICATING WITH DIAZEPAM. If you make mention of this, he will never write you a script for anything again. Its unfair, but true.

But seriously man, I understand it can be hard to talk to your doc about stuff like this, especially when you have anxiety, but you really need to get past it and have the talk. You need to have a legit, legal, script for diazepam. You never know when your "source" will dry up or get shut down, and you DO NOT want to end up with no pills once you are physically dependant on benzos.

So just have the uncomfortable talk with your doc. Tell him how crippling your anxiety is and tell him you would like to try something to control it (but again, do not mention u have already tried benzos on your own). Dont be surprised if he wants to try a few things before he prescribes benzos (they often like to try an anti-depressant or 2). Just play ball and be a good little patient. Try whatever he gives u and be honest. If they dont work, tell him and eventually he will write u a script for benzos. good luck-DG

However...DO NOT TELL YOUR DOC YOU HAVE BEEN SELF MEDICATING WITH DIAZEPAM. If you make mention of this, he will never write you a script for anything again. Its unfair, but true.

So just have the uncomfortable talk with your doc. Tell him how crippling your anxiety is and tell him you would like to try something to control it (but again, do not mention u have already tried benzos on your own). Dont be surprised if he wants to try a few things before he prescribes benzos (they often like to try an anti-depressant or 2). Just play ball and be a good little patient. Try whatever he gives u and be honest. If they dont work, tell him and eventually he will write u a script for benzos. good luck-DG

^I completely agree
The only short-cut that you can take is to tell the doc that you began taking the started pack of zoloft a month ago and it did little to nothing for your anxiety. Docs usually put people on the zoloft starter pack and if that doesnt alleviate the symptoms in 2-3 weeks they will ad a benzo usually. You just hav to be familiar with the dosages and colors of the pills in the starter pack. Anyways
I would stick to diazepam if I were you. However, try to decrease the dose. Even though tolerance builds quickly, alot of people including myself have found that using a lower dose can be just as effective for anxiety after allowing it time to work.
Just try as hard as possible to take it as least often as possible and as little as you can. Benzo withdrawals are horrible and dangerous. If you become dependent, it sucks having to remember to take your pills with you everywhere just in-case you wont be home for a while or whatever.
I am currently tapering off of xanax using diazepam so I have alot of experience with benzos. I def needed them for anxiety for a couple of months, but not 5 years like it has been for me.
You should explore other options, and try to either be off of the diazepam after a couple of months, or just take it in the event of extreme anxiety.

Only with a prescription it is a possible longer-term solution for anxiety problems. The evidence suggests that Benzodiazepines are no longer effective after a few weeks or months of regular use, however this is different for everybody depending on a lot of factors: personally I am still benefiting from both Diazepam and Temazepam after some years, but it comes at the price of tolerance, addiction, and the eventual withdrawals which are some of the worst I can think of.

Long-term tapering schedules would be necessary in my case, weeks or even months reducing your dose a tiny bit and always the danger of relapsing. You can find all the relevant info at http://www.benzo.org.uk/ which is a great resource for anyone who uses Benzodiazepines.

I can easily take up to 100 mg of Diazepam but it only takes 10 mg to begin with and slowly over the years you get such a crazy tolerance like me, and I need at least 30 mg a day to keep me both anxiety-free and not having withdrawals. Seriously if you have no prescription and no shortage of supply things can get out of hand fairly quickly, also because I consider Diazepam to be one of the best in terms of euphoria (Midazolam IV is another level though, pure bliss :D). Just be careful since there are other ways, I just took the wrong one in terms of addiction / dependance. :)

-- Peace o/

Re: the above points--

(1) I agree, OP sounds like s/he has a true medical need and should be able to get it from a physician,
(2) and sounds like OP isn't using it in an irresponsible dangerous manner ...
(3) yet! Agreed, that the "wonder drug" experience is what makes it abusable and potentially addictive for you. (That's how it is for me.)

I think it's worth trying physicians, since a legit medical supply mitigates many of the harms of "self-prescription" and helps manage them if they arise, presenting various alternatives, and it sounds like you would have a good shot at it.

(4) on the ratting oneself out for "self-prescription." I actually have found that to work pretty well. When I started on klonipin (10+ years ago) I always said something like, "My friend gave me this pill for anxiety and it worked really well." Then we'd look in the PDR until I saw a 1mg clonazepam (highest likely dose for a starter) and say, "Yeah, one of those!" Babe-in-woods-routine, basically. But that hasn't really worked out so well in the long run for me, personally. (Addicted to benzos.)

benzos get out of control easily. I am scripted Valium and it feels like handcuffs.

I really really urge you to try bio-feedback therapy. I had severe Anxiety for several years with no pharmacuticals helping, and I would say that the bio-feedback was responsible for 70-80% of my recovery. You don't have to have "talk therapy" sessions, you don't have to tell someone your life story, you just sit there and do a controlled meditation and find out what thoughts, images, or feelings work to lower your anxiety and panic response.

klonopin is definetly the more en vogue long acting benzo and hence what a dr will script you...unless you live in the UK. in that case its gonna be valium you geezer, you.

oh yeah, I wasn't referring to you, moreso to the OP.
I was in grad school (20-22hr days) and needed something to work right away, but in the long term, nothing even compares.
EVERYONE I know who has done bio-feedback has benefited from it, most of the time more than pharmies.
After years of being on benzos I wanted out. What if my script got cut off? What if there was a natural disaster (I lived in New Orleans for 5 years, so that's not so far-fetched), What if?
I'd rather have them as a back-up because bio-feedback isn't a back-up, it's a first-line treatment and it works very, very well.
Hope the OP takes something from all the advice everyone has given and sees a Dr.
best.