PDA

View Full Version : Scientists Find Extraterrestrial Genes In Human DNA

That-Strange-Guy
13-02-2010, 01:03
http://www.rense.com/general74/d3af.htm

What do you guys think of this?

edit: qwe thinks you should quote the article, that's what he thinks :)

Scientists Find Extraterrestrial
Genes In Human DNA
Do civilizations of advanced human beings exist scattered in the Galaxy?
by John Stokes
1-11-7

A group of researchers working at the Human Genome Project indicate that they made an astonishing scientific discovery: They believe so-called 97% non-coding sequences in human DNA is no less than genetic code of extraterrestrial life forms.

The non-coding sequences are common to all living organisms on Earth, from moulds to fish to humans. In human DNA, they constitute larger part of the total genome, says Prof. Sam Chang, the group leader. Non-coding sequences, originally known as "junk DNA", were discovered years ago, and their function remained a mystery. The overwhelming majority of Human DNA is "Off-world" in origin. The apparent "extraterrestrial junk genes" merely "enjoy the ride" with hard working active genes, passed from generation to generation.

After comprehensive analysis with the assistance of other scientists, computer programmers, mathematicians, and other learned scholars, Professor Chang had wondered if the apparently "junk Human DNA" was created by some kind of "extraterrestrial programmer". The alien chunks within Human DNA, Professor Chang further observes, "have its own veins, arteries, and its own immune system that vigorously resists all our anti-cancer drugs."

Professor Chang further stipulates that "Our hypothesis is that a higher extraterrestrial life form was engaged in creating new life and planting it on various planets. Earth is just one of them. Perhaps, after programming, our creators grow us the same way we grow bacteria in Petri dishes. We can't know their motives - whether it was a scientific experiment, or a way of preparing new planets for colonization, or is it long time ongoing business of seedling life in the universe."

Professor Chang further indicates that "If we think about it in our human terms, the apparent "extraterrestrial programmers" were most probably working on "one big code" consisting of several projects, and the projects should have produced various life forms for various planets. They have been also trying various solutions. They wrote "the big code", executed it, did not like some function, changed them or added new one, executed again, made more improvements, tried again and again."

(more in link)

MyDoorsAreOpen
13-02-2010, 01:05
I think it's material for S&T, that's what I think.

Scire
13-02-2010, 07:40
Isn't there a bullshit board for this?

That-Strange-Guy
13-02-2010, 08:18
I wanted to know if anyone had more evidence or if these guys are serious or what?

Pegasus
13-02-2010, 15:18
The non-coding sequences are common to all living organisms on Earth, from moulds to fish to humans. In human DNA, they constitute larger part of the total genome, says Prof. Sam Chang, the group leader. Non-coding sequences, originally known as "junk DNA", were discovered years ago, and their function remained a mystery. The overwhelming majority of Human DNA is "Off-world" in origin. The apparent "extraterrestrial junk genes" merely "enjoy the ride" with hard working active genes, passed from generation to generation.

After comprehensive analysis with the assistance of other scientists, computer programmers, mathematicians, and other learned scholars, Professor Chang had wondered if the apparently "junk Human DNA" was created by some kind of "extraterrestrial programmer". The alien chunks within Human DNA, Professor Chang further observes, "have its own veins, arteries, and its own immune system that vigorously resists all our anti-cancer drugs."
Wow, this article jumps from science to bullshit pretty abruptly.

CoffeeDrinker
13-02-2010, 17:11
I don't get how they are making the leap that the introns are extraterrestrial in origin.
Also, I don't get how they are saying we were engineered by aliens. If we were then wouldn't our CODING DNA be extra terrestrial, not our NON-CODING DNA?

Detrevni
13-02-2010, 18:49
We are the aliens! 8o

yougene
13-02-2010, 21:41
1)No citations.
2)No "Professor Chang" found on any .edu page (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=KKP&as_q=professor+chang+genome+project&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=.edu&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images).
3)The article doesn't make sense.

aanallein
13-02-2010, 22:37
does this have to do with Nibiru?

Cyc
14-02-2010, 02:12
Just.. no

qwe
14-02-2010, 03:11
this makes it seem like he took the noncoding DNA, and had it code for chemicals on its own (even though it is noncoding for all we know), and it ended up making a living being with its own veins etc? no...

or he means those segments of DNA have their own networks of nutrition and protection? more reasonable i guess, still very skeptical

there are much better hypotheses about the junk DNA, though it's true we cannot account for all of it

Scire
14-02-2010, 04:09
I suspect this is what this story was before it was diluted with bizzaro:

Nature article
Endogenous non-retroviral RNA virus elements in mammalian genomes (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v463/n7277/full/nature08695.html)

Easily digestible popular science:
8 Percent of Human Genome Was Inserted By Virus, and May Cause Schizophrenia: (http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-01/8-percent-human-dna-comes-virus-causes-schizophrenia)The rise of psychopharmacology has led doctors to not only treat mental illnesses like regular diseases, but think of them as such as well. Turns out, schizophrenia may be more than just a disease in concept, but actually a virus itself. According to new research, as much as eight percent of the human genome consists of viruses that inserted themselves into our DNA for replication, including the gene that causes schizophrenia.

Writing in this week's issue of the journal Nature, CÚdric Feschotte, a professor of biology at the University of Texas, Arlington, explains how traces of animal virus DNA *found by Keizo Tomonaga, a professor at Osaka University, Japan, may form the genes for schizophrenia and other mood disorders.

By spreading his search to a class of viruses ignored by other researchers due to its inability to infect primates, Tomonaga found far more viral DNA in our genome than previous studies. The virus type, called bornaviruses, typically infects hoofed mammals and birds, but clearly it used to infect primates sometime in the past. Although most of the viral DNA is junk, Feschotte found that the mutations that cause those psychological diseases strongly resemble bornaviruses.

Science has long known that some components of our DNA are relics of viruses that entered into our genome in some past infection. However, no one ever thought that virus remnants formed this much of our genome, or that one of the viruses might lead to disease, let alone something as complex as mental illness.

The findings are controversial, and the link between bornavirus DNA infection and schizophrenia remains poorly understood. However, the ability of viruses to alter our DNA throws an interesting new wrinkle into our understanding of how potentially dangerous mutations managed to escape natural selection.

*Previous versions of this story didn't mention the contribution of Professor Tomonaga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bornavirus

Cyc
14-02-2010, 05:38
We've actually already discussed this here (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=486806)

willow11
14-02-2010, 06:55
Without extraterrestrial DNA to compare with, how the fuck do they know that "junk DNA" is actually alien in origin?

How does it have its own immune system, and veins and...? What and....Fuck. Weird.

That said, we all do have mitochondria living inside us. However, that bears no real relation to the topic at hand :)

qwe
14-02-2010, 14:40
That said, we all do have mitochondria living inside us. However, that bears no real relation to the topic at hand :)
it might. the impression i got was that he was saying the DNA system is so complex, it's basically alive. just like when you look at a creature, nutrients flow from the arteries; look at the earth, rivers are like arteries, life thrives around the rivers; etc... there are millions of instances like that, making up a dynamic living universe, and i suspect they simply meant that DNA has its own systems of repair etc and is just as dynamic/fascinating as a creature on "this scale"

rant*N*rave
16-02-2010, 00:04
^Yeah, but you could take a creature off of earth and feed it and it would still live. You can't take "a DNA" out of a creature and have it still live; you can't "feed" DNA. A piece of DNA is not a functioning system; a piece of DNA is not a machine, it's a blueprint for a machine... I think that's why the article is pretty confusing. I mean, even a virus has more "life" than a piece of DNA.

qwe
17-02-2010, 13:48
>>You can't take "a DNA" out of a creature and have it still live; you can't "feed" DNA. A piece of DNA is not a functioning system; a piece of DNA is not a machine, it's a blueprint for a machine>>

think about how DNA came to be, and how it was able to come to be. RNA/DNA are blueprints for machines, but also a machine at the same time...

of course you can take DNA out of a creature and have it still "live"; give it the right chemicals, aka the protein that opens it up, the protein that transcribes, etc, and it'll do its thing, with or without a cell wall around it and a bunch of organelles

and it does in a sense "feed" and replicate, though of course it needs the help of its environment to do so, well so do we and other creatures in a similar manner

Pegasus
17-02-2010, 16:27
think about how DNA came to be, and how it was able to come to be.

I would like to know this...

rant*N*rave
19-02-2010, 01:15
^Current theory is easy to come by. Look up "origin of life" (and don't forget to put "-christian -intelligent design", etc. :D).

DNA is a cog, not a machine. It is not complex, it is not self-replicating, it is not functional on its own. It is not even functional in the sense that a virus is. If you injected me with a piece of your DNA, nothing (of import) would happen. "A DNA" is no more living than a water molecule or any other molecule. It is not even a complex assortment of molecules, just a molecule. Just because it happens to encode data that is readable means nothing - so does a floppy disk. If you put that in the right piece of equipment, it will do stuff too. DNA got "sucked in" the way mitochondria did if you ask me...

Cyc
19-02-2010, 01:24
Here's a fairly easy to digest article (http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfrontiers/jeffares_poole.html) that gets to the heart of the debate.

Sega420
19-02-2010, 02:55
perhaps the truth is on our doorstep

qwe
19-02-2010, 08:21
DNA is a cog, not a machine.it's both, just like us, just like our cells, just like their cellular components

It is not complexthe size of the molecule makes it very complex. the thing works with itself, just naturally its component atoms moving according to the laws of physics, repairing itself and who knows what all actions it performed in the RNA world when RNA was just starting out (before it delegated those actions to more specialized proteins)

it is not self-replicatingit needs certain proteins to replicate, true. but it could be more useful to think of it as a "DNA--protein system" rather than simply "DNA". a "DNA-protein system" + "cell wall" basically = "life"

i'd bet that the information-storage-format evolved its structure in an evolution joined at the hip to the evolution of protein-translation-molecular-machines... and if you look at them together as a system, that's pretty much biological life as we know it. DNA stores the information and does some of the work because of its complexity/structure, protein does the rest of the work

it is not functional on its ownit performs certain functions on its own. for others, it needs help. cells perform certain functions on their own. for others, they need help. humans perform certain functions on their own, for others they need help

forgive me if i remember certain things incorrectly from bio classes / resources

rant*N*rave
19-02-2010, 19:28
DNA does nothing on its own. That's why I object to it being called "alive."

And DNA doesn't necessarily carry useful information. If I give you a string of ATCG randomly thrown together, it's worthless. Especially if it's a really short string.

I'm not objecting to the concept that the DNA *system* is awesomely powerful, but DNA itself is no more special than any molecule. There are thousands of proteins that are more "alive" than DNA ever will be.

qwe
20-02-2010, 16:09
that's the thing though. it DOES do other things besides just store information*, otherwise RNA world hypothesis wouldn't exist. and of course it doesnt necessarily code useful information, any template for information storage can either be random, ordered, or filled with actual information

The RNA world hypothesis proposes that a world filled with life based on ribonucleic acid (RNA) predates the current world of life based on deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and protein. RNA, which can both store information like DNA and act as an enzyme like proteins, may have supported cellular or pre-cellular life. Some hypotheses as to the origin of life present RNA-based catalysis and information storage as the first step in the evolution of cellular life.

Arnold
20-02-2010, 19:13
They did introduce mouse eye genes into a fruit fly which made that the fruitfly would grow loads of red fruitfly eyes on their bodies.

That's me 2p for today =D

Winding Vines
21-02-2010, 03:05
I did some further research into that article a while ago.

A Chairperson of a sort was asked about this Dr. Sam Chang, the chairperson/admin was unable to comment on WHO this person was but did leave the idea that there are so many individuals working on the Human GP that he was not able to completely discredit the allegations of this researcher. However, no other scientists interviewed discredited (substantially) or validated (with certainty).

I am left with leaving this idea on the shelf with the Tasmania tiger.

But if you want to divulge deep into cross concepts throughout cultures, some believe stamps from the Babylonians display clearly Innana and her consort created man from varying materials -- some see this as being alluded to the divine conception of humankind in genesis (which many have found the biblical god is really a deviation from Babylonian myth and legend) . There is a lot more to this but would be more appropriate in philosophy.

xeusdeus
01-03-2010, 19:48
were all aliens niga. Or we are all nigas, alien?

chainsawr
01-03-2010, 21:30
i thought x-files only come on at 2am, wtf is this?!

L2R
02-03-2010, 04:33
you can tell space genes cuz they got little space suits that which can withstand the peer pressures of spaceness

Ason Unique
02-03-2010, 05:34
This story is incredible, look at the disclaimer underneath, its bs.

qwe
02-03-2010, 18:14
^Yeah, but you could take a creature off of earth and feed it and it would still live. You can't take "a DNA" out of a creature and have it still live; you can't "feed" DNA.
i want to hit this quote again

this analogy falls flat on its head. DNA needs parts of its environment to work and continue to exist. humans need part of their environment to work and continue exist

no, you can't just take a human off earth and feed it and itll live---you have to bring earth with him! you have to bring a giant bubble of air, heat, nutrients, etc. likewise, you can't just take a RNA molecule out of a pond and expect it to work---you have to bring the pond with him. you have to bring a water medium (like we need that air medium), have it at the right temperature (like us), give it its nutrients/substrates (like us), etc (amino acids)

in both cases, we are connected to our environment, again getting at what i was getting at earlier, the fractal nature of life

in any case, in order to convince me my noncoding genes are from space, i'd need to see some of those genes on a rock from space

the disclaimer is awesome though. it shows that the news site is "real". they (apparently) don't want to manipulate their stories to the end of either profit or manipulating the masses. they seem to want independent thought, and to give the facts as is. that's how information-distribution should be

tambourine-man
03-03-2010, 10:26
30 posts and nobody picked up on this:

http://www.rense.com/
LOL... has anybody ever visited rense before?

http://www.rense.com/1.mpicons/sixthsense.gif

There was a time when he used to advertise "mind pills" that gave you special abilities. :D

L2R
03-03-2010, 14:20
aliens have been infestivading da erf for time immemorial on their global vegetasian molestation agenda. they aren't even ashamed of it, and have always proudly spouted "we come in peas".

Liquid Sunshine
07-03-2010, 14:33
I call bullshit. No cites, and frankly this is barely coherent if you consider that there isn't evidence, just persuasive sounding phrases consistently thrown at the reader. It's cute though.

Black
08-03-2010, 16:21
that's the thing though. it DOES do other things besides just store information*, otherwise RNA world hypothesis wouldn't exist.

sure, but rna is something different than dna. dna doesn't really do anything besides storing information (and giving plants greater cold resistance by binding water??). with rna you can store information (in a less stable way) and do a lot of other things. rna does lots of transcription regulation, is the key to translate genetic code to proteins, it has functions in protein synthesis and can catalise reactions (ribozymes).
they even found a short sequence of rna that can replicate itself without help of any dna, protein or lipid.

qwe
08-03-2010, 23:10
^ hence the idea that cells evolved DNA later after they had already been using RNA or something similar since the first protocell