View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Dosage Second Opinion

DropDeadDevin

Bluelighter
Yeah, it's another one of those threads. I used a dosage calculator, and it recommends just about 8 oz for a good 2nd Plateau trip. I have one bottle of Adult Robitussin DM Max (Which is 8 fl oz), and I'm just making sure that taking the whole bottle would be safe. I have tried DXM once in the past, but didn't have an intense experience at all.

Again, sorry for making one of these threads, but at least I did my research. I'm just being careful and making sure this will be a good/safe amount to take. (I have experience with LSD and Shrooms, if that makes a difference.)

Thanks.

I scarred my brain being young and stupid doing dxm. Gave myself tempral lobe epilepsy and had a few seizures. SO in the hopes of harm reduction don't do dxm, save your brain for better substances like lsd, shrooms, dmt. BUT yes 8 oz should be good, just don't be surprised when it feels like your walking on a trampoline and throwing up

Read the label on the bottle. Multiply the dose per mL by the number of mL in the bottle. If it is the product I am thinking of, then there are 354mg of DXM, which is a fine dose (although personally I think it is a pretty boring drug, at least at that dose).

Drinking an 8 oz bottle will probably give you at least a 3rd plateau trip. I've never had any trouble reaching the second plateau with just 300mgs of DXM and that can be gotten from a little less than 4oz of most syrups.

Last edited:
300-350mg is a fairly decent starting point with DXM. I've only dosed three times and found that the negatives outweighed the positives. So I'm done forever with this substance.

However, the bottle should state clearly how many mg of Dextromethorphan there is per mL and it should be a fairly simple to figure out from there. I'm not too familiar with the imperial system of measurement so I can't help there.

I'm pretty sure 8 oz of DM Max has just under 500mg in it. That would be a pretty solid high 2nd plateau dose for someone with little or no tolerance.

its 4 hundred something mgs of dextromethorphan HBr.

plus a lot of coloring, sugar, guaifenesin and nasty gunk.

a freebase form of dextromethorphan is much better route to go. no nausea, a much more pure feeling rather than feeling like lead. good luck have fun, psytrance/electronic music/postrock/idm stuff is excellent for this compound. and a reclining chair. listen to some music.

First off, it really makes things a lot easier to discuss if you give your dosages in milligrams instead of ounces of liquid. A mg is a mg, but syrups come in many different concentrations.

According to my calculations, 8 oz of Robitussin DM Max contains approximately 470 mg of dextromethorphan, and about 11.8 grams (i.e. 11,800 mg) of guaifenesin.

While I think 470 mg of DXM is a good amount to experience a moderate to strong trip, all the other junk present in that 8 oz of cough syrup will make you feel very ill. DXM itself can cause stomach upset, ranging anywhere from queasiness to full on puking, depending on the person's indevidual response to the drug. Then, the amount of guaifenesin alone in that syrup would most likely cause nausea and vomiting. And finally, cough syrups almost always contain ingredients, such as the sorbitol in this syrup, that act as a laxative when taken in large amounts. The sorbitol present in 4 oz of Robitussin is enough to give me some diarrhea during the trip, I imagine 8 oz would have quite an effect.

The Robitussin product I would recommend is Robitussin Cough Long Acting. This is the same as what used to be called Robitussin Max Strength, it's just a new name. It contains ~350 mg dextromethorphan HBr as the only active ingredient in a 4 oz bottle. Whatever product you get, check the label to confirm Dextromethorphan as the only active ingredient.

be safe and have fun.

Robitussin DM sounds awful if there is only 470mgs in 8 oz. That is a lot of syrup to drink. The only stuff I drink is Vicks 44 Dry Cough. It has ~350mgs in 6 oz and tastes pretty good too.

Last edited:
Yeah I just did delsyum(sp) it was a strong syrup with nothing but dxm, but like I said dxm can really mess your brain up and it just isn't that good a syrup I stopped taking it back in 8 grade. Drink tussinex if you want syrup, and take lsd if you want to trip