Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: The Book Of Eli

Rate this movie!

• Total voters

Ds

Bluelight Crew
Movie Description: In the not-too-distant future, some 30 years after the final war, a solitary man walks across the wasteland that was once America. Empty cities, broken highways, seared earth--all around him, the marks of catastrophic destruction. There is no civilization here, no law. The roads belong to gangs that would murder a man for his shoes, an ounce of water... or for nothing at all.

But they're no match for this traveler.

A warrior not by choice but necessity, Eli seeks only peace but, if challenged, will cut his attackers down before they realize their fatal mistake. It's not his life he guards so fiercely but his hope for the future; a hope he has carried and protected for 30 years and is determined to realize. Driven by this commitment and guided by his belief in something greater than himself, Eli does what he must to survive--and continue.

Only one other man in this ruined world understands the power Eli holds, and is determined to make it his own: Carnegie, the self-appointed despot of a makeshift town of thieves and gunmen. Meanwhile, Carnegie's adopted daughter Solara is fascinated by Eli for another reason: the glimpse he offers of what may exist beyond her stepfather's domain.

But neither will find it easy to deter him. Nothing--and no one--can stand in his way. Eli must keep moving to fulfill his destiny and bring help to a ravaged humanity.
book-of-eli-AFM-poster-full.jpg

This is a FUCKING AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!
One of Denzel Washington's coolest movies. If you like post-apocalyptic movies than this is where it's at.
WATCH IT!!!! :D

i disagree D's. i wouldnt say fucking awesome. FWIW, yeah, when it was good...it was really good. but the in betweens made it drag so much. i mean, with good reason, he's a wanderer. so alot of the movie he's walking long distances through artsy backdrops filled with clouds and destruction. yeah, visually appealling but didnt help speed things up.

if the movie was about a twenty to thirty minutes shorty, then id give it two thumbs up. but for now, i give it the nod.

I've heard mixed feelings on this movie. I'm still going to see it though

Yeah I know what you mean, Its a cross between the films water world, and resident evil: extinction.
I was really hoping for some more killing, and ass whooping scenes. Still, Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors. He played a good role in this movie.
IMO this movie is about a 4/5, like you said brian, the movie was just a lot of walking with backdrops.

I haven't seen it - probably won't until it's released on DVD. But it just smacks to me soooo much of a Fallout (video game) turned movie :\ That, and-or, this film gets made into a video game just like the Fallout series.

I love Fallout. I might like this film. But I'm having trouble with a) Denzel being the lead (I can't explain why); and b ) this beign too close to a game I've loved for years.

im also a huge fan of denzel washington (sorry TLB). one thing that stays consistent throughout all of his movies is that badass swagger he has when he walks slowly. total pimp walk with a switch. :)

ill have to admit though, D's, the ending did blow my mind.

Nice movie I liked it! Not really worth to see it at the movie theater tough, better wait for the DVD

I drank 3/4 of a bottle of cough syrup and went to go see this movie today. I was amazed. This is the best movie I've seen in a theatre in a long time. I loved it, Denzel Washington was great in it. I give it 5 stars. If I wasn't semi high when I saw this it might not have been as good but it blew my mind right out the back of my head. I only have one complaint...

NSFW:
That shit about being blind was stupid as hell, how can a blind dude shoot 9 people to death in a gun fight? WTF?

^^^^ Spoiler alert ^^^^

Loved it. Denzel exceeded his usual range of character (he plays the same role in every film to me) and was well-cast as the 'lone wanderer'. I might have been unduly influenced in my appreciation of the film having just finished Fallout 3, but it was well-balanced - neither all out action, nor contemplative bore-fest.

It probably could have done with a few more fights, but the ending was more or less surprising enough.

MistaJeff: Think you misunderstood the ending - coz I thought exactly the same initially. :D
I think he may just be capable of reading braile... perhaps from once having a blind partner prior to the bomb - hence why he comments on the women's blindness? Or at least, thats how I interpreted it... probably because him being blind and endowed with some sort of Godly vision would be too lame to bear.

I still need to read the book of Eli. It's on my list. Wasn't it a New York Times Bestseller?

I felt it was a good film but no more than that. I will deffo check out the book though.

decent amount of action. plot was alright. ending had a twist suitable for the film. denzel was a bad ass. and the female co star was hot.

the only thing i feel held this movie back. was that the story could have used a little impoving. the whole baron wasteland end of the world no water or food, living on the road thing/holding up in a santuary thing has been done now about a bazillion times. other than that, it didnt completely suck, i gave it 3 stars.

Spoiler:
NSFW:
Unfortunately, Eli was indeed blind while firing guns and arrows.
It was one of the stupidest endings to a film that I have ever seen.

Isaiah said:
13 The LORD will march out like a mighty man,
like a warrior he will stir up his zeal;
with a shout he will raise the battle cry
and will triumph over his enemies.

14 "For a long time I have kept silent,
I have been quiet and held myself back.
But now, like a woman in childbirth,
I cry out, I gasp and pant.

15 I will lay waste the mountains and hills
and dry up all their vegetation;
I will turn rivers into islands
and dry up the pools.

16 I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do;
I will not forsake them.

Eli is also a character from the bible.

Samuel said:
14 Eli heard the outcry and asked, "What is the meaning of this uproar?"
The man hurried over to Eli,

15 who was ninety-eight years old and whose eyes were set so that he could not see.

This film, although entertaining and impressively produced, was way too Jesus orientated for me. It felt like the church (and I know this probably isn't the case) was making a film that would be accessible to young people and at the same time deliver a strong religious message. They purposely didn't reveal what the book was for quite some time so that you get sucked into the story and the character and the violence and you continue watching, despite the 'lame' (as tambourine-man said) sunday school parts.

No offense anyone, but I'm surprised these nutty religious types can get away with blatantly lecturing people about God while simply distracting them by bright colours. I had a real Michael Moore feel watching this.

Another thing, I'm sick of watching films where the hero is this perfect murdering machine. There's no tension in the action, it's just beautifully coreographed violence. The film would have more of an impact, I think, if they toned down the action scenes until they were at least relatively realstic - especially in this case as he is (see NSFW above). Then you might think that he actually has a chance of dying when facing certain death half way through the film, rather than just sitting there waiting for him to chop everybody to pieces. Over the top, cartoon-like graphic violence was fun for a while, but it's become a cliche.

1 star

Technically I would rate it a 3.5 stars.

SPOILER:

I agree that his `book` was kind of a turn off - BUT, the main bad guy did want the book because even he knew he could use it to control people. So there is that...

This reminds me I need to see a good copy of this movie to watch it again. I had DL'd a movie theater cam version that was shit. So, the movie is good enough to watch again, for me.

This film, although entertaining and impressively produced, was way too Jesus orientated for me. It felt like the church (and I know this probably isn't the case) was making a film that would be accessible to young people and at the same time deliver a strong religious message. They purposely didn't reveal what the book was for quite some time so that you get sucked into the story and the character and the violence and you continue watching, despite the 'lame' (as tambourine-man said) sunday school parts.

No offense anyone, but I'm surprised these nutty religious types can get away with blatantly lecturing people about God while simply distracting them by bright colours. I had a real Michael Moore feel watching this.

Another thing, I'm sick of watching films where the hero is this perfect murdering machine. There's no tension in the action, it's just beautifully coreographed violence. The film would have more of an impact, I think, if they toned down the action scenes until they were at least relatively realstic - especially in this case as he is (see NSFW above). Then you might think that he actually has a chance of dying when facing certain death half way through the film, rather than just sitting there waiting for him to chop everybody to pieces. Over the top, cartoon-like graphic violence was fun for a while, but it's become a cliche.

1 star
Hmmmm. If what your NSFW says is true... then the film gets a star reduction.

I get what you're saying, but I think I chose to self-censor the overtly religious theme and make up my own story. :D

Come to think of it, I do that for quite a few films. :D

We liked it. We are both atheist but enjoy the idea of the Bible without being "christian".

I thought the concept was good.

NSFW:
I didn't think eli was blind, but the brail was just a final fuck you to the guy who wanted it so badly

Overall not a great movie, not a great concept either, but not horrible

NSFW:
I saw the movie right when it came out and I was a little high so I'm not sure I remember it right. Weren't his eyes completely white. I think that means hes blind.

I'm amazed at how many people are denying the end fo this film.

NSFW:

It is a very Christian film.

Right at the end of the film, there was a close up shot of the bible being placed on a shelf beside other religious texts, including the Torah (=Hebrew old Testament), Koran, etc. So that means the only thing they didn't have at Alcatraz or wherever it was, was The New Testament.

This shot is a clever way of catering to those who wish to deny the Christian nature of the film and not feel as if they're being exlcuded (like those short scenes in US apocalypse films were they cut to a different country for a couple of seconds to reveal that there are warships hovering over other places outside North America) but if you think about it, this shot implies something else.

There is an enormous amount of significance placed on the book. It was attributed to the downfall of society and it is heavily implied throughout the film that the words are so powerful that they have the potential to save the world or destroy it again. It is the most precious book on the planet.

When Eli reads from it, he reads passages from the Old Testament.

A violent black man reading passages from the bible was popularized in 1995 with Pulp Fiction. And Denzel actually reads the same passage. Shadow of the Valley of Death.

They are very careful not to mention Jesus, but really that is what the entire film is about.

Eli is a missionary, spreading the word of Jesus.

He's just a cool, black, ultra-violent, bad-ass, ipod listening, trenchcoat wearing mother fucker - so it doesn't matter if he's a bible salesman, right?