• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Smoking Marijuana at High Altitudes

GoingUpGoingDown

Greenlighter
Does anyone have any experience with this? I have just moved to a city that is pretty high compared to the norm, about 8,000ft/3,000mtrs I believe. When I smoke (and even when I don't), I experience a shortness of breath. Last time I smoked it got so bad that it got kind of hard for me to breath, felt like I was having a panic attack or something. I have also been here for a week so my body should be adjusted to the altitude, but when I smoke, it is like my lungs are saying fuck you (I don't smoke cigarettes). Any advice? Thanks guys.

welcome to bluelight :D
About the shortness of breath it maybe cuz of the altitude+high combo that gets you f*cked up.
i dunno :(

nice username. what city would this be? (no details or streetnames duh)

ie are you in the Andes, or are you just in like the mountains around Denver, CO type thing :p

just how high is the altitude you're at.
sorry, im not good with altitude/lat/long.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have just moved to a city that is pretty high compared to the norm, about 8,000ft/3,000mtrs I believe. When I smoke (and even when I don't), I experience a shortness of breath. Last time I smoked it got so bad that it got kind of hard for me to breath, felt like I was having a panic attack or something. I have also been here for a week so my body should be adjusted to the altitude, but when I smoke, it is like my lungs are saying fuck you (I don't smoke cigarettes). Any advice? Thanks guys.

scientific evidence that you should be well adjusted to the altitude?

3000 metres is pretty high, the air pressure is definitely significantly lower. one week is not very long. if it only took a week to be completely adjusted i doubt athletes would bother with high altitude training.

nice username. what city would this be? (no details or streetnames duh)

ie are you in the Andes, or are you just in like the mountains around Denver, CO type thing :p

just how high is the altitude you're at.
sorry, im not good with altitude/lat/long.

The OP said about 8,000 ft. Denver is 5280.
However though being 5,280 ft about sea level I have never had any experiences while smoking and experiencing a shortness of breath. I think you just need to give your body time to adjust to the changes.

" im not good with altitude/lat/long" being the main bit

i dont know distance lest it be on the land

My bad, I wouldn't have expected most to know how high CO is above sea level. Just threw the number in there for reference.

You just have to get adjusted to the altitude. Just like when people go and climb large mountains, they have to adjust so they don't die as soon as they go too high.

Give it time.

The OP said about 8,000 ft. Denver is 5280.
However though being 5,280 ft about sea level I have never had any experiences while smoking and experiencing a shortness of breath. I think you just need to give your body time to adjust to the changes.

Altitude and its effects are relative, depending on how adjusted you are to those conditions. There's an insurmountable difference between moving to a place thats 8000 feet higher than where you used to live at a mature age, compared to living in a place thats 8000 feet above sea level for your whole life.

If you're born there, grow up there, live there forever, and are totally used to it, of course you aren't going to notice. You have nothing else to compare it to, you just get used to it. The longer you've lived somewhere with an extremely different altitude, the worse your ability to just "get used to it".

its a coincidence how you happened to be from Denver though...

but yes, im curious also, what kind of training would they do?

its a coincidence how you happened to be from Denver though...

but yes, im curious also, what kind of training would they do?

I know right lol, it's a cool city. Every time I have left it I always do end up missing it. Hmm, you know I started looking into that question after I posted it and what it looks like is they train in this Hyperbaric Chamber, and by train I mean work out.

I guess that is supposed to help you get used to the altitude.

I know right lol, it's a cool city. Every time I have left it I always do end up missing it. Hmm, you know I started looking into that question after I posted it and what it looks like is they train in this Hyperbaric Chamber, and by train I mean work out.

I guess that is supposed to help you get used to the altitude.
I feel I am qualified to answer this one pretty well.

1. Hyperbaric Chambers are only used in emergency situations. Such as having extreme altitude sickness at above 19,000 ft/ 5,000 mtrs.

2. People may go to Denver (yes, it is an great city) to run in a marathon or something. People go to the mountains to hike, ski, ect.. The reason it's training, is because it's harder to breathe at higher altitudes, which in turn strengthens your lung power.

Heres WHY:

The higher the altitude, the more pressure there is. The oxygen levels are actually the same, but the pressure causes the lungs to absorb less oxygen.

As for cannabis, I have not noticed any difference smoking at 14, 000 ft versus smoking at sea level.

However, drinking alcohol is very different. It takes A LOT more to get me drunk at sea level than it does at higher altitudes.

OP if you just moved, wait a couple weeks to acclimate. It's normal if you are feeling tired, headaches, things like that for a little while....that's just the altitude.

Wolf beat me to the punch. A couple weeks and any athlete should adjust.

and hey, when you smoke with your buddies from the other towns, you'll have better lung power!

Wait, what if you spend a good amount of time toking up at mega high altitudes. Then go down to some mainland and toke with some low altitude folk? would you put them under the table?

Wait, what if you spend a good amount of time toking up at mega high altitudes. Then go down to some mainland and toke with some low altitude folk? would you put them under the table?

Nope. At high altitude your lung power would increase, but the amount of THC you'd be getting wouldn't increase. (ie: you wouldn't be ripping bigger cones up high, you'd initially start by ripping smaller ones, and work your way up to about the same size as you used to do, but to do that at high altitude requires much more lung power)

So when you descended again, your lungs would be super powered yes. But your THC tolerance would be the same or less, depending on how much you actually smoked up there.

Assuming you didn't smoke a shit ton more up on the mountain or whatever, we can assume your tolerance will be about the same.

So if you put it together, you have the same tolerance, but better lungs. This means you would, if anything, probably just be more effective at putting yourself under the table.

My bad, I wouldn't have expected most to know how high CO is above sea level.

Well it is the mile high city. And I have never smoked out there, but I'm from the east coast, and every time I go to Denver, or CO in general I notice a shortness in breath in general. When I go into the mountains especially I can barely breathe at all walking from the truck to the store...