Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: GOMORRAH - A Must See!!!

/navarone/

Bluelighter
gomorrah.jpg

Gomorrah - Trailer HD

A movie from Domenico Procacci based on the famous book written by Roberto Saviano who has been living under armed custody after exposing to the public the shocking truth of modern day mafia in Naples (the Camorra)and in the rest of italy.

Roberto Saviano interview on BBC2

One of the best movies my country has ever made. Candidate for Best Foreign Movie 2008 and winner of 5 European Film Awards, Grand Prix Festival De Cannes.
The book is said to be much more detailed and interesting because of the actual evidence and names that Saviano was able to gather.

Its hard to find in DVD in the US and some other countries but you can download the movie in DiVX (Italian) and then download the .sub/.srt file to display subtitles(English 1CD sync) and display them with DirectVobSub.
(Just install DirectVobSub driver then put the movie and the .sub/.srt file in the same folder. Make sure both files have the same name eg: Movietitle.avi Movietile.sub. Better to download the 1CD/1file Divx movie for the english subs i linked above, if not syncronized try another sub file)

Has anyone else seen it?

A friend of mine hated it, so I didn't bother. You're saying it's worth a go?

Well...if you expect something like transformers then dont watch it. this is more like a documentary almost. A very unusual but very realistic way of dispaying the nature of this situation through 4 different characters and 4 different stories.
Scorzese said: "strips every last bit of romanticism from the godfather saga". very true.

Well just download it from eMule or whatever u use, add the subs as written above, and see it for yourself.
I definetly think its woth a look...

Last edited:
There have been reports that some of the actors in this movie where arrested because found guilty of hacing associatins with the Camorra.
It seems that some of the cast had the role to report what was was being shown in the movie to the local crime associations.
In fact the movie is much more 'restricted' than the book itself. The producers where afraid of falling into the mafia's black list just like Roberto Saviano.

like navarone said, it's done in a 'slice of life' style so there is next to no character development or narrative arc. it's just a day in the life kind of thing - gritty with no punches pulled, stark realism without regard for audience expectations. the characters in the 4 stories are more like archetypes, so you can see how various personalities/identities fit into the big picture.

i enjoyed it. it was cool to see a realistic glimpse at the underbelly of italy.

Yeah it was. Also enjoyed "Nuevomondo" (Golden Door), "Romanzo Criminale" and "La Spettacolare Vita di Guileo Andreotti (Il Divo)" The Italians are putting out some good stuff in the last few years...
Maybe the new Fellini or Antonioni will be discovered soon

i love the way it was shot, but the story jumps about too much. i had difficulty following it. but i enjoyed it enough to want to sit through it again to clear my understanding.

It may have been a more "realalistic" movie about the mafia, but as far as gangster films go it wasnt very good.