• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Involuntary jerking

Mora Fiend

Bluelight Crew
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, if not I apologize. I notice that when I do opiates in the evening and I lay in bed my body sometimes jerks. Sometimes it's my leg, sometimes my chest, but it's starting to worry me. It's my understanding that dopamine is what controls muscle contractions, at least that's what I was told. Is it possible that the opiates are effecting the dopamine in my brain and causing involuntary jerks in my body? Can anyone elaborate on this, is it something to worry about? When I don't do opiates my body doesn't jerk, any input?

That's kind of ironic. That has also been happening to me lately and it never use too. I think you'll be fine as I'm pretty sure that Opiates have no affiliation with dopamine in the body.

Do you have insomnia as well? It could probably be a sleep disorder such as restless leg syndrome, etc..

Moreover, how bad is it? Is it a constant twitch or just here and there every couple of days?

I get exactly the same thing and I don't know why. Usually it's only once or twice but it is a bit worrying. Taking a break seems to get rid of it though.

could u guys elaborate a little more about this? is it like twitching? because i twitch a little bit when i'm on opiates because of the way it makes me feel good.

is what you're talking about a really violent movement or something?

are you nodding off and then snapping out of it abruptly

This was my first guess.

Also, if it is happening awhile after you dose, it could just be one of your first wd symptoms. Something like, the muscle relaxation wearing off.

I dont think its anything to worry about. I think it is just twitching caused by the extra energy in your body. Pretty much every drug does this to me, especially weed.

This has happened to me before too, typically after I've been using heavily for days in a row. It seems to be caused by being "jerked awake" as you are nodding off (in a very abrasive and startling way!).

I cut way back on my usage and haven't experienced it in months, so if it's really bothering you, maybe that's your answer...

yeah this NEVER happened to me before i took opiates (and i've been on everything). now i get it if i smoke weed. i don't understand it at all.

this happened to me a couple nights ago and i wanted to post a thing on here.

but it was more of like I could sense them coming....like one time i had my eyes closed and i saw a yellow flash and my body jumped but i could sense it coming right before i saw the flash. than another time my eyes were shut yet i saw like a blanket or something being slapped against my back and i jumped right then.

idk, that's probably the worst description of it but the best i can do

Sounds rather like hypnagogic jerks to me. Very common and can be caused by any number of reasons - including many drugs. Personally, I really would doubt opiate use having caused any damage - other than possibly the effects it can have on your sleeping patterns. Plenty of threads on hypnagogia around if you search - really is a very common thing.

Alternatively, could just be nodding as you'd expect when you take opiates. Either way, it's nothing to worry too much about, I would think.

i know exactly what you're referring to shambles but what i have is different. sounds a lot like what the OP has, but not me. i get jerks when i'm not trying to sleep. i lay in bed just fine.

^ are you on any kind of psych meds? I used to get jerks when I was on Prozac and Seroquel and Lithium (all at separate times).

thats weird, ive only ever started jerking and spazzing out when i start to kick.

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, if not I apologize. I notice that when I do opiates in the evening and I lay in bed my body sometimes jerks. Sometimes it's my leg, sometimes my chest, but it's starting to worry me. It's my understanding that dopamine is what controls muscle contractions, at least that's what I was told. Is it possible that the opiates are effecting the dopamine in my brain and causing involuntary jerks in my body? Can anyone elaborate on this, is it something to worry about? When I don't do opiates my body doesn't jerk, any input?

this is how my girl used to know if i dosed that day....

when i would sleep i would jerk constantly in my sleep, sometimes i would sleep thru it but more often than not it would wake me...i never put too much worry into it, but then again when you dose 3-4 times daily i dont think you put too much worry into anything, i chalked it up to my body doing its thing to keep it from giving up....if that makes any sense, as in its a mechanism your body uses to make sure EVERYTHING doesnt go to sleep....

just my view and experience.

happens to me somtimes rite as im falling asleep, i didint even notice it was actualy my x that said somthing eventualy started laughing at me for it lol... bitch shuda bin like shut da fuq up.

and when i say jerk...i dont narrow it to one body part. sometimes it would be my legs, sometimes my arms, sometimes my entire body would "jerk" and wake me

im not into giving in depth scientific answers so im keeping to my body mechanism theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

that makes a ton of sense....

"When a subject is deprived of sleep and is trying to fight sleep, hypnic jerks can sometimes occur more frequently. This normally happens to subjects who have deprived themselves of sleep for longer than 24 hours, or to those who have recently awakened after insufficient sleep"

nbd js....but if opiates throw you into a nod and more or less trick your brain into believing it is going to sleep than this kind of reaction would be absolutely normal for an opiate addict nodding out and "jerking" out of a nod....you are more or less fighting sleep, or atleast i never wanted to be nodding uncontrolably.

I get this all the time on opiates.

Often, my legs/arms will "jolt" violently - as if somebody is putting an electric charge through the limb in question.

I've found it happens most when I'm lying down. When I'm using, it will happen at *least* once a day. When I'm sticking to my Subutx script and not touching using on top it never happens.

opiates can cause myclonic jerking like that, at times.

but reading the thread title i just got reminded of my years of oc abuse where id wake up when the drugs wore off and would find myself strokin the ol morning wood.