• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tussionex and citric acid

cheddar

Greenlighter
This is my first ever post on bluelight, so bear with me if I sound stupid.

So a few days ago SWIM ended up getting the flu with a horrible hacking cough. The doctors gave him Tussionex for the cough. SWIM took it the first night and did notice the timed release they speak of in the literature.
He decided through some previous experiments in converting or potentiating drugs, to mix some citric acid in with about 10ml tussionex and 5ml h2o. 100% pure citric acid was used as well. No lemons or anything.
It seemed to either break down whatever causes the time release, or converted the hydrocodone polistirex into hydrocodone citrate.
SWIM got so off his ass on this mixture that he got dizzy, plopped down on the bed for about half an hour and then just passed out.

SWIM knows it worked, but can anyone explain exactly how?

don't use swim on this forum. everyone even cops and lawyers knows it means "I" and it makes you look like a dumbass. I currently have a script for tussionex for bronchitis and am very intrigued by this post. My question is this what if any is the LD50 of chlorpheniramine (the antihistamine in tussionex) and is there a point at which the chlorphen is no longer active but the hydro continues? Like what is the ceiling dose of the chlorphen?

Fine. I won't use SWIM. I still didn't get an answer to my question and was insulted at the same time. Never saw ANYTHING about not using SWIM in any of the READ THIS FIRST stuff.

I'm not thanking anyone for calling me a dumbass for something I was completely unaware of
shit, even said it was my first post and I might say something wrong.
Nothing wrong with being polite, even on the internet Decay.

Last edited:
Uh, no, SWIM isn't used on this board at all. It's not just him

You're new here, he's letting you know. Say thank you, edit your post, and move on

Welcome to Bluelight

lol i wasn't calling you a dumbass. i was saying it makes you sound like one. Wasn't meaning to be insulting, I apologize. I am new also, so please no hard feelings. Like i said i would like to know more about this citric acid method. Like who much should be used how long does it need to set etc etc.

I'm very experienced with tussionex. As far as I know and have read, there isn't a good method to extract hydrocodone from the preparation.

What you described sounds alot like tussionex's normal activity. For many people, the chlorpheniramine strongly potentiates the hydrocodone.

Chlorpheniramine is really dangerous stuff, you shouldn't take more than 24mg of it in a 24 hour period. That is 3tsp or 1 tbsp worth of tussionex. Otherwise it can cause heart problems and even death (thats the ingredient that was killing people trying to get high on the DXM in coricidin.)

I'm very experienced with tussionex. As far as I know and have read, there isn't a good method to extract hydrocodone from the preparation.

What you described sounds alot like tussionex's normal activity. For many people, the chlorpheniramine strongly potentiates the hydrocodone.

Chlorpheniramine is really dangerous stuff, you shouldn't take more than 24mg of it in a 24 hour period. That is 3tsp or 1 tbsp worth of tussionex. Otherwise it can cause heart problems and even death (thats the ingredient that was killing people trying to get high on the DXM in coricidin.)

I have been taking tussionex; 1.5 teaspoons twice a day for about a week.

The past two days ive taken two teaspoons at once but only once a day.

lol i wasn't calling you a dumbass. i was saying it makes you sound like one. Wasn't meaning to be insulting, I apologize. I am new also, so please no hard feelings. Like i said i would like to know more about this citric acid method. Like who much should be used how long does it need to set etc etc.

It's all good. I shouldnae jumped on ya like that. We're all just trying to learn.

This should address dokomo's post as well.

I did a bit of research and found that hydrocodone polistirex is actually hydro encapsulated in VERY VERY fine little beads that take a long time to release into your stomach.
I came to the realization that with enough citric acid, mixing, and allowing to settle, the acid should eat through at least SOME of the polistirex and eliminate the time release. in my case, i believe it ate straight through it because the stuff hit like a couple of ground up lortabs.

Can't say what'd happen with lemon juice, probably semi-breaking through of the beads, but with 100% citric acid powder, I'm fairly sure I was able to dissolve most of the crap and get out what I really wanted.

Also, it wasn't an extraction. The hydrocodone never ever left the syrup. I threw 10ml syrup in a shotglass, 5ml water in next, and then a healthy scoop of citric acid. I believe all it did was break down the polistirex. I still took the whole concoction.
The acid makes it taste bitter and fruity.

So! Mystery solved, at least until I can get more evidence. Seems a pretty sound theory to me.
Give it a try, Decay. See if it decreases the time of onset.

my concern would be that the chlorphen would also be hitting you all at once. I'm not trying to OD on an OTC medicine while tryin to get a buzz from hydro.

my concern would be that the chlorphen would also be hitting you all at once. I'm not trying to OD on an OTC medicine while tryin to get a buzz from hydro.

Well, according to drugbank.ca the LD50 is 306 mg/kg, so with 10ml I honestly don't think you're going to OD unless you're super sensitive to the shit, which I'd imagine you aren't since you've been taking it daily.

Fine. I won't use SWIM. I still didn't get an answer to my question and was insulted at the same time. Never saw ANYTHING about not using SWIM in any of the READ THIS FIRST stuff.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost.php?p=7013715&postcount=3

It's not the first link, but the OD Posting Standards link.

We had a sticky saying "No swim" but we took it down. We also have a non-stickied thread, but it keeps not staying on the 1st page.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost.php?p=7013715&postcount=3

It's not the first link, but the OD Posting Standards link.

We had a sticky saying "No swim" but we took it down. We also have a non-stickied thread, but it keeps not staying on the 1st page.

Didn't see it. Thanks for linking, but I think I got the message from everyone else.

It's all good. I shouldnae jumped on ya like that. We're all just trying to learn.

This should address dokomo's post as well.

I did a bit of research and found that hydrocodone polistirex is actually hydro encapsulated in VERY VERY fine little beads that take a long time to release into your stomach.
I came to the realization that with enough citric acid, mixing, and allowing to settle, the acid should eat through at least SOME of the polistirex and eliminate the time release. in my case, i believe it ate straight through it because the stuff hit like a couple of ground up lortabs.

Can't say what'd happen with lemon juice, probably semi-breaking through of the beads, but with 100% citric acid powder, I'm fairly sure I was able to dissolve most of the crap and get out what I really wanted.

Also, it wasn't an extraction. The hydrocodone never ever left the syrup. I threw 10ml syrup in a shotglass, 5ml water in next, and then a healthy scoop of citric acid. I believe all it did was break down the polistirex. I still took the whole concoction.
The acid makes it taste bitter and fruity.

So! Mystery solved, at least until I can get more evidence. Seems a pretty sound theory to me.
Give it a try, Decay. See if it decreases the time of onset.

When I said extraction, I meant from the polistirex complex, not like isolating hydrocodone from the chlorpheniramine.

I understand what you're saying, but theres alot more to it than "eating through" the polistirex. Pure, 100% citric acid has a pH around 2 (which is around stomach range) but the stomach goes as low as 1 and as high as 7. So, assuming that the polistirex operates as a function of stomach pH (which is totally speculative, I've not seen anything that explains just how it works) then even with all this citric acid it would only release like it normally would in the stomach, it shouldnt affect the rate.

When I said extraction, I meant from the polistirex complex, not like isolating hydrocodone from the chlorpheniramine.

I understand what you're saying, but theres alot more to it than "eating through" the polistirex. Pure, 100% citric acid has a pH around 2 (which is around stomach range) but the stomach goes as low as 1 and as high as 7. So, assuming that the polistirex operates as a function of stomach pH (which is totally speculative, I've not seen anything that explains just how it works) then even with all this citric acid it would only release like it normally would in the stomach, it shouldnt affect the rate.

If you allow the mixture to sit the acid will work its way through the polistirex without the active chemical being absorbed into the mucosa in your stomach. Sure, your stomach eats away at the stuff, but it absorbs it the whole time its doing it. If you eat through the most, if not all the way, before ingesting, your stomach won't have to eat through it and can absorb directly.

EDIT: Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. Kinda jumbled.
You're pre-dissolving the mixture so your stomach doesn't have to. If your stomach acid were doing the work, as soon as it worked through the coating of one bead it would absorb it. If you pre-dissolve it, the chemicals shouldn't be encased anymore.
Hope that was clearer.

Last edited:
If you allow the mixture to sit the acid will work its way through the polistirex without the active chemical being absorbed into the mucosa in your stomach. Sure, your stomach eats away at the stuff, but it absorbs it the whole time its doing it. If you eat through the most, if not all the way, before ingesting, your stomach won't have to eat through it and can absorb directly.

EDIT: Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. Kinda jumbled.
You're pre-dissolving the mixture so your stomach doesn't have to. If your stomach acid were doing the work, as soon as it worked through the coating of one bead it would absorb it. If you pre-dissolve it, the chemicals shouldn't be encased anymore.
Hope that was clearer.

Cool, yea I understand that, I just wasn't under the impression that you had let it sit for hours to break down.

really? i have had tussionex on plenty of occasions n i dont even measure a dose out i just take sips till i am where i want to be

i have drinken about a 1/3 of a 8 oz bottle of tuss in one sitting before. how much chlorphen is that?

really? i have had tussionex on plenty of occasions n i dont even measure a dose out i just take sips till i am where i want to be

i have drinken about a 1/3 of a 8 oz bottle of tuss in one sitting before. how much chlorphen is that?

there's 8mg per 5ml dose. sooooo you're looking at about 79mg if im calculating right

8 oz ~ 237mg active chem
/
1/3
=
79?

^^ i most certainly passed out about 30-45 mins after so it was def a waste but i didnt die or have any OD symptoms, just tired n hard to stand up

^^ i most certainly passed out about 30-45 mins after so it was def a waste but i didnt die or have any OD symptoms, just tired n hard to stand up

As I said before the LD50 is approx 306 mg/kg from what I've read.
79mg spread throughout a normal human body is a far cry from that

^^ apparently

sorry though i mistook what you said originally i thought you were sayin 1/3 of an 8 oz bottle of tuss was too much, was just sayin otherwise