• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

SSRIs and opiates? pod tea?

Alotsa

Bluelighter
Im wondering what your experiences are when taking opiates and SSRIs?

Ive read they can decrees the euphoric effects greatly, especially codeine which i think is a big part of pod tea, my opiate of choice. Any specific experiences with SSRIs and pod tea?

My theory about the decreased Euphoria is the inhibition of the enzyme that metabolizes the drug, AND those with depression get a lot more euphoria from opiates because they are depressed, if an SSRI takes away your depression you wont have as strong an experience.

I began taking, and fell in love with, codeine during a sommer some years ago.

The oxycodone and morphine that I was taking some years later, whilst on several SSRI's and other meds, gave me far more pleasurable effects than the early days (for obvious reasons).

I can say from experience and those of friends that SSRI's and opiates go together as well as opiates and opiates.

This isn't really answering your question but I just want to point out that you probably don't really feel the codeine when you drink pod tea... True it is one of the more abundant alkaloids in the pods but there is about 10x as much morphine which is already ~3-6x stronger orally according to equianalgesic charts... so you'd OD on morphine long before you felt anything substantial from the codeine.

Not sure about the other actives in pod tea, but codeine is definitely reduced by SSRI's. In fact someone I know on SSRI's recently took ~300mg of codeine and felt nothing (zero tolerance). You were correct in assuming that it inhibits the metabolic enzyme (CYP2D6).

the SSRI that i take (fluvoxamine) potentiates the opiate that i take (methadone)

This isn't really answering your question but I just want to point out that you probably don't really feel the codeine when you drink pod tea... True it is one of the more abundant alkaloids in the pods but there is about 10x as much morphine which is already ~3-6x stronger orally according to equianalgesic charts... so you'd OD on morphine long before you felt anything substantial from the codeine.

Yeah I agree that the codeine probably doesn't play much of a role in the effects compared to the morphine. In fact, I am deficient in the liver enzyme that breaks down codeine into the active morphine and I still get plenty of effects from pod tea.

In the beginning of the poppy pod tea thread there was what seemed to be a very knowledge able person talking about how pod tea is mostly codeine. its the long post here http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=343181&page=2 and here is the quote for those who are lazy.

----------Morphine, as an alkaloid, is not water soluble!

Codeine is slightly water-soluble, -- this is why poppy tea works. You're essentially drinking a lot of codeine water, but getting very few of the other alkaloids, and most importantly, very little morphine. This not fucking cool. Fortunately, the remedy is simple.

In Southeast Asia, the process of turning opium into heroin start with a basic morphine extraction which is done using lime (calcium oxide), slaked lime (calcium hydroxide), or limestone (calcium carbonate). For profitability reasons, groups usually use cheap chemical fertilizers containing these chemicals, but of course you don't want to go dumping fertilizer into your tea.

But, where do we get those chemicals? Well, they're all forms of calcium. In fact, calcium carbonate is the main component of many calcium supplements -- look for it on the label/description. Bottom line? Powder up calcium carbonate supplements, add them to your very lightly boiling tea, stir, and then filter off the poppy gunk for huge win. This step will convert the water-insoluble morphine into water-soluble calcium morphenate, meaning your plain old codeine tea turns into supercharged morphine and codeine tea. Keep the tea, throw away the plant matter, and enjoy. All for not too much more than your normal tea process. --------

Though Ive personally tried adding some calcium i cant say i noticed any difference. Any way this is why I thought tea was mostly codeine. Seems this is debatable
Any one have any experience with Pod Tea and SSRI's ?

So fair these post are making me feel very good. especially suessmayr.

Does any one have any thoughts on my theory about a more dpressed person able to get more from opiates? Thanks.

Generally, the only opiates that interact with the serotonin system are synthetic, such as methadone and demerol. Adding SSRI's to the mix could cause serotonin syndrome.

Pod tea and SSRI class drugs shouldn't interact with each other directly, since they work on two different sites in the brain.

I can say from experience and those of friends that SSRI's and opiates go together as well as opiates and opiates.

heres my story.
I only started toying with opiates a few months ago, mostly blues. I have loved them all along, and have never gotten beyond the point where 30mg wouldnt have me faded. I started citalopram 20mg (Only 1/2 once a day so far so 10mg each time) 2 days ago. Day 1 i did a 30 mg oxy, through a new method and shoulda been messed up. barely felt it. Today I did something i swore i never would, heroin, and i did enough so that i really shoulda been faded, barely anything. My buddy who is an experienced user did the exact same stuff, same amount, and has a MUCH higher tolerance and he said it was great. somehow i dont trust this above account that they go hand in hand. soooo....... if anyone who actually knows from experience could weigh in i'd appreciate that. I can also say that I did not have any suspicions of the opiates not working until after my experience today, so its not like i tricked myself out of the high or anything. So, am I just screwed and cant have anymore fun with opiates till i'm off the SSIR or should I maybe do it once a week or something so I have almost no tolerance at all and hopefully it will work?? I have a low tolerance as is so i really feel like today should have gone a lot better, but as I'm not addicted to anything yet (I've gone a couple days without a few times, twice by choice, with no withdrawals) I would be able to lower my usage and thus my tolerance. I'd rather do something once a week and love it than this bullshit where i dont really feel a thing.

heres my story.
I only started toying with opiates a few months ago, mostly blues. I have loved them all along, and have never gotten beyond the point where 30mg wouldnt have me faded. I started citalopram 20mg (Only 1/2 once a day so far so 10mg each time) 2 days ago. Day 1 i did a 30 mg oxy, through a new method and shoulda been messed up. barely felt it. Today I did something i swore i never would, heroin, and i did enough so that i really shoulda been faded, barely anything. My buddy who is an experienced user did the exact same stuff, same amount, and has a MUCH higher tolerance and he said it was great. somehow i dont trust this above account that they go hand in hand. soooo....... if anyone who actually knows from experience could weigh in i'd appreciate that. I can also say that I did not have any suspicions of the opiates not working until after my experience today, so its not like i tricked myself out of the high or anything. So, am I just screwed and cant have anymore fun with opiates till i'm off the SSIR or should I maybe do it once a week or something so I have almost no tolerance at all and hopefully it will work?? I have a low tolerance as is so i really feel like today should have gone a lot better, but as I'm not addicted to anything yet (I've gone a couple days without a few times, twice by choice, with no withdrawals) I would be able to lower my usage and thus my tolerance. I'd rather do something once a week and love it than this bullshit where i dont really feel a thing.

Mate you're cooked.. once you touch the SSRI's.. the Euphoria never comes back..

Mate you're cooked.. once you touch the SSRI's.. the Euphoria never comes back..

That's bullshit.

I've gotten high as hell from Oxycodone and Hydrocodone while taking Prozac which is an SSRI.

I don't see why there should be any interaction.

Doesn't e.g. citalopram inhibit the enzyme that transforms codeine into morphine?

SSRIs may block the CYP2D6 enzyme needed to convert codeine into morphine, but poppy tea is mostly morphine anyway which doesn't need enzyme activation. The post saying that morphine (as an alkaloid) is insoluble while codeine is only slightly soluble is bullshit. Both are alkaloids and are highly water soluble in water that is acidic enough. Raising pH will reduce codeine's solubility, because it doesn't have a phenolic OH group, so in fact making the solution basic (with calcium) will decrease the opiate content of it. I've actually never heard of basic morphine solutions, there's a reason everyone uses acidic ones. So as far as SSRIs' enzymatic activity goes, poppy tea should be left untouched by them.

If they interacted in any serious way for the average person we would have far more deaths than we have now.