• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Taoism

Never the tarot bs, but Lao Tzu knew what he was talking about.

So a wise leader may say:
"I practice inaction, and the people look after themselves."
But from the Sage it is so hard at any price to get a single word
That when his task is accomplished, his work done,
Throughout the country every one says: “It happened of its own accord”.

I got much more into Zhuangzi than Laozi. Laozi can be hard to interpret. He speaks in riddles and rhymes at times.

I think the opening lines to the Daode Jing are a fascinating puzzle to translate into English, and quite possibly two of the most brilliant and deep lines of poetry ever composed. Each one I read leaves me with the sense that so much has been lost in translation.
Character-by-character translation: way can way not often way / name can name not often name. Just turning over the possible ways meaning could be drawn from these two lines makes me feel elevated a bit.

Paths can be walked, uncommon paths / Names can be named, uncommon names
The way we walk is not a frequent way / The names we ascribe are not names as commonly understood (i.e. we're about to use words to mean things other than what they commonly mean)
Paths can lead to extraordinary paths / Names can signify extraordinary names

translation of these kind of texts is like translation of poetry: its pretty much linguistic rape. it actually goes for all philosophy as well, save for the analytical variety perhaps.
i followed a course at my university on chinese philosophy given by a professor in sinology, but unfortunately she lacked a deeper philosophical background. i also followed a course specifically on taoism, and that was the other way around :/ though she had been studying chinese for quite a few years though, if i remember correctly

chinese philosophy generally has two major themes: the correct naming of things and the correct ways of living. while philosophers usually place more emphasis on one or the other, they are also always intertwined. so its either 'the correct naming of things leads to the correct way of living', or the other way around. their whole philosophy is very linguistically oriented; they place great power in words and meanings as the ordering principle of society.
Taoism stresses the not-doing, the non-action, the non-being of things. while the words delineate things, order things, one has to keep his eyes open to their non-being what they are. they are grounded in a boundless alterity, and are thus always open to this 'nothing'. thus by non-doing, we can let the essence of things speak themselves.
as westerners, we will never completely comprehend their philosophy as they do, even when we would learn the language. certain things, unspeakable nuances, always get lost. not to mention that the meaning of the texts changes alongside with how their language and culture develops. Heidegger, who had extensive contacts with the oriental world, and indeed seemed to share a quite a few similarities in his philosophy of Being with the above, wrote a few great insights about this problem of irreducability in his philosophy of language.
though definitely also differing, i also found a theme closely related to this in the writings of the relatively accessable medieval christian mystic Meister Eckhart. especially his sermon on the highest value of disinterest.

Last edited:
The Tao Te Ching is one book i have read many times over and will continue to read in future. It always gives me inspiration on how to live my life. Ive studied most eastern religions and philosophies over last 10-15 years and found that I can agree with 99% of what is written in Tao Te Ching. There is a great explanation of the 82 versus of it by Wayne Dyer called " Change Your Thoughts Change Your Life" it can be found on Amazon or if want to try befor you buy it most major torrent sites, my girlfriend found it hard to understand the paradoxical nature of Tao Te Ching but found it alot easier to understand after listen to the wayne dyer audio book. hope this helps.

Its so very important to get a good translation of the tao te ching. Some of them suck and dont really understand the esoteric symbolism behind them. Some are pretty good.

Christmas Humphrey put out a decent one. I hear there are some newer even better translations though.

tao is amazing, plain and simple

i wish i could figure out where my copy of the tao te ching is :(

Taoism deeply resonates with me to be honest; the whole notion of voidness and nothingness really gels with my thinking. Its helped settle some of the pointless dualistic notions I've had which bothered me, like wondering if the world is external and perceived by me, or interenal and created by me....its both. My preferred book is the Lao Tzu version....something about the koan-like quality of it seems to reset me.