• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Subutex Has Gone Generic

cballhp

Bluelighter
Roxane Labrotories won Approval for Generic Subutex yesterday. No info on when it will hit the pharmacy shelves or price.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/NewsEvents/ucm130961.htm

The site is having issues on and off at the moment.

As of now there are no pending generics for Suboxone however.

For those interested here is a link to the Bio-equivalence trial they did on the generic a while back

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00992095?spons="Roxane+Laboratories"&spons_ex=Y&rank=50

I for one will insist my doctor switch me to a generic subutex if it is cheaper then a branded Suboxone, until a generic Suboxone is out.

wonder if my doctor would put me on subutex instead of suboxone? its easier for me to do the subutex..that weird?!

Great news! I just hope the price is at least 1/4 lower than Suboxone RB

Cuz it is such an expensive drug atm? or maybe y'r on it daily, orally? Then maybe its gettin expensive in the longrun. Otherwise, for recreational use I think Bup is one of the cheapest things out there, if you can get a hold of it of coz.

It's important to realize that if you don't have health insurance that covers a good portion of Suboxone, you will probably find that it is cheaper to get Suboxone on the street than it is from a pharmacy. Most prices in the 2009 Price Thread for Suboxone are much better than what it costs for a Suboxone prescription without any insurance coverage.

I am with Staff Writer - I hope the generic is cheaper. If anyone can find out the formulation for this, it would be interesting to see.

No shit? I was almost certain they would milk the people with opiate addiction for all the money they had before a generic. I mean, they did, but they could have done it even more for an evil pharm company.

It's important to realize that if you don't have health insurance that covers a good portion of Suboxone, you will probably find that it is cheaper to get Suboxone on the street than it is from a pharmacy. Most prices in the 2009 Price Thread for Suboxone are much better than what it costs for a Suboxone prescription without any insurance coverage.

I am with Staff Writer - I hope the generic is cheaper. If anyone can find out the formulation for this, it would be interesting to see.

I do know the binders used are talc and not cornstarch like the branded product. Before it was granted approval, Reckitt Benkiser (sp?) sent the FDA a citizen petition in hopes of holding it up, in the petition the main concern they held as reason to hold up the generic was:

"The concern is the presents of talc, a binding agent used instead of the more expensive cornstarch process used by the branded product. Their concern is that when misused by injection or inhalation the talc which is a mineral and not biodegradable, like cornstarch, can cause severe complications and in some cases death."

The fda shot them down:

Here’s some of the FDA’s response to the petition.

“Subutex and Suboxone have combined labeling, as they are intended to be used in sequence by patients. The labeling of Subutex and Suboxone instructs prescribers to initiate treatment with supervised administration . The labeling makes clear that Subutex, which does not contain naloxone, should be limited to supervised use wherever possible As patients progress, Suboxone is intended to be prescribed for take-home use in appropriately limited quantities .”

Not sure if that was the type of info you where after or not but either way makes for interesting reading I guess and that was as far as Reckitt was willing to take it.

As far as Suboxone goes, what I have heard is....

"it is very difficult to manufacture buprenorphine/naloxone combination tablets with the same and consistent absorption characteristics as the branded product, so there will not be a Suboxone generic next week. Because of the difficulties in manufacturing its possible generic companies might find it cost prohibitive to pursue it, or the generics may not cost much less than the brand name."

So it is quite possible a generic Subutex will be as good as it gets and/or as cheap as it gets. So I would expect many doctors to just switch those with finacial difficulties to a Subutex generic, at least until a Suboxone generic comes, if it all.

Thanks for the info, I will stick to the brand name Suboxone. Gotta love those orange swords.

suboxonepic.jpg

Cozy really????? Please don't try others when you have no idea what you're talking about. Who would swallow bupe?? You just don't have a tolerence and bupe is really strong, that's why you feel it, do opiates a little bit more and you'll understand. Once u have tolerence it doesn't make you high. So to pay 500$ a month for something to just make you not sick is alot of money.

Cozy really????? Please don't try others when you have no idea what you're talking about. Who would swallow bupe?? You just don't have a tolerence and bupe is really strong, that's why you feel it, do opiates a little bit more and you'll understand. Once u have tolerence it doesn't make you high. So to pay 500$ a month for something to just make you not sick is alot of money.

I'm not going to lie, Suboxone is an incredibly potent medication.

I don't entirely agree with his post though, so you're not wrong at all TMD. I do understand that the price of brand name Suboxone should be a lot cheaper than it is.

I recently calculated how much I was paying for suboxone when I didn't have health insurance and the results were INSANE:
1 8mg pill = $8
1 2mg pill= $5+

Compared to an fn 1 tramadol 50mg pill which is about 20 cents, that's just crazy.

Imagine paying like almost $500 per month for doc+meds when u r trying to get your shit together. That's almost my fakin mortgage for faks sake.

Just a note for those going on sub...stay on it for as little as possible cuz the shit is STRONG and will be hard as fak to get off of after several months of use.

I used a week of 200-300mg tramadol to get off the sub shit itself and had almost no w/d. I mean nothing like dope or sub w/d. If dope w/d is a 10, sub is about a 8-9 unless u taper to almost nothing which is hard then doing it with tramadol is about a 1-2. Take that from someone who had all kinds of w/d.

AND WHAT THE FAK ARE THE ORANGE SWORDS ON SUBOXONE ALL ABOUT? HIDDEN MEANING? RIP YOUR ASS APART EXPENSIVE AND A FAK U ALL TO THE JUNKIES?

I recently calculated how much I was paying for suboxone when I didn't have health insurance and the results were INSANE:
1 8mg pill = $8
1 2mg pill= $5+

Just a note for those going on sub...stay on it for as little as possible cuz the shit is STRONG and will be hard as fak to get off of after several months of use.

1) Yes, the 8mg pills are much more affordable which is why I refuse to get the 2mg pills, except for the first day I was in intake.

2) I've been on Suboxone for over 14 months now, and I'll be on it for a while longer. I am aware it might be difficult to discontinue, and I am aware that the drug has built up levels of itself in my system. Some mornings I wake up without withdrawal symptoms, that is what I'm really aiming for. I feel fine using buprenorphine for the long term - though all may not obviously. I do find it important to let people know that the long term use of any opiate can cause much more unpleasant effects instead of using them for the short term.

I was on it for 13 months and even thou it didn't steal my soul like dope did, I still saw a change in my personality that sub did to me. I did like being on it but once I got off I became a totally different person, seriously. People automatically notice now that someting good is going on with me, My posture changed, energy levels and more.

I totally respect your choice as I was on it for much longer than my closest peeps wanted me to be on it but once u r ready at least try to do a few weeks of being off sub, And use tramadol which any doc will give you. I got like 3 refills of 60 50mg pills just by going to some doc and asking for it. It WILL hold you almost 100% after stopping sub, something that greatly surprised me. I also used Zofran and Clonidine for several days once I stopped tramadol.

Can I ask why u choose to stay on it still? Don't want to derail the thread but I'm just really curious. My reasons were fear of chronic pain which I had really bad before getting into opiates and surprisingly it got better now to the point that I don't need meds for it, other than an occasional aleve here and there.

its important to remember also that just because a medication is generic doesn't mean its dirt cheap. It will be less expensive for sure, but not "cheap:"

Not to derail this thread any further, but can anyone possibly explain why subutex is more expensive then suboxone? It goes against all logic.

Suboxone is just subutex with something ADDED. So, why does suboxone, with 2 active ingredients, cost much less then subutex, with only 1 active ingredient?

They are made by the same company so that cant be the issue. Just seems odd.

Not to derail this thread any further, but can anyone possibly explain why subutex is more expensive then suboxone? It goes against all logic.

Suboxone is just subutex with something ADDED. So, why does suboxone, with 2 active ingredients, cost much less then subutex, with only 1 active ingredient?

They are made by the same company so that cant be the issue. Just seems odd.

Economics 101...

Supply VS Demand

Very few docs out there, as of now, write for Subutex, as it is thought that suboxone is less vulnerable to abuse....

Cuz it is such an expensive drug atm? or maybe y'r on it daily, orally? Then maybe its gettin expensive in the longrun. Otherwise, for recreational use I think Bup is one of the cheapest things out there, if you can get a hold of it of coz.

I'm on replacement therapy. So #60 of the 8mg Suboxone is around $350 a month. Now I'm on a relatively low dose (6mg) so it's a bit more reasonable. I've had the same bottle for about four months now. I just wonder if my doc would switch me to subutex for discount.:\

Does anyone else have any news on when they're going to start distributing the Subutex generic??

It's about fucking time. Fancy expecting addicts to be able to cough up $200+ / month for meds 8) Good to see people in the USA finally have some good options to get clean at a price everyone can afford

Imagine paying like almost $500 per month for doc+meds when u r trying to get your shit together. That's almost my fakin mortgage for faks sake.

Yeh, what a fucking joke. I often tell my patients how easy they have it ($20/week for whatever dose they need)... I have my shit together and I'd find it tough to scrape together $500/month for meds. To expect addicts to front that kind of cash is ass-backwards (where do you think an addict is going to get $500? The same place they'd get cash to score off the street of course... theft or prostitution etc)

Generally generic drugs are on the market within 30 days (a production cycle) so I'd expect it by mid-November

buprenorphine hydrochloride

Talked to a rep at Roxane Pharmaceuticals first of the week and they have started shipping buprenorphine hydrochloride (subutex) to retailers "Walgreens and CVS" pharmacies. Shipment to wholesalers (most pharmacies purchase from them) should be forthcoming. No word on their pricing for 2mg and 8 mg. Suboxone is still not available in a generic form