• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How do you get a sense of your mission in life?

MyDoorsAreOpen

Bluelight Crew
As long as I can remember, I've had the distinct sense that I'm here right now on this earth for a special purpose, to play some role I was always destined to play, or to accomplish some special mission. It would be nice and easy if the forces of the universe conspired in some very obvious way to hit me in the face with a rundown of what my mission in life way -- the classic angel or prophetic dream, or something along those lines. However, I don't think it usually works like that, especially for someone like myself, who isn't thick and doesn't usually need things spelled out in black and white for him.

I guess what I'm asking is, how do I get better as 'reading the signs', as it were, that the powers that be are putting in front of me, to guide me towards the right path and accomplishing what I was put here to do? How do I know that I'm not just seeing significance in something actually insignificant, in order to justify what I lazily or selfishly feel like doing, instead of what I really ought to be doing?

I'm fairly sure that if I succeeded in accomplishing my mission in life, I'd just know it, deep down. There's a deep down satisfaction and sense of closure that comes with having done the right thing and made a positive impact on the world around you, and I've tasted in the past. But the task that led me to such a feeling has typically been one that I've stumbled upon unexpectedly, rather than one I've sought out with certainty.

I'd definitely like to hear from some other people who are very sure they've received a Sign, at one point or another, after which they were utterly confident about what they must do with their lives and make of themselves. When was this moment, what form did the sign take, and how did you change after that?

"I saw the sign, it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign"

Okay, Ace of Bass references aside . . .

Another added dimension to this would be, are there any repercussions to not fulfilling this 'mission'? Would your life be any less meaningful, 'at the end of the day'?

Do all people in the world have a mission to accomplish? And if that's not the case, what makes those who do special? Are all 'missions' the same size, in terms of importance or degree of difficulty?

Regarding the former question, I would venture that even if the answer were yes, most people don't fulfill their destiny and come short of their full potential as human beings.

As far as seeking your true calling, perhaps it's something that finds you. I'm not really sure how to look for it, but I feel as though I've personally found mine.

to answer the topic question: i see what's wrong with the world and it's convinced me that i should change it into a better place so i don't die with history remembering me as a nobody who did nothing.

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
I guess what I'm asking is, how do I get better as 'reading the signs', as it were, that the powers that be are putting in front of me, to guide me towards the right path and accomplishing what I was put here to do? How do I know that I'm not just seeing significance in something actually insignificant, in order to justify what I lazily or selfishly feel like doing, instead of what I really ought to be doing?

i realized that the more i sit down to have a think, the more life slips me by. the more life slips by, the more opportunities that are caught in that moment in time slip me by in the stream. nobody has ever, nor will ever get life 100% right. i mean, life is like this uber hard video game, except ten times harder. have you EVER made it the whole way through a really hard video game your first time, getting all the secrets, scoring all the tokens, and avoiding death? if you can, then i'll be damned if being a professional video game player isn't your "right path."

since i'm also on my first run at this "life" thing, i can't say what you should do. but what i tend to do is just jump in the fray. if i see an opportunity in something that interests me, i'll do it. it doesn't matter what it is or where it is, i jump in first and figure the rest out later. i'm the kind of person who takes apart a car THEN learns to put it back together because i would never have taken it apart and LEARNED anything in the first place if i sat down and started to read about how to do it before jumping in.

life, to me, is the pursuit of learning how to become better at it and doing things i love to in the meanwhile. so i jump in, and kick open doors, and when i open a door to something that interests me, i sometimes explore the hallway and see whether it takes me in a direction that i feel like i can love going in. because love is my compass, and the world is my map.

I've had the exact same sense of 'purpose' as yourself MDAO.. for as long as i can remember, it's probably a good indicator of why i have such a difficult time putting a significant amount of energy into anything.. because i can never be sure its what im 'meant' to do. Hence why im still yet to study anything and work a low paying job.

It's one of the reasons i've become particularly interested in the idea of the 'Akashic Records' and meditation.

I feel as if though that, i'll strike a sudden passion for something at one point and be so sure of it been the right thing to do, that i will know - such as yourself.

As far as seeking your true calling, perhaps it's something that finds you. I'm not really sure how to look for it, but I feel as though I've personally found mine.

Im starting to think more and more like this.. the more i've attempted to look for what im 'meant' to do, the further i've moved away from myself, im not saying im just going to sit back and it will come to me.. but i think if i live life moment by moment as Thejuone put it: "life is the pursuit of learning how to become better at it and doing things i love to in the meanwhile". I am certain it will find me.. because you'll essentially attract it into your life by doing what you love and enjoy.

But everyone has different ways of looking at it, and considering im in the exact same position.. my advice isnt worth much :)

"I saw the sign, it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign"

Okay, Ace of Bass references aside . . .

=D Bahahaha!

Another added dimension to this would be, are there any repercussions to not fulfilling this 'mission'? Would your life be any less meaningful, 'at the end of the day'?

Perhaps. To me, the whole idea of having a mission to accomplish is tied in with the old adage of 'we are spiritual beings on a human journey'. In other words, 'I' could essentially be a spirit, or perhaps the one universal consciousness, getting into the cockpit of my present human form and living the specific human life I currently am, in order to affect some sort of change, either in the human world, or in himself, or both. Think of a spy sent to infiltrate an institution and accomplish a mission, except on a cosmic scale. %)

Do all people in the world have a mission to accomplish? And if that's not the case, what makes those who do special? Are all 'missions' the same size, in terms of importance or degree of difficulty?

That's hard to say. I can only really speak for myself, and the innate existential sense I've always had.

Since we're all essentially one, conscious mind or spirit could be singular, sequentially experiencing the world through each of our eyes at some point or another: 'I've been you and you've been me, though neither of us remember.' Similar to the Buddhist idea of rebirth.

Regarding the former question, I would venture that even if the answer were yes, most people don't fulfill their destiny and come short of their full potential as human beings.

Sadly, I'd have to agree. :(

Oh c'mon Max, you can't leave us hanging. What is it?

I've settled on medicine as a career, because it struck me at one point that, this career makes the best use of my strongest talent (my intellect), to uphold my highest value (making a tangible difference in reducing others' suffering). Plus the human body is just plain cool -- I used to read an anatomy book as a young child, for pleasure reading. The best part is, this all remains true, no matter whether my intuition about being placed here for a mission is actually true or not. If it's not true, meh, at least I have a stable and respectable career, that's highly enjoyable and does make a difference.

But who knows? There are all sorts of other decisions to make in life, besides just a career. And then there's the question of what kind of doctor to become. Although it's probably futile and I may never know for sure, it would be nice to receive some sort of cosmic sign to let me know if I'm on the right track. Dig?

Perhaps. To me, the whole idea of having a mission to accomplish is tied in with the old adage of 'we are spiritual beings on a human journey'. In other words, 'I' could essentially be a spirit, or perhaps the one universal consciousness, getting into the cockpit of my present human form and living the specific human life I currently am, in order to affect some sort of change, either in the human world, or in himself, or both. Think of a spy sent to infiltrate an institution and accomplish a mission, except on a cosmic scale. %)

Well, that seems like not completing the mission would be simply a mere disappointment. I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps suffering the consequences of failure in some kind of after life, purgatory perhaps.

Maybe someone else will have to endure the ramifications? Perhaps if you don't follow through on your mission (if it's one of helping others), that person will be negatively effected and as a result suffer because of your lack of action.

Then again, maybe 'failure' in this situation has no adverse reaction at all. Who knows.

That's hard to say. I can only really speak for myself, and the innate existential sense I've always had.

Since we're all essentially one, conscious mind or spirit could be singular, sequentially experiencing the world through each of our eyes at some point or another: 'I've been you and you've been me, though neither of us remember.' Similar to the Buddhist idea of rebirth.

Perhaps, in that same mentality, we all then have the same mission and only a select few (for whatever reason) have specific tasks to accomplish. And for them, they DO get clear and concise signs of what direction to take.

The general objective/mission for us all being love and help one another, try to gain knowledge of the world around you and in turn becoming a better person, aid the human race in progressing forward in some way, basically leaving the world a better place than you found it.

I think that is something every person should strive for. How you go about accomplishing them . . . that's your individual choice.

Oh c'mon Max, you can't leave us hanging. What is it?

I did it on purpose! :D

Becoming a middle school science teacher. I don't know if I had that 'AH HA!' moment you speak of, but rather several small, subtle moments of clarity that just clicked in a minuscule, albeit noticeable way. One of those moments came during an LSD trip that kind of put life in a certain perspective for me, as far as future life planning goes. That moment was just one of many though.

I decided I wanted to choose a career that made a difference. A tangible one at least. Sure, being a janitor 'makes a difference', in the general sense of the phrase. I wanted to make a lasting impression in someone's life, for the better. Education is also a field that is lacking in many many ways, especially in America.

But who knows? There are all sorts of other decisions to make in life, besides just a career. And then there's the question of what kind of doctor to become. Although it's probably futile and I may never know for sure, it would be nice to receive some sort of cosmic sign to let me know if I'm on the right track. Dig?

I agree that it's nice to have that sense of assurance knowing that you're on the right track. But you certainly can't put your life on hold until that cosmic sign hits you. If it feels right, and it seems that it does, keep doing it. What kind of doctor to become, you just have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

I am curious though about, "There are all sorts of other decisions to make in life, besides just a career". In terms of your mission in life, what other factors are you referring to?

There are two paths we are on while we go on living our life, one that we are consciously aware and perhaps choose, and another which we are not aware, and of which it takes us to a place where our true calling is. We are doing it without knowing it, without being consciously aware, until you "catch a glimpse of the sense of it".

It is always there, it is a matter of seeing it here and there when the paths converge, at a specific time where you are open to see it and by making the right associations-it allows you to be fully in it but in an eatherial kind of way-in a very... lightness of being-in a point of a switch of consciousness. It is always indirect, it works covertly on its own weaved as if it were, pretty much like a second layer of a fabric within a fabric which it suddenly exposes itself for a momentary view almost elusively from the everyday awareness-yet so real and embeded with so much meaning-like an "aha" we are in its presence-all along while we live out life, and you need to be aware to "see its presence" one is in a state of surrender when it comes to your awareness-surrender of the ego boundaries pretty much like when you let go and float on the surface of the ocean.

It touches your whole being and you KNOW because it fullfills you to a degree that you are submerged into it. There is no doubt in it-you know for it comes from a place within yet which is merged with a larger consciousness. It does not come from the will! You then know, that it was always there you were doing your calling, indirectly without being aware of its presence.
Once you are aware, you then follow it with passion. You know, you are on the right path with it-you find yourself un-stoppable in its grasp, you gain nothing out of it-but your essence is fully in it, there is nothing else but pleasure, though it is in the service of others.

Last edited:
Well, that seems like not completing the mission would be simply a mere disappointment. I was thinking more along the lines of perhaps suffering the consequences of failure in some kind of after life, purgatory perhaps.

Sort of what I was thinking. I'm definitely more about cyclic rebirth than purgatory, and I can see this life being like a test that I need to pass, in order to progress onto the next level.

Maybe someone else will have to endure the ramifications? Perhaps if you don't follow through on your mission (if it's one of helping others), that person will be negatively effected and as a result suffer because of your lack of action.

Then again, maybe 'failure' in this situation has no adverse reaction at all. Who knows.

True. I don't know for sure. But if I was indeed placed here to accomplish something important, I definitely don't want to miss my shot at it.

The general objective/mission for us all being love and help one another, try to gain knowledge of the world around you and in turn becoming a better person, aid the human race in progressing forward in some way, basically leaving the world a better place than you found it.

I'm DEFINITELY with you on this!

Becoming a middle school science teacher. I don't know if I had that 'AH HA!' moment you speak of, but rather several small, subtle moments of clarity that just clicked in a minuscule, albeit noticeable way. One of those moments came during an LSD trip that kind of put life in a certain perspective for me, as far as future life planning goes. That moment was just one of many though.

I decided I wanted to choose a career that made a difference. A tangible one at least. Sure, being a janitor 'makes a difference', in the general sense of the phrase. I wanted to make a lasting impression in someone's life, for the better. Education is also a field that is lacking in many many ways, especially in America.

That's very admirable, Max. I respect anyone who has the courage to take on junior high students -- they're at a place developmentally and hormonally that's hard for adults to understand and work with. I know because I'm married to a junior high math teacher, and because I failed at teaching junior high, royally. Best of luck to you.

I agree that it's nice to have that sense of assurance knowing that you're on the right track. But you certainly can't put your life on hold until that cosmic sign hits you. If it feels right, and it seems that it does, keep doing it. What kind of doctor to become, you just have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

I am curious though about, "There are all sorts of other decisions to make in life, besides just a career". In terms of your mission in life, what other factors are you referring to?

Well, for example, a part of me says I should be spending most of my free time doing charity work of some sort. I also wonder if there's a particular place I was meant to settle down and live. That sort of thing.

Listen to your emotions. What cures your boredom? What makes you feel satisfied? What is fun? What do you feel empty without? If you were very busy for several months or years with little free time, what would you crave to do?

Last edited:
Why should there be any special mission that is set for you to do? I dont think you should be set on 'finding' what your mission is, just live life and you are the mission, your life is. I aim to be a millionaire before i hit 23. If i can achieve that then ill probably just go on holiday for the rest of my life, travelling the world, eating nice food, and using good drugs.

Perhaps it's about the journey, more than it's about the destination.

(btw MDAO, don't scare me off just yet. I'm not dead seat on jr high!!)

but it could all end in an instant. you know, hit by a car kind of instant, you're dead, and your mission, if it existed, is either completed or incomplete. and if its not... and if it is... i mean what's the difference - im not a nihilist, but i feel nihilism is a very real force, or lack there of, which has to be considered.

its nice when reincarnationists say that each life is striving for better karma, but whats the end goal? especially if we're all one mind? because then aren't we just arguing with our mind about what our purpose is?

wish i could even have an idea of what my purpose is other than a student of life but sometimes i doubt there is such a thing as a "purpose" either way i keep my mind and eyes open in the words of the dead "once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

"La Nature est un temple où de vivants piliers
Laissent parfois sortir de confuses paroles;
L'homme y passe à travers des forêts de symboles
Qui l'observent avec des regards familiers.

Comme de longs échos qui de loin se confondent
Dans une ténébreuse et profonde unité,
Vaste comme la nuit et comme la clarté,
Les parfums, les couleurs et les sons se répondent.

II est des parfums frais comme des chairs d'enfants,
Doux comme les hautbois, verts comme les prairies,
— Et d'autres, corrompus, riches et triomphants,

Ayant l'expansion des choses infinies,
Comme l'ambre, le musc, le benjoin et l'encens,
Qui chantent les transports de l'esprit et des sens.

— Charles Baudelaire"

(Go here for several translations)

I am too small to have ambitions of changing the world. Merely existing is a burden almost unbearable.

Life is too ridiculous for missions, and such ridiculousness seems to be only interpretable as poetic analogy.

With this in mind, I glean meaning from my existence by observing the poetry of life. When the symbols are consistent, when coincidences coincide, when serendipity itself is serendipitous, the proverbial lines of life rhyme with perfect metre. It is then that I know I'm existing properly.

I think first you need to ask yourself whether or not you have a mission at all.

I don't think there is a specific mission that one is "supposed" to fulfill. I don't think there is a reprocussion for following or not following the path that is best suited for you, other than living a rewarding life and feeling happy with what you are doing. Part of this I think depends on your religious\spiritual beliefs. I'm not very spiritual and I am athiest, so I think the only greater calling that one has is just a desire to do what makes you feel fulfilled. Finding out what that is, well, different people discover in different ways.

For me, I thought all through high shool that I would go into business like the majority of my family. Part of discovering my real passion came from thinking, envisioning my future: how would I feel, sitting at a desk doing such-and-such all day? Would I be happy? Would I succeed? Is it something I feel like I could do for years on end and enjoy it? The answer for me was no. And that's not to say there is anything wrong with going into business (as broad of a field as that is) but for me, it didn't spark anything more than a faint feeling of familiarity and security.

The second step was deciding, "ok, what DO I want to do". I looked at simple things in my life that made me happy. It kind of dawned on me one day- I get the biggest kick out of life, the biggest sense of accomplishment by relating to another person. Helping someone out on a personal level. Disovering what makes someone "tick" and using this information to work in their benefit. Counseling!! That's what I'm currently working toward in college right now, and I love it.

There are all sorts of other decisions to make in life, besides just a career.

Absolutely! :) I joined a volunteer club at school because it's another way I see myself making other people's lives better. I'm not trying to act like a martyr, its really just as rewarding for me as it is beneficial to those affected by the community service, so it's a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone type of deal.

tl;dr - Short version: Just some deep thinking. No need to over analyze, just think of what makes you tick, and where you're strengthes lie and see what kind of real world outlet you can plug that into. Obviously if I really wanted to make the biggest impact on people's lives, I'd go to med school and work on fighting cancer- BUT considering I suck at science, I took a more realistic but still rewarding approach. Look at the two issues: What you really want, and what is feasible for you to do that fits your lifestyle. Put the two together, and all you have to do is take action.

Happy searching MDAO :D

I am too small to have ambitions of changing the world. Merely existing is a burden almost unbearable.

Life is too ridiculous for missions, and such ridiculousness seems to be only interpretable as poetic analogy.

With this in mind, I glean meaning from my existence by observing the poetry of life. When the symbols are consistent, when coincidences coincide, when serendipity itself is serendipitous, the proverbial lines of life rhyme with perfect metre. It is then that I know I'm existing properly.

^ That

My mission in life is to exist a little longer, and then to die. I believe in setting achievable goals.

I am concerned my reply may have come out slightly too negative (for MDAO).

Let me try to put it in more positive words for you (really, I find beauty in my world view - nothing bitter about it):

"The Sign" is not a singular event, but rather a succession of signs that make poetic sense. By "poetic" (as I have written in several other threads here before) I mean metaphoric and, when viewed in the grand scheme of things, makes sense in an emergent sort of way.

I believe the idea is similar to the Jungian concept of synchronicity. One can only follow the world's winks and nudges, one's purpose will never be spelled out. I see one's purpose in life as being way bigger than one could ever comprehend, and therefore I see searching for it as a futile endeavour that often leads to lots of frustration. As such, knowledge of one's purpose is, to me, of a gnostic rather than an epistemological nature.

But who knows, maybe this dervish is just blabbering ;).