Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: 7.8.09 - Three Victoria Police test positive at work

hyroller

Bluelighter
RANDOM drug testing of Victoria Police officers has found three members under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on duty.

Of 227 tests conducted on police in the first year of testing, two officers tested positive to drugs while another returned a positive alcohol reading.

All three positive results were detected in males.

Under the Police Regulation Act, the force will not disclose any identifying details regarding the members, including their rank or work location.

Acting Insp Jane Welsh, of the human resources department alcohol and other drugs unit, said disciplinary action had been taken against two members, while the third member had resigned.

"Promoting safe work practices and providing a safe, professional and ethical service to the Victorian community requires employees who are fit for duty and not affected by alcohol or other drugs," she said.

"Members also need to be confident their colleagues are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol and are assured they are working alongside capable people."

Insp Welsh said there had been no cases of positive drug or alcohol use by members involved in critical incidents.

Testing of police, protective service officers, recruits and reservists for drugs and alcohol came into effect on August 18 last year.

retrieved here

ho-hum 8)

Fukn bastards, why do we have to follow there drug regulations then?

They're not their 'regulations', they're the governments. The police are in place to simply enforce those laws!!!

It would be, however, incredibly hypocritical if these officers were arresting and charging individuals for the same behaviour they were displaying themselves. :\

Always makes me laugh when I see these bastards getting caught. I bet they catch a very small percentage and a lot more pigs are on drugs than most people think.

It makes me angry to think that these men have helped enforce drug laws that they break themselves.

Police who tested positive to drugs reassigned, not charged

Anthony Dowsley, August 07, 2009 12:00am

UPDATE 3.22pm: VICTORIA Police says drug use among the force is to be expected, after two officers tested positive while on duty.

The two officers have been reassigned to different roles within the force but will not be charged.

Of 227 random tests conducted on police in the first year of testing, two officers tested positive to drugs while another returned a positive alcohol reading.

All three positive results were detected in males.

The member who tested positive to alcohol has since resigned, Acting Inspector Jane Welsh said today.

Inspector Welsh, of the human resources department's alcohol and other drugs unit, said today the officers were not being treated any differently to civilians.

She said the positive alcohol and drug tests by on duty police officers came as "no surprise''.

"Victoria Police understood that Victoria Police members represent the broader community and for that reason it was reasonable to anticipate that there would be drug use within the ... force,'' she said.

Insp Welsh said Victoria Police had a responsibility to oversee the welfare of those officers by helping them to rehabilitate or ultimately separating them from the force if the risk posed was too great.

But Insp Welsh said the two male officers who returned positive drug tests continued to work for Victoria Police.

"At this stage they have had their duties reassigned and that will be coupled with intervention and further counselling with regard to the drug use,'' Inspector Welsh told reporters.

Insp Welsh said the members may be subjected to further testing under a management plan developed for the officers in regards to their drug use.

She would not say what drugs the pair tested positive to, only that they were illicit.

Insp Welsh said there had been no cases of positive drug or alcohol use by members involved in critical incidents.

Under the Police Regulation Act, the force will not disclose any identifying details regarding the members, including their rank or work location.

Testing of police, protective service officers, recruits and reservists for drugs and alcohol came into effect on August 18 last year.

Retrieved from Herlad Sun

Insp Welsh on police drug testing [mp3]

Thats a total fucking cop out. So a non police officer can be charged with drug use but these cops should keep their jobs and face no charges? What a joke!

Cops taking drugs 'should be punished'

By Melissa Jenkins and Michelle Draper

August 07, 2009 06:40pm

VICTORIAN police officers who dabble in illicit drugs should feel the full force of the law, says the State Opposition following the disclosure that two officers have tested positive.

A police inspector said drug use was to be expected within the force and insisted the officers were not being treated any differently to civilians.

Two male officers who tested positive to illicit drugs while on duty have not been charged and were reassigned to different roles.

Another officer who tested positive to alcohol has since resigned.

Inspector Jane Welsh said the positive tests came as "no surprise".

"Victoria Police understood that Victoria Police members represent the broader community and for that reason it was reasonable to anticipate that there would be drug use within the ... force," Insp Welsh said.

But Opposition police spokesman Andrew McIntosh said law enforcers should have higher standards.

"The whole idea is the Victoria Police have got to maintain a very high standard because of the position that they hold," he said.

"A police officer that has illegal drugs detected in his system, it then not only means they are unable to perform their function as a police officer, but most importantly what you are doing is diminishing the integrity of Victoria Police because that police officer is highly susceptible, I would have thought, to corrupt activities.

"They could be blackmailed to turn a blind eye to other criminal activities."

Insp Welsh, of the human resources department's alcohol and other drugs unit, said the members may be subjected to further testing.

The drug and alcohol use was detected during 227 random tests conducted since August last year.

The positive tests did not occur following critical incidents, Inspector Welsh said.

She would not say what drugs the pair tested positive to, only that they were illicit.

Police Minister Bob Cameron's office did not return calls.

Herald Sun

The number of coppers who choofed before testing came in would astonish everyone... not dissimilar to the tradition of getting loaded up on a Friday night if one worked at Richmond 900 and taking shots at the Town Hall clock with S&W model 10s from the BBQ area.

Times change. Some coppers don't.

It would be an interesting situation of the police force had random drug tests and were followed up in the media about their use (similar to how sports people are treated).

Absurd that they're still employed in the police department, that's the height of hypocrisy. They should have been fired without question.

That is a very interesting idea grass lemon. I reckon they should definately do it. What kind of society are we living in when athletes are held to higher standars than police officers?

That is a very interesting idea grass lemon. I reckon they should definately do it. What kind of society are we living in when athletes are held to higher standars than police officers?
Hahaha all we need now is a group of people who are actually interested in police officers lives :p.

Fucking ridiculous.

What makes me more aggravated is that the drugs they are 'on' are most likely ones they have seized & charged everyday folk for having in the first place!!!!!!

GRRRRRR

Fucking ridiculous.

What makes me more aggravated is that the drugs they are 'on' are most likely ones they have seized & charged everyday folk for having in the first place!!!!!!

GRRRRRR
I think you're probably close to the mark with this statement. Wouldn't it be interesting to see these officers' stash ;).

They just like getting high like the rest of us
They serve an important role in sociaty and Im sure some of them don't like enforcing drug law but they have to anyway

They just like getting high like the rest of us
They serve an important role in sociaty and Im sure some of them don't like enforcing drug law but they have to anyway

Thats very true. I know a few young coppers (both still in the force and resigned) and they are just your average person doing all the shit we do. They dont like enforcing it but 'they have too'. Just part of their jobs. Im sure many of us have jobs were we dont like certain things or dont wanna do it but we have to. Same shit applies.

And they cant deny that drugs are fun :D lol

But seriously, where does all the seized drugs go anyways? I mean does it get destroyed? like who knows but I never really knew or found out what does happen to all those seized items. I mean its not like they can re-sell them at a police auction like other goods lol but like yeah. Anyone know?

I mean does it get destroyed? like who knows but I never really knew or found out what does happen to all those seized items. I mean its not like they can re-sell them at a police auction like other goods lol but like yeah. Anyone know?

All forfeited property gets destroyed. Drugs get burned, whereas they will trash other goods (say, a speaker suspected of being stolen and then goes unclaimed) themselves by such high tech methods as kicking etc

^^^^ Bull fucking shit.

None of us has ANY idea about what goes unaccounted for.

We can only dream!

imo this will be swept under the carpet like alot of things , i used to have a GF whos Dad got caught for Dope Plantation in his shed. The arresting cops offered 2 scenarios Jail or Free money and Dope every month. He had that operation going on for about a decade.

Cops dont get the name Pigs for no reason , they are actually Corrupt Pigs