Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

California 'Treatment Not Jail' Prop 36 Funding Slashed 83%

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
StopTheDrugWar.org

Drug War Chronicle

07/31/2009

With California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) and the state legislature desperate to eliminate a $26 billion budget deficit, the state's voter-approved Proposition 36, which mandates that low-level drug offenders be ordered to treatment instead of jail, is not immune from the budget axe. Under the budget agreement just hammered out, Prop. 36 funding will take a massive 83% cut in funding, from $108 million last year to just $18 million next year.

That means thousands of California drug offenders will get neither jail nor treatment. State law forbids jailing them, and there will be nowhere near enough money to treat them.

"The courts are still obligated to push the people into treatment, knowing that the funds, the programs, the services aren't there," said Haven Fearn, director of the Contra Costa County Health Services Department's Alcohol and Other Drug Services Division. "That's the craziness that everyone is having to deal with. What's the answer to that?" she told the Oakland Tribune.

"It's sort of silly, it's awfully close to having just eliminated the program. You get down to such a core level that it's of very little use to most people," said Gary Spicer, management services director at the Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Services Agency. "What you wind up with is a treatment delivery system that's monopolized by judicial referrals and no longer available at the community level," he said. "It's a harm that keeps on hurting," he told the Tribune.

Margaret Dooley-Sammuli, deputy state director for the Drug Policy Alliance, said the slashed funding will result in "very long waiting lists" and drug offenders walking free while waiting for treatment.

Under Proposition 36, which was approved by 61% of voters in 2000, first- and second-time drug offenders must be sent to treatment, not jail. A UCLA study found that every dollar spent on Prop. 36 drug treatment would save the state between $2.50 and $4. The study estimated the program needs about $230 million a year to meet the judicially-referred treatment demand.

Prop. 36 mandated $120 million a year in state funding through the 2005-06 fiscal year, but since then the program has had to compete for funding with other state priorities. The legislature increased funding to $145 million in 2006-07, then cut it to $120 million in 2007-08, and cut it again to $108 million last year.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/596/california_prop_36_treatment_not_jail_funding_cut

This is proof the US government does not care about you. If there's no treatment and no jail time, why not legalize drugs?

It's absurd that a cost-saving program, that saves more money as more money is dedicated to it, would be one of the programs to cut.

fuckit, this just means that if you're caught with weed you go free with a fine, as opposed to bullshit "treatment" and even more bullshit jailtime.

Hopefully this will get rid of bullshit treatment that caught cannabis users without a problem take over jail and treatment will only be for people that actually have a problem. I also agree with Tchort that it makes no sense to cut funding for a cost-saving program though.

This program saved me from having a lengthy pretty rap sheet under my name. Its sad to see them cut it, especially to cut 5/6ths of its funding!!! Retarded...

That is a fucking shame, I mean this is bad news for addicts who need help. It is obviously a positive for people who get busted for weed or ecstasy who wont have to go to rehab over a non existant drug problem.

It is sad that a lot of helpless addicts are going to suffer from this and just because they don't get treatment or jail the first time around doesn't mean they wont be getting jail the second time around. Which is likely to be sooner rather than later given the fact they aren't going to get treatment.

I feel bad for true drug addicts, but I'm glad to see that it's looking more and more like legalization for drugs in California each day.

I have a lot to say on this topic, as I am a "graduate" of this program. However, it is 2:30 in the morning and I don't have it in me to type much. I hope there will be more replies next time i read the thread, see how others feel about it or if anybody else was in this program.

People tend to think Cali is sooooo lax. No it's not. It's one of the world's biggest economies (pre/post recession). Drug court has saved many a lives and many an ass raping in jail whether the convicted like it or not. ~7/10 times I get caught for weed, if it's under an ounce I don't even get a ticket though. The trick is they bust you for "paraphanelia"...that you just walked out of a fucking headshop with.

Anyways, with the deplorable cuts in prop. 36, there's A LOT of junkies out there that think "oh this is all old hat mr. occiffer...process me, tox tank me, and give me my prop 36 date." "Um, we don't even do that here anymore...you're going to a federal rape me in the ass pen for getting caught buy me selling you this dime of black." "fuck"

doesn't this techinally make all drugs of a personal amount legal in a way, since nothing will happen to you other then what was said above?