Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

How a Rich Suburban Girl Became a Drug Kingpin

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
How a Rich Suburban Girl Became a Drug Kingpin
Jeff Deeney
The Daily Beast

Ever since the murder of Rian Thal two weeks ago in Philadelphia, everyone wants to know how this girl from a wealthy suburb ended up a high-stakes drug trafficker in the city’s hip-hop scene—but it’s not as unusual as you might think.

In the early evening light of Saturday, June 27, four men barely disguised by low-drawn baseball caps casually strolled into a Philadelphia luxury apartment complex, took the elevator to the seventh floor, and shot up-and-coming club promoter, 34-year-old Rian Thal, in the head. Multiple surveillance cameras captured the seeming ease with which the killers performed. On their way out, one shooter nearly walked into a man carrying a piece of furniture, smoothly side-stepped around him, and slid anonymously out the door.

A sign reading “Under Constant Video Surveillance” is prominently displayed at the entrance to the apartment complex where this took place, and on June 27, those cameras paid off: Last week, 25-year-old Katoya Jones, seen in the video letting the killers into the building, was charged with murder and conspiracy. According to police, Jones, who also lived at the Piazza, is the girlfriend of North Philly drug dealer James "Poo" Wilson, 36, who masterminded the plot. Wilson is still at large.

The Piazza wasn’t meant for cold-blooded drug crimes. An 80,000-square-foot plaza ringed by clothing boutiques, art galleries and trendy restaurants, real-estate heavy-hitter Bart Blatstein dropped $500 million to make it not just an apartment complex, but an ongoing cultural event.

Nor was Thal the type of woman most people think of when they imagine a drug kingpin. A petite, blond, perpetually smiling product of an upscale Philadelphia suburb, her neighbors mainly remembered her as a cat lover whose drug of choice was nothing stronger than chocolate candy. Thal’s Twitter feed featured posts like, "Oh my god I am having a foodgasm, chocolate chip bread pudding!!!!!"

Yet when police arrived at her building, they found four kilos of cocaine in Thal’s penthouse apartment, along with $100,000 in cash. Newspaper reporters scrambled to her MySpace page, and found glamorous pictures of Thal out on the town with the city’s hip-hop and sports stars. She was big enough that the nightclub she promoted, Plush, had advertised a joint birthday party on July 18 for Thal and James "Kamal" Gray, a member of famed Philly hip-hop group The Roots.

Thal’s moneyed high gloss, it turned out, stemmed from her underworld involvement, which went back at least a decade. She was an improbable real-deal, big-time trafficker who had once been convicted of smuggling meth into the U.S., and, in a separate incident, was kidnapped and then released by another drug dealer, possibly as part of a disputed deal.

And now around Philadelphia, even as the details of the case are still unfolding, the question is on everyone’s lips: How did this white girl (in the hip-hop clubs, she was actually known as “white girl”) from the wealthy suburbs get to this level of the drug game in the first place? Having previously been in a similar position myself, let me try to shed some light on how someone like Thal could end up a big shot in that world.

It’s not as surprising as you’d think that someone like Thal, a reported casual coke user, would find herself being asked if she wanted to start participating in deals. I once knew a coke dealer—not a barroom nickel and dimer, but the kind of dude who could get you kilo if you needed it—and there were moments of opportunity when I, too, was asked if I wanted to get in on the game. Did I want to front five grand and go in on a niner? The question came up more than once.

So when I read about Rian Thal’s murder, I wondered how long ago it was that someone put a similar question to her. Did she want to get in on a brick? Would she mind if someone stashed a couple at her crib, along with some cash?

My friend didn’t typically deal in weight as big as Thal did—his usual deals were in the “4½ to 9” range, the two standard ounce measures that midlevel Philly coke dealers trade in. In the apartment above his corner store was the coke, usually right out on a desk next to a digital postal scale, a softball-size chunk we spent endless nights and days chipping pieces off to grind into powder and snort.

This friend ran with a crowd similar to the one Thal mingled with, and in this crowd he did business with a major coke dealer whose street name was “Real Roller.” Real Roller used his drug money to start a business promoting up-and-coming entertainers he knew from the streets in Philly (one of whom went on to tremendous success) until he died of a pancake-and-syrup overdose, which is the drug combination of codeine cough syrup and Xanax, not the breakfast food.

His funeral was an invite-only event for the regional street elite and entertainment-industry figures. My coke dealer friend was invited; he showed me the glossy flier invitation. Celebrities at the funeral (Allen Iverson, Beanie Sigel, Jay Z) purportedly knew Real Roller from his entertainment business. Or did they? It’s hard to say, and by my friend’s report there were a lot more drug dealers than entertainers or athletes at the service.

Point is, the two social ladders—the drug world’s and the entertainment world’s—are inevitably intertwined, and my friend, just another privileged white guy from the suburbs who started out a small-time user, had ascended them. Every now and then, he and I went out for hip-hop nights in Market Street clubs that were part of the same scene Thal worked in. When we walked in the door, heads turned, the shout outs came in waves, big men got up from their seats to throw enthusiastic hand slaps and shoulder bumps at my friend. He had become not only well known, but well respected in this crowd that ran thick with established drug suppliers.

Such, it seems, was Rian Thal. She was an influential figure, a girl who, through circumstances not as unlikely as you might think, became an apparent middleman for the Real Rollers of the drug world. Even though I was further removed from the top of the chain than Thal was, I got the same offer she must have: Did I want in? It’s easy to see how someone who liked moving with power players and climbing social ladders, who craved glamour and excitement, could easily say yes.

But it’s not all glamour and special access, as I learned one morning when I went to my friend’s store to get high. His car, a lightly used Lincoln, was riddled with bullet holes. He feigned nonchalance; just a couple neighborhood kids messing around, he said, nothing to worry about.

It suddenly dawned on me, something self-evident to anyone less drug-addled than I was: The world of high-stakes drug deals is no glamorous fantasy game. Any of those long nights I spent in that room above my friend’s store, the door could have been kicked in and both of us shot in the head for that coke sitting on the table and the money knot in his pocket.

I said no to my dealer’s offer to get in on the game because I understood that there is a certain amount of ruthlessness necessary to rise through the ranks of the drug world. If I had gotten in, I would have been an easy target, someone who obviously wasn’t cut out for the job, and who shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

It’s easy to imagine Rian Thal’s killers felt the same way about her the day they slipped into the Piazza and turned out the lights on her.

Link!

Inside the Dead Girl's Wild Nightclub
Jeff Deeney
The Daily Beast

One month after rich suburban girl-turned-drug-trafficker Rian Thal was murdered in her luxury apartment building, Jeff Deeney goes inside Plush, the Philly hip-hop club where she was a rising star.

It’s midnight and I’m standing in line outside of Plush, the Philadelphia hip-hop nightclub where Rian Thal worked before she was shot dead last month in the stairwell of her luxury apartment building.

The line, comprised entirely of young black men and women, is stared down by bulky private security officers in black SWAT-style uniforms, prominent handguns and billy clubs holstered at their hips. One of the hard-faced officers explains that the security here is provided mostly by off-duty cops and correctional officers. Usually there’s also a police car or two parked directly in front, but not tonight.

t’s nearly impossible to believe, but before she was murdered, this was the territory of Rian Thal, a young blonde with a slight frame and pixie smile who grew up in a wealthy suburb a world away from this nightspot. When police found Thal’s body on June 27, they also found four kilos of cocaine and $100,000 in her apartment, to the astonishment of many who knew her. Last week, police charged 40-year-old drug dealer Will “Pooh” Hook with orchestrating Thal’s murder.

The case, still unfolding, becomes more cryptic by the day, partly because of the wildly varying reports of who Thal really was—everyone you ask seems to think she was somebody different.

Ask the police, and they’ll tell you she was a big-time drug trafficker who was neck deep in the game for years before finally getting in over her head. Ask her friends and work associates, and they’ll swear up and down she was a self-made mogul whose honest work ethic helped her rise through the ranks of the entertainment world, from bartender to trendsetting socialite.

Her parents knew her as their popular daughter who had attended a good Jewish private school in the wealthy Philadelphia suburb where they lived. And years later, a judge would meet her as the young woman who complained that her house-arrest ankle monitor, earned after a drug possession charge, was interfering with her work at a gentlemen’s club.

But perhaps the answer to the question of who Thal really was at the end of her tragically short life is known best to a group of people who aren’t talking: the clubgoers of the Philly hip-hop scene. For these people, in the gray space where the entertainment world and the drug world intersect, the life of Rian Thal is a closely guarded secret when outsiders like this reporter come nosing around for clues.

Plush Nightclub, which Thal promoted for, is not what one would call upscale. It does not recall the lush imagery of MTV rap videos, where elite profilers sip Champagne and whisper sweet nothings to supermodels while money rains down from above. The crowd at Plush tonight is rough around the edges; there are a lot of tattoos signifying corner-drug-crew affiliations, low-drawn, flat-brimmed baseball caps, and oversize undershirts. And just maybe, that’s the reason Rian Thal was brought on board—her RiGirl Productions party-planning company was known for attracting the cream of the entertainment crop to unlikely places.

For Thal to end up working for a place like Plush is not as crazy as it sounds. In the club and drug world, where race, class and cred make their own rules, Thal’s white skin, blond hair, and perky demeanor made her a natural standout. The same way a black kid at a rich white prep school can become a star because he looks different, so too could Thal coast upward on her head-turning “who’s that?” celebrity. In a place like Plush, she could be an “It” girl.

Because if there’s one thing Plush is not, it’s perky. The first thing that hits you when you walk in the door is the wall of moist heat generated by the hundreds of bodies packed onto the small dance floor. After just a minute, beads of sweat already stand out on your forehead. After another minute, you realize there’s no point in wiping them away because they reform as quickly you can mop them. It’s not long before your clothes are entirely soaked.

The room has all the ambience of a high-school gymnasium converted for a dance; the walls are brick and cinderblock painted a garish orange-red, and at the head of the room is a platform that barely qualifies as a stage where heavily tatted dudes in wifebeaters mill about, some holding microphones and rapping along with the music, some just taking up space. The music is so loud that you have to scream directly into someone’s ear for them to hear you. The crowd loves the down and dirty vibe that prevails; booty bounces to the beat of Juvenile’s “Back Dat Ass Up.”

When the song ends, one of the wifebeater boys onstage calls out: “If you ladies got some good coochie, bring it on up here!” Girls’ hands go up around the room, as if to say, “I got it, but you ain’t gettin’ it.”

There’s a second, smaller room with a bar where shots of Henny and E&J are doled out in plastic cups. There are high, cushioned benches along the wall where ladies sit, adjusting their makeup. There are no velvet ropes, no VIP spaces for high rollers. The floor is plain white tiles like you’d find in someone’s kitchen. Plush is aggressively democratic in its grittiness.

Not surprisingly, nobody’s interested in talking to the one white guy in the place who’s looking for information about the girl who used to work in the club and just got killed over four kilos of coke. Some of these people have likely been recently ambushed by homicide detectives asking similar questions. Heads shake silently and hands wave in my face indicating that nobody here has anything to say about the murder.

Other attempts to dig deeper into the life of Rian Thal have yielded little; her family and friends that weren’t involved in drugs or hip-hop deny that the woman portrayed in the media as an underworld heavyweight is the same person they knew. Friends insist that she was a workaholic gymrat who never touched anything stronger than a sip of Grey Goose. This, despite Thal’s previous conviction for attempting to smuggle methamphetamine into the country from Amsterdam and, in a separate incident, getting caught ditching a bag of coke during a raid on a strip club where she used to work.

The only response to a number of emails and MySpace messages sent to hip-hop promoters and artists around the city came from Breigh Marquisette, owner of Get it Girl Promotions. Marquisette says she was a friend of Thal’s who had worked alongside her in the Philly hip-hop party scene and visited her home a number of times. (I was unable to verify this.) Marquisette says she’s been involved with the drug dealers who are welcomed in the entertainment industry, a business she describes as a cash-driven, off-the-books enterprise.

“I began as a bartender and eventually became a promoter. At an earlier point in my career, I was very closely affiliated with drug dealers and the ‘dark side’ of the entertainment industry. Being a young, attractive female in this industry made it easy for me to get close to the ‘ballers.’"

She laid out a hypothetical scenario describing how things might progress from this point, taking a girl from the ‘burbs deep into the drug game.

“A young, attractive female might get to know a drug dealer through the club scene. He might let her sell some weed, cocaine, or ecstacy [sic] pills to make herself some extra money. It might escalate into driving large amounts of drugs or money to a specific location. Eventually, this drug dealer might put her up in an upscale condo and all she has to do in return is keep a safe full of his drugs.”

But, Marquisette insists, she’s only speaking hypothetically; due to her close connection to Thal, she refuses to comment on the murder. “It would be disrespectful and distasteful for me to discuss her and her situation directly.”

Which leaves us with the strangely stilted and still-unexplained story of a hardworking girl who seemed to live multiple lives, one of which got her murdered for four kilos of coke and $100,000 that she just happened to have in her closet. If the whole truth were only as simple as her friends make it seem, she might still be alive today.

Link!

Interesting story, it happens all too often with heavy hitters gfs. Not the accomplice to murder part but just gettig in over their heads in the game.

Has the racial undercurrent of drug issues ever been clearer?
When the reporter isn't sure code words like "suburban" and "hiphop" are getting his point across he just comes right out and says the race of the murdered girl and the race of the majority of the patrons of the club she frequented.

This story amounts to "omg blond rich white girl involved with them drug dealing darkies' :!

I feel like the "kingpin" status is being thrown around pretty often these days for people who are certainly not one.

The_Idler thinks he knows everything about the US. Get a new schtick already.

I think he has a point though, the story has had quite the attention here, and that wouldn't have been the case if she was a minority.

As for the "kingpin" bit. It's bullshit. I don't see her doing anything above storing drugs/money or being a silent partner. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that the author threw the kingpin title out there. Admittedly he's 'been in the game' as an addict and now works within the open-air market area as a social worker. But you know, if it'll get you published...

With all the discussion of racism, I think it is interesting that sexism wasn't mentioned at all.
If a 34-year old male had been killed, I doubt very much that the press would be calling him a "boy". Yet they call her a "girl"...?

I feel like the "kingpin" status is being thrown around pretty often these days for people who are certainly not one.

That was my first reaction as well. However, it never occurs to the tax-paying public (who funds and supports the drug war) that a kingpin isn't going to be hassled on MySpace.

Come on; ounces? Ounces?

On a short timeline most users put more than that up their nose/in their arm- and I mean guys who spang for a living.

Reminds me of that DEA tv show on one of those 'Mans Man' networks. They busted two Colombian immigrants with 1 kilo of blow and claimed it was 'a major victory against a ruthless cartel'.

Sounds more like some poor bastard made a bad decision trying to double his rent money.

I wonder what word is left for the actual top people running international drug smuggling/production? 'God'?

^
I think they might get "drug lord".

Funny they call this chick and Pablo Escobar by the same title, "kingpin".

On a short timeline most users put more than that up their nose/in their arm- and I mean guys who spang for a living.

Yeah this is right on. I have known people that have done an ounce by themselves in a day or two long binge. People fail to realize just how little coke a gram or an 8 ball is to balls to the wall coke fiends. 3.5 grams is nothing, that's an hour's fun for one or two people.

I wonder what word is left for the actual top people running international drug smuggling/production? 'God'?

No, I think there isn't really a word as far as media is concerned. Obviously this girl was no drug kingpin, but there's the word. The real kingpins we don't hear a word about, they have the sense and the power to keep their names out of the papers.

^^People she was probably involved a little more than they found. Seeing as she was a club promoter. And I hope you mean a g an hour unless your IVing. A friend and I have been known to have a ball last about 12-18hrs with some fishscale.

The worthless bf was just jealous of her entrepreneurial skills. Probably felt emasculated and got some friends to off her, fucking pathetic. I dont know her but from these articles I can almost smell the intoxicating scent of her power and salesmanly finesse. Mmmm, I bet she was a FREAK, indeedilly. A fine(assumingly) woman with connections deep in drug-drenched high society, I can imagine her seductive pull. Seems to be a masterful middleman, if anything...

Note: In the video, why dont we see them entering the apartment for the first time? Only them leaving once and then returning(or leaving) one by one, seemingly.

Last edited:
Those guys just killed her because they were jelious. They wondered how a small white girl could push more coke then they ever seen.

^
Apparently it was supposed to be a robbery. One of the tenants in her apartment building was seeing a drug dealer. One way or another, probably by running in the same scene, they were tipped off about her involvement with drugs. They planned on robbing her, and well, it turned into this.
Apparently when they got killed, a "distributor" was in her apartment. He could be seen leaving, right after they were killed, carrying duffel bags.

^ Apparently it was her BF/business partner and he was trying to regain his reputation, as well as save face. Seeing as she obviously was the more proficient business woman.