View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

There's No Urban-Rural Divide On One Thing: Drugs

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
07/28/2009

OregonLive

It's no surprise there is widespread use of illicit drugs in Oregon. Approximately one in every 10 Oregonians reports using illicit drugs each month, and more than 83,000 people suffer from drug abuse or dependence.

We know that over the past 15 years methamphetamine use has hit the entire state. And other serious drugs are all too common, based on data gathered through surveys, treatment and mortality rates.

The most recent regional study on the subject was conducted by scientists from Oregon State University, the University of Washington and McGill University. The team tested untreated wastewater from 96 Oregon wastewater treatment facilities located all over the state. Each municipality voluntarily participated and collected the samples on the same day. The study represents 65 percent of the state's population.

Methamphetamine and all the destruction it brings to families and communities remains the drug of choice for Oregonians. Measurable amounts showed up in 100% of the tests. No community was immune and there is no urban-rural divide. You are as likely to find methamphetamine in the wastewater in Hermiston as in Portland.

Cocaine was also found in 80 percent of the samples and ecstasy in nearly half. Both were primarily detected in larger urban areas like Eugene, Salem and Bend, but not exclusively. For example, wastewater in smaller municipalities such as Port Orford and Hermiston uncovered high levels of ecstasy, a psychedelic drug similar to methamphetamine.

As this study illustrates, drugs are no longer just a problem for the big cities. The smallest of towns are also struggling with addiction and the issue reaches beyond individuals, to the family, workplace and community. Untreated substance abuse costs Oregonians $5.93 billion every year.

This is a cost we can avoid. If we can catch people before they get addicted through prevention programs, we reap $10 in benefit for every dollar invested. That's a 10-to-one return.

In addition, addiction treatment programs offer similar cost savings. For every dollar invested in treatment; there are $7 of benefit to the community, largely due to reduced crime costs and increased employer earnings. Treatment and recovery support services are as effective as treatments for other diseases such as asthma or diabetes.

Please remember, addiction is a long-term illness, but treatment works. This recent study shows just how far Oregon has to go to both prevent and treat addictions and the accompanying social costs. The good news is, we know what works to help heal our communities and hopefully in the future we do a better job at passing the test.

If you or someone you know has a substance-abuse problem log onto here for intervention help and service referrals.

Karen Wheeler is administrator of addiction programs for the Oregon Department of Human Services.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/07/theres_no_urbanrural_divide_on.html

I'm personally not a fan of social engineering. Better to legalize and regulate..perhaps making treatment available to those who want it. If you spend your time "catching" people and forcing treatment, you've accomplished fascism.

This is a good article, however I disagree with some of the ideas brought up here. I disagree that meth "brings destruction"; it's actually people bringing destruction into their own lives using meth to facilitate the destruction.

A drug cannot "bring destruction", methamphetamine is not an individual, it's a substance. Methamphetamine is not like Saddam Hussein or Adolph Hitler, methamphetamine cannot bomb a city, methamphetamine cannot do this as if it were a human being.

People often like to forget about their individual responsibility and blame it on the drugs they use typically because they don't want to be accountable for anything. If it suddenly wasn't alcohol's fault you did (FILL IN THE FELONY ;)) and was your own fault, it would be more likely you would face jail time instead of pee tests.

It's a sad myth that treatment is effective, as well. If you consider decades of revolving door treatment and relapses 'effective', then sure. Longterm success rates (if by success we mean either abstinence from all drug use including maintenance drugs, or even if we mean on a maintenance drug without any other drugs used) are abysmal.

I'm personally not a fan of social engineering. Better to legalize and regulate..perhaps making treatment available to those who want it. If you spend your time "catching" people and forcing treatment, you've accomplished fascism.

I agree.

Plus, you can't force treatment on everyone. Not everyone "suffers" from the "horrible lifestyle" of drug use. Some people enjoy using, and nothing you can do will change their minds.

It's a sad myth that treatment is effective, as well. If you consider decades of revolving door treatment and relapses 'effective', then sure. Longterm success rates (if by success we mean either abstinence from all drug use including maintenance drugs, or even if we mean on a maintenance drug without any other drugs used) are abysmal.

I know right? A 25% success rate is nothing to write home about.

I'm just glad it's been over 9 months since I've touched heroin. I'm in that 25% and I'm going to stay in it.

........I'm just glad it's been over 9 months since I've touched heroin. I'm in that 25% and I'm going to stay in it.

Well done. I'm officially demoting you to Corporal.Heroin.

When you've reached the year mark, you'll get an honourable discharge!

Come on lad. You can do it =D=D=D

thanks man

Well done. I'm officially demoting you to Corporal.Heroin.

When you've reached the year mark, you'll get an honourable discharge!

Come on lad. You can do it =D=D=D
I can't wait until I get to the year mark as well.

I lol'd at your post. =D

I know right? A 25% success rate is nothing to write home about.

I'm just glad it's been over 9 months since I've touched heroin. I'm in that 25% and I'm going to stay in it.

Congratulations!!!!! :D

That is an amazing and truly inspirational achievement! The stats are even more abysmal than 25% I believe. 12 step groups are way less than 10% success for one year + of abstinence (some reports peg them at around 3%!!!). A local treatment facility in the city where I live report a 5% success rate for one year +. I am not disagreeing with you to be argumentative, but to put your achievement in perspective - what you have done is truly monumental and you should feel very proud.

A friend of mine was very seriously addicted to H in the '80s. (I believe he got pretty close to a gram a day near the end!) He is 18 years clean now. He has a great career, is married with two wonderfull children and has most of his mortgage paid off.

Keep going Captain! And thank you, I like and need to hear about success in recovery!

Opioid addicts have some of the best numbers in response to treatment- mainly because they are about the only group of substance abuse patients who have several treatments specifically designed for their drugs of choice. Maintenance (Methadone, Buprenorphine, Dihydrocodeine, etc) have about a 20-40% longterm success rate. This is the best for any treatment modality for any substance abuse disorder.

For opioid addicts in non-maintenance programs, and all other addicts and compulsive drug users (users of speed, coke, alcohol, etc) it is less than 10% success rate (10% or less succeed in their abstinence-only program, not many of this group maintain abstinence 6 months, 1 year, 2 years and so on after the end of the treatment).

I think the whole "drugs bring destruction" argument is purely analogous to the "guns kill people" argument. People kill people (using guns). People destroy things (using drugs). Objects don't do things.

isn't untreated wastewater like full of everything far and few in between, and treated is more pure than my soul?

I pretty much stopped reading here:
high levels of ecstasy, a psychedelic drug similar to methamphetamine.

That's like saying all organic chemicals are similar... technically they are I guess...

And how much are we talking about? If 10 people in a city of 10 million are doing meth, I'm not too worried...

That is an amazing and truly inspirational achievement! The stats are even more abysmal than 25% I believe. 12 step groups are way less than 10% success for one year + of abstinence (some reports peg them at around 3%!!!). A local treatment facility in the city where I live report a 5% success rate for one year +
!

Some studies in the 1950s that used LSD to treat alcoholism professed a 50% success rate,[39] five times higher than estimates near 10% for Alcoholics Anonymous.[40]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lsd

Why bother with treatment programs when we have acid!

think the whole "drugs bring destruction" argument is purely analogous to the "guns kill people" argument. People kill people (using guns). People destroy things (using drugs). Objects don't do things.

Perhaps (certain) chemicals make one act in a manner they otherwise would not?

I don't think it's a blame issue although I agree that no recovery is possible without taking responsibility for yourself and getting your act together.

Captain.H...congrats. Hope you hang in there. I'm still sturggling after already doing it once and relapsing after 12 years. Good luck on your journey....and never let your gaurd down, it ain't going away, just remission as I'm sure you are aware

If addiction is such a disease...
Then why can't we have 'I survived *insert DOC here* addiction' shirts

I don't even think it IS a disease, nobody chooses to have cancer, nobody chooses to be an addict.
But the rehab patient and cancer patient have one major difference, the addict can choose to get rid of the disease. The truth is, if you really wanted to stay clean, you could

Which is why I am a member of the 75% non-success

*resumes snorting lines*

If addiction is such a disease...
Then why can't we have 'I survived *insert DOC here* addiction' shirts

I don't even think it IS a disease, nobody chooses to have cancer, nobody chooses to be an addict.
But the rehab patient and cancer patient have one major difference, the addict can choose to get rid of the disease. The truth is, if you really wanted to stay clean, you could

Which is why I am a member of the 75% non-success

*resumes snorting lines*

This is a complete fallacy. Addiction is not a curable illness.

that is the real myth here, and always has been. Since the beginning of the 20th century, every kind of compulsive substance abuse disorder has been treated a million different ways- and the best results (coming from opioid addicts maintained on an opioid drug, Methadone, Diamorphine, Buprenorphine, etc) are less than 50%- and thats while maintained.

It is a complete falsehood that addiction is somehow 'curable'.

Sure, it's 'curable' in the same way OCD is 'curable'. Now if only we could just make the person stop doing it, they'd be cured! Right?

Hence talk of mandatory Naltrexone injections/implants coming from people who still believe addiction isn't a disease but a weakness of character. Makes me feel filthy thinking about such people.

Good for you Captain Heroin! I'm about 10 months clean from Heroin myself, and never been happier. It was a pretty miserable (luckily short lived) experience for me that I want nothing to do with.

I'm a true believer that it's all in your head, and you can think yourself out of anything as long as you keep yourself in the right situations and eat properly etc. However, this is based on my experiences, and I will say that I have friends in AA that I would consider true "addicts". If it isn't coke/alcohol for them, it's potato chips, or their career, or whatever else. Though generally they are happier not using. Also AA meetings seem to be quite addictive for many.

As far as that LSD treatment goes, I would believe it does work. I can't try that out because I'm too worried about having a mental breakdown off such an intense thing.

Ibogaine anyone?

And how much are we talking about? If 10 people in a city of 10 million are doing meth, I'm not too worried...

I actually know a lot of people that have lived or do live in various cities in Oregon. Some of them were BIG into meth, and then some of them were shooting heroin when they were 14. They all have turned out just fine though, but there is actually a lot of meth/heroin going on for sure.

This is a complete fallacy. Addiction is not a curable illness.

Exactly, addiction is a manageable disease, just like any other mental health disability. You don't give someone who is bipolar one pill and suddenly they are cured, it's a treatment that must be maintained for the rest of their life. Even if someone with depression or bipolar or OCD eventually do get to a point where they can function effectively in society, there is always the predisposition to fall back into the same state they were in if regular health evaluations (whether it be a self-evaluation or with other help) are not constantly being performed in their daily upkeep. And just like with *illicit drugs, there is always other treatments than *maintenance drugs.

Last edited: