• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

5 Charged With TennCare Fraud In Washington County, TN (Suboxone/OC)

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
TriCities.com

7/17/2009

Five people are charged with TennCare drug fraud in a Washington County investigation. The Office of Inspector General (OIG), working with the Washington and Unicoi County Sheriff’s Offices today announced the arrests:

Male, 27, of Unicoi, charged with one count of TennCare fraud for allegedly using TennCare medical benefits to obtain a prescription for the painkiller oxycontin, concealing the fact that he planned to sell a portion of the prescription.

Female, 38, of Unicoi, charged with one count of TennCare fraud. Hampton is accused of replacing prescription painkillers belonging to someone else with another medication. The pills, which were hydrocodone, had also been paid for by the other person’s TennCare benefits. The indictment says Hampton planned to sell the drugs.

Male, 23, of Unicoi, charged with one count of TennCare fraud. Rice is accused of filling a prescription at a pharmacy in Johnson City for subutex, a narcotic medication that is similar to morphine, codeine, and heroin. TennCare was used to pay for the drugs, some of which were later sold to an undercover agent.

Female, 26, of Jonesborough, charged with one count of TennCare fraud, Female used TennCare to pay for a prescription for suboxone, a narcotic similar to morphine, codeine and heroin that is sometimes used to treat addiction to those drugs. Charges say Female concealed the fact that she planned to sell a portion of the drug.

Male, 31, of Jonesborough, charged with one count of TennCare fraud. Male is accused of filling a prescription for the narcotic suboxone, using TennCare to pay for the prescription and concealing the fact he planned to sell a portion of the drug.

“We’re extremely grateful to local law enforcement officials who work with us in the war against TennCare fraud,“ Inspector General Deborah Faulkner said. “By pooling resources with local officials, we are all covering much more ground and making more progress in tackling the drug fraud problem, especially when people try to use public dollars to finance it.“

TennCare fraud is a Class E felony carrying a sentence of up to two years in prison. District Attorney General Anthony Clark will be prosecuting.

The OIG, which is separate from TennCare, began full operation in February 2005 and has investigated cases leading to over $2.6 million paid in restitution and recoupment to TennCare, with a total estimated cost avoidance of over $165 million for the TennCare program, according to latest figures. To date, over 920 people have been charged with TennCare fraud.

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/..._with_tenn_care_fraud_in_washington_co/29040/

Last edited:
I recommended using state sponsored health benefit programs (like this one in Tennessee) for opioid addicts who cannot afford Methadone or Buprenorphine. I posted some information and links in the Suboxone Megathread in Other Drugs. Personally I'm on my states program, and it pays for Methadone clinic costs, which is a huge help.

I had no idea it was considered fraud (on top of distribution of a Controlled Dangerous Substance) to use such a state program to pay for your medication, and then sell some of it illegally. It makes sense, but I had never thought about it this way before.

In case anyone else out there is like me and receiving state benefits to pay for addiction treatment programs, keep this case in mind when thinking about the consequences of getting busted.

I had no idea it was considered fraud (on top of distribution of a Controlled Dangerous Substance) to use such a state program to pay for your medication, and then sell some of it illegally. It makes sense, but I had never thought about it this way before.

Oh yeah they hit you with everything they can. Thats why 'conspiracy to" blah blah blah was created.... for da's, and overzealous drug task officers to take advantage of people without good legal representation. They know that without a bomb lawyer they're lies will win in court unless the jugde is a fucking erowid supporter. LOL good luckkkk to those 5, they are fucked.

Does anyone know if there are state sponsored suboxone programs for people without a job or steady income available in NC?

Does anyone know if there are state sponsored suboxone programs for people without a job or steady income available in NC?

Probably. One quick fix solution is the patient assistance program offered by Reckitt-Benckiser Pharmaceuticals. If you apply and are accepted (this has looser requirements than most state health plans), you will get one months supply of Suboxone free.

Here is a description and link:

RECKITT BENCKISER
Patient Assistance Program
Patient assistance programs (PAPs) are programs created by drug companies, such as RECKITT BENCKISER, to offer free or low cost drugs to individuals who are unable to pay for their medication. These Programs may also be called indigent drug programs, charitable drug programs or medication assistance programs. Most of the best known and most prescribed drugs can be found in these programs. All of the major drug companies have patient assistance programs, although every company has different eligibility and application requirements.

The RECKITT BENCKISER patient assistance program offers free medication to people who otherwise cannot afford their medications. Patients must meet financial and other program specific criteria to be eligible for assistance.

To find out how to apply for medication assistance from the RECKITT BENCKISER patient assistance program, visit our Patient Center and use our Database to search for the medication needed.

For a complete listing of RECKITT BENCKISER medications available through their patient assistance programs, see below:

Suboxone Patient Assistance Program
The medications available through this program are:
Suboxone (buprenorphine hcl)

Suboxone Patient Assistance Program, a patient assistance program provided by Reckitt Benckiser, offers a month long supply of Suboxone at no cost to those who are eligible for the program. Eligibility is based off of the following requirements:

- You must not be covered by private or public health insurance.

- You must have an annual income less than or equal to: $25,000 for an individual, $34,500 for a family consisting of two members, and $43,000 for a family consisting of three members.

- You must be at least sixteen years of age.

The medication must be sent to the physicians office.

Those eligible for Medicare Part D but not enrolled may still be eligible.

And the link to apply for the program:

http://www.rxassist.org/pap-info/company_detail.cfm?CmpId=173

Here is a government website listing the various benefits/assistance programs offered by the state of NC, you click the box next to the program you want and click 'Determine Eligibility' and fill out your information to see if you qualify.

In this case, you would want to check 'NC Medicaid Program'. It appears this is the only state insurance / health benefits program I could find for NC. However, there is a decent chance you could get your Buprenorphine covered if you determine your eligibility, then call a 1-800 number and simply ask if you were to enroll in this program, if Medicaid would cover any of you doctor visits and/or prescription costs related to the Suboxone program.

http://www.govbenefits.gov/govbenef...l=gbcc_page_locate_state&_nfls=false&_code=NC

Here is the website for the North Carolina Department Of Health And Human Services (NC DHHS):

http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/

There is a little more information there about NC Medicaid.

Here is a link for NC Carelink- it contains all of the services available to NC residents.

https://www.nccarelink.gov/

Hope that helps.

In case anyone else out there is like me and receiving state benefits to pay for addiction treatment programs, keep this case in mind when thinking about the consequences of getting busted.
what happens if you are in a treatment program and end up in jail? do they have any obligation to give you prescribed medications? what if one of your medications is a benzo and you could die from w/d, or one of your medications is methadone from a clinic and you're in for some quite painful w/d, or you require insulin?

Fuck man. Washington county, TN is basically where i live. I can go to the top of my mountain and spit on the TN, VA state line, and Washington county is just inside the TN border.

Prescription fraud is not common, but not really unheard of around here. A few years back there were so many people ordering prescriptions off the internet, that after legislation was passed (i believe) the websites selling lortabs and valium and all that good stuff specifically stated that they could not sell to washington county, va, and a couple citys close by.

Subs are so easy to get why would you try and sell them to just anyone though? I mean to sell it to a undercover cop you must be like trying to slang shit to just anyone in a drug infested area, ya know?

Subs are so easy to get why would you try and sell them to just anyone though? I mean to sell it to a undercover cop you must be like trying to slang shit to just anyone in a drug infested area, ya know?

That's exactly how it's done in many places. In the Baltimore Sun, there was a big Suboxone piece awhile back, in which they described one guy driving up and down one street known for open air Heroin/Crack markets yelling "Suboxone!" out his window, pulling over to sell to anyone who flagged him down. The black market is huge and very lucrative. In many European and Asian countries, Bupe is a primary drug of abuse (ahead of Heroin in many places) due to the cheap cost. In the US/Europe, Suboxone/Subutex are usually bought at a high markup by Heroin/opioid addicts who don't wish to go into treatment, but want access for dry spells or periods without money.

dude I totally agree with you. you took the words right out of my fingers..lol i was just about to write that.

Like what a bum. I only ever sold to people I really know. Or friend of people I really trust.

what an idiot.

Yes I am _______ and my spouse is ________ and the only reason I am on here is to set the record straight this was the biggest bunch of crap I have ever been through in my life. My husband had problems with the arresting officer in high school I dont know if that is why he done what he done or not. But bottom line we were found innocent all this was bull. Now web sites like this that has nothing else better to do then try to ruin peoples names I understand reporting the news but if they are going to mess with some ones name they should have to follow and report the out come. WE WERE AND FOUND INNOCENT!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer that you take this posting down. If you want check the court records check it but mine and my spouse name needs to be removed from this asap Thanks

^you got it

Now web sites like this that has nothing else better to do then try to ruin peoples names

If you're referring to this board, that is not what we do. We are a drug harm-reduction board and this forum simply exists to provide a space for commentary on coverage of drugs in the news media. Hopefully this thread raised awareness about the vicissitudes of law enforcement.

By the way, your names remain on a Tennessee government website.

rofl.

people get locked up constantly for this shit.

alot of people hang paper (write forged prescription) and use someone who has TennCare unknowingly and catch tons of time for it. they dont take TennCare fraud lightly and alot of them time it will be the only charge that will stick unless the actual person running the ring (most likely what these people did) picked up the scripts themselves.

if you get deep into hanging paper the only thing you can do is control and write the scripts. have a long list of TennCare recipeints (TennCare proivdes FREE medication to those who qualify so if you write 4 scripts a day you getting 60-90 pills a script for fucking free. just have 4 people run in and get the script and give them $100 never go in and get it yourself. also never write over 120 count and dont ever write anything stronger than loratab or xanax. script fraud and TennCare fraud is an easy 5 years...3 years good time.

did this shit for a good 2 years when i was 19-21 good money but one fucked up lifestyle.

sorry for the long post

Yes I am _______ and my spouse is ________ and the only reason I am on here is to set the record straight this was the biggest bunch of crap I have ever been through in my life. My husband had problems with the arresting officer in high school I dont know if that is why he done what he done or not. But bottom line we were found innocent all this was bull. Now web sites like this that has nothing else better to do then try to ruin peoples names I understand reporting the news but if they are going to mess with some ones name they should have to follow and report the out come. WE WERE AND FOUND INNOCENT!!!!

No need to get all upset, i'm sure no one cares about what happened anyways so i wouldn't worry too much.

Hey aaa123 do you mind sharing your story with us? How did the cops try and screw you and how did you get off? Was there a trial or did DA drop charges? All that good stuff is helpful to spread awarness about the very real problem of police corruption. thanks

My state of tn has rampant 'script drug abuse. Idk what it is about the south. Maybe lack of access to H.