• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 26.7.09 - Home and Away's culture of cocaine, sex

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Home and Away's culture of cocaine, sex

The Sunday Telegraph

July 26, 2009 12:01am

0,,6754251,00.jpg

FORMER Home And Away actor Bryan Wiseman tells The Sunday Telegraph that the recent Jodi Gordon and Lincoln Lewis scandals are but a hint of the cast's behind-the-scenes party culture.

I'm surprised the stories of sex, drugs and alcohol abuse haven't gotten out earlier.

Drugs are common. A lot of people do it, apart from the older cast like Ray Meagher (Alf Stewart).

Generally speaking, the younger cast members come in, they like the lifestyle and they have drugs offered to them.

I'd go to parties and nightclubs, and I didn't ever have to pay for it. It was offered to me.

I got addicted to it (cocaine), and it was very, very hard to come off the stuff.

It's a part of the culture and, especially if you're a younger cast member, you get caught up in it.

There are no role models. If they're in a series and suddenly shoot to fame, they're on the cover of TV Week. It's very easy to get caught up in all of that.

These guys don't realise they may come out of the show and never work again.

It's commonplace in the green rooms. Some of the kids would turn up, they hadn't been to bed all night, they didn't know their lines.

I'd like a dollar for every time I'd go in there and an actor would have a script beside them, checking their lines between takes and we'd all have to cover their scenes.

They'd say, 'I went out last night, had a few snorts, racked up, took some pingers, pills, that sort of stuff.' It was talked about very, very openly.

And some of them would turn up on the set with it still in their system. Because some hadn't been to bed, to keep themselves awake they'd do a few more snorts of cocaine to get them through the day.

It was well known that if you want a good performance in that instance, you'd have a few lines. It was extremely common.

I'm surprised this hasn't come to light earlier because I've partied with a lot of people over the years and the things we used to get up to, if a photo was taken, it would have been splashed everywhere. But I guess it is a common law that you don't speak about it.

I've been to the Logies a few times, and everyone gets trashed. There's a lot of drugs that goes on there, especially in the toilets.

Then, when actors or celebrities are found in the gutter, nearly comatose, and one of the paps takes a shot, TV networks actually pay a lot of money to take the photos and do away with them to cover it up.

I think that's why it hasn't come out until now. If any scandal breaks out, they need to do their best to nip it in the bud. They're just trying to protect their show.

It's a big business for them.

My advice for parents is to keep a stern eye on their kids on the show because it's very easy for them to get caught up in it.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25836400-10229,00.html

Not surprising in the least really. It is the same with elite sportsmen and celebrities they live that more glamorous lifestyle and cocaine is basically a status symbol.

Yeah this isn't surprising or particularly newsworthy. Rich and famous people like to take drugs and party.

Too much time n fukn money they have and dont know what else to do.

"Drugs are common. A lot of people do it, apart from the older cast like Ray Meagher (Alf Stewart)."

Can you imagine alf stewart on coke. "Struth! This rack is good. I'm off my rocker like a flaming mongrel"

If Channel 7 wants to get in contact with me I will happily get involved in a job that is linked to doing lots of drugs and banging my hot co-stars.

Actors & their lines. :\

Those Home & Away kids are tarnishing an entire industry with their reckless and wild behaviour.

Does anyone else find the mental image of Alf Stewart smoking a spliff to be a touch overbearing???

lol thats awesome. Not suprising at all but...
Its just funny to hear 90% of cast member on that show are all on the gear. I used to watch that show religiously but for the past 2 or 3 years I just dont watch it anymore. Only every now and then I will sit down and watch it and the show has changed so much. Its seriously turned into a show about teenage sex, drugs, alcohol and crime.

Like this past month or two I have seen a handful of episodes and I couldnt believe I saw an episode of a kid selling drugs (pills i think it was) at his school, another one with armed robbery (few of these actually), guy doing illegal business with fishing on his boat selling Abalone, Irene being an abusive binge drinker on the Gin and shit about sex and pregnancy. The list goes on but thats all I can think of.

Just funny how its seriously not the show it used to be. They'll have to start increasing the rating for it - to the point where its on at 8:30 at night lol. Anyone agree?

Ahh the feeling of nostalgia :) The new characters just don't do it for me, what will happen when old mate Alf dies <3 =D !

Like this past month or two I have seen a handful of episodes and I couldnt believe I saw an episode of a kid selling drugs (pills i think it was) at his school, another one with armed robbery (few of these actually), guy doing illegal business with fishing on his boat selling Abalone, Irene being an abusive binge drinker on the Gin and shit about sex and pregnancy. The list goes on but thats all I can think of.

Guess they have to keep ramping it up to keep it interesting. They can only do so many weddings/funerals/breakups/scandals before it gets old hat. Makes you wonder what they'll be up to in 10 years time.

Guess they have to keep ramping it up to keep it interesting. They can only do so many weddings/funerals/breakups/scandals before it gets old hat. Makes you wonder what they'll be up to in 10 years time.

My guess will be that "Home and Away" wont exist in 10 years time :p

I wouldn't hold my breath for a cancellation, it's been what 20 years now? 30?

Yeah exactly, I mean if they can last this long than thats a fucken miracle. Its the same with that Neighbours shit (sorry but Neighbours sucks) lol and they are still running to this day.

How in the hell do they think of a different episode for 5 nights in a row every week? Makes you wonder just how much drugs they are doing to come up with all this stuff :p

^ Home and Away will be coming up for 20 years, if it hasn't reached it already. Neighbours is just a few years older. I don't think they broach the drugs plot line in Neighbours, mainly lesbian kisses, teen/surrogate pregnancies, accidents etc.

Can you imagine alf stewart on coke. "Struth! This rack is good. I'm off my rocker like a flaming mongrel"
Now that would be funny. Wonder if he'd also say "I'm as toey as a Roman sandle!" or start to hallucinate thinking he was with Ailsa Stewart again....

*yes I admit to watching that show in my early years*

Well most of it's just recycled stuff. The big wedding, the dramatic breakup, the tragic death at the end of the season, they just cycle it to keep it interesting.

I don't know anyone who actually sits down and watches it religiously every night, seems like it's just an occasional timekiller or 'cbf turning the TV off' for most.