Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New York Man Wins Settlement In Forced Body Cavity Search Suit

Tchort

Bluelight Crew
StopTheDrugWar.org

Drug War Chronicle

07/24/2009

New York's Albany County and Albany Medical Center Hospital will pay $125,000 to a New York man who was first strip-searched and then hospitalized and sedated against his will while hospital employees at police direction inserted a camera in his rectum in search of contraband. That is according to the out of court settlement agreed to over the weekend to end a federal lawsuit brought by the victim.

The victim, Tunde Clement, was arrested at the Albany bus terminal in March 2006 when he stepped off a bus from New York City. Sheriff's investigators suspected the ex-convict was carrying drugs, but found none in his backpack. He was then handcuffed, taken to the police station, and strip-searched. Again, no drugs were found. Then police took him to Albany Med, where doctors forcibly sedated him against his will.

While under sedation, doctors inserted a camera in his rectum and scanned his digestive system with X-rays. They also induced vomiting and took blood and urine samples to test for drugs and alcohol. They found nothing. After 10 hours in custody, Clement was charged with resisting arrest and released on his own recognizance. An Albany judge later threw out that charge.

Sheriff's investigators never obtained a search warrant for the procedure, nor did hospital officials require them to produce one. Normally, people under arrest cannot be forcibly sedated without a court order unless they are in imminent danger. Although hospital records indicate Clement was behaving normally and showed no signs of any medical emergency, hospital officials and police considered their desire to search his body "a medical emergency."

Clement subsequently filed a federal lawsuit against Albany Med and several doctors and nurses and against Albany County, Sheriff James Campbell, Inspector John Burke, who heads the dope squad that arrested Clement, and eight investigators assigned to the unit. He claimed his civil rights were violated and that he was the victim of assault and battery when officials and doctors strapped him down and injected him with sedatives against his will.

Now, the county and the medical center will pay for their misdeeds. Or, more precisely, local taxpayers will. Perhaps that will inspire local taxpayers to demand that law enforcement shape up and that medical personnel not be willing accessories to abusive law enforcement practices.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/595/tunde_clement_lawsuit_forced_sedation_and_cavity_search

Yea, it's good that he won his case but it's shit that, as you said, those who did the wrongdoing didn't pay from their own pockets :|

That is so fucked what they did to him, and then on top of it have the gall to charge him with resisting arrest. Dirty faggot pigs!

That money should come out of the police and hospital workers involveds pockets and nowhere else. I wonder if the people responsible are even going to face disciplinary action?

he only got $125,000? I would have been looking for 7 figures for that

^ Probably because they're fucking cunt pigs. Reminds me of the recent story when they arrested the prominent black Harvard professor in his own home when he produced ID for breaking into his own house when he locked himself in his house. They can do whatever the fuck they want to people with impunity.

Sweet, free colon cancer screening!!8)

Jeez, how far up an ass can drugs be?

Do you think he tasted the camera? ~~

What the fuck kind of totalitarian police state has America become! Put those fascist cops in prison and have them pay another cash settlement to the victim with their forced labor. Twenty years ought to do it.

It sounds like the m.o. for US sponsored Extraordinary Rendition- picked up, bound, sedated, enema'd and thrown on a plane to a country that allows torture.

In this case, well, just remove the plane part :)

I can't believe this was even possible, police can do anything they want if they suspect you have DRUGS. Why would the medical staff go along with this?

Actually here, find another source http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/25/175716/498

How about he still had to pay the medical bill, and the cops think they did nothing wrong, fucking corrupt assholes, I hope somebody shoots them.

And he still gets charged with resisting arrest? I would of resisted arrest to if I didn't do shit, or even if I did have drugs.

I might be wrong here but...

My professor of my civil liberties class was telling us about a case he did where police illegally searched some people and they sued and what not. They got a settlement, however (I was not aware of this, and am not sure this is how it goes for the rest of the country), counties are required to get insurance, which pays for these settlements. SO ya, tax payers pay for the insurance, but the insurance companies pay the actual settlement.

I can't believe this was even possible, police can do anything they want if they suspect you have DRUGS. Why would the medical staff go along with this?

Actually here, find another source http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/25/175716/498

How about he still had to pay the medical bill, and the cops think they did nothing wrong, fucking corrupt assholes, I hope somebody shoots them.

And he still gets charged with resisting arrest? I would of resisted arrest to if I didn't do shit, or even if I did have drugs.

Ya I was thinking the same thing, and thats why I think that although the cops didn't have to pay with their money from the settlement, they are still going to "pay".

They got hospital workers involved in their bullshit, I think that the higher ups in the police department might be giving them hell for their stupidity.

Sure they probably would have commended them had they found drugs, but since they didn't and since they had the police's "good" name dragged through court and lost, it's the opposite.