Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS 23.07.2009 WA - No more drug bins: police

Juvenile

Bluelighter
No more drug bins: police
Posted 2 hours 10 minutes ago

The bins were introduced after a girl died of a drug overdose at Perth's Big Day Out 2009 festival. (ABC)

Map: Perth 6000
Senior police in Perth say they no longer want to provide drug bins at festivals and rock concerts.

Police began trialing drug bins earlier this year, to allow people to dispose of illicit drugs before entering a venue.

The move came after the death of a teenage girl who swallowed drugs she was carrying when she noticed police dogs searching people outside a concert.

The Police Commissioner, Karl O'Callaghan, says the bins tie up a lot of police resources.

"What we found is that the drug bins weren't used very much", he said.

"There were very, very few drugs in them, in fact less than a handful over the entire summer and we're recommending at this stage that we don't continue with the trial next summer".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/07/23/2634771.htm

Hahahaahah epic fail. Did they even need to implement it to realise it wasn't going to work. Silly piggies.

Seeing as how sniffer dogs are here to stay in perth, I'd have though it would be better to keep the bins at big events.

Perhaps they decided to make up some bullshit excuse for not using the bins as they are going to use the dogs on the streets and in clubs, both of which are not suitable for drug bins.

Can I voluanteer to work as a mobile drug bin? You can dispose of them in my mouth and nose :D

well thank god they thought to can that rubbish idea.

literally & metaphorically speaking.

This is really terrible. Regardless of the amount of drugs found in the bins - the fact is, there were drugs there. leaving a few jacks with dogs stationed nearby probably turned alot of people off bringing drugs into the venue, thus why they had found alot less on people.

Doesn't really mean the people didn't leave the drugs in their cars though. or take them before entering.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these drug bins were nothing more than a sneaky way to try and remove the blame from police/sniffer dogs for that girl who died.

It is a pretty good plan actually, set up bins but patrol them with cops so nobody uses them and then after a few months they can say that it made no difference and it was all her fault.

The police only introduced these bins because they felt guilty about that Gemma girl ..

now its been many months later and everyones forgot about her ... well some of us ..

What shits me is where is this coroners report ??

And what about this 60 mins story ??

seems when someone dies its big news and theres alot of talking but no real action ..

same ol bullshit ...

I have a sneaking suspicion that these drug bins were nothing more than a sneaky way to try and remove the blame from police/sniffer dogs for that girl who died.

It is a pretty good plan actually, set up bins but patrol them with cops so nobody uses them and then after a few months they can say that it made no difference and it was all her fault.

Where is the personal responsibility?

Police scrap concert drug bins
24th July 2009, 6:00 WST

Drug disposal bins outside concerts would be scrapped after a trial found they were ineffective and a waste of resources, Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said yesterday.

Introduced after the death of Kalamunda teenager Gemma Thoms, who collapsed at the Big Day Out festival in February after taking several ecstasy tablets, the amnesty bins allowed people to discard drugs without penalty before entering a concert.

But Mr O’Callaghan said few illicit drugs were dumped in the bins outside the Rock It, V and Trance Energy festivals and paramedics had not seen a fall in the number of drug-affected concert-goers needing treatment.

“We thought we would give it a go as a preventative strategy but we know that it really hasn’t made much difference to the number of drug charges or the number of presentations to St John Ambulance at these concerts,” Mr O’Callaghan said.

He said managing the bins was not a good use of police resources.

Only five ecstasy, one dexamphetamine and five diazepam tablets and 0.5g of cannabis were left in the bins after the three concerts.

Other revellers treated the bins as a joke, dumping laxatives, headache tablets and packets of flour, gelatine and baking powder.

Police and sniffer dogs caught 21 people with drugs at the Rock It and Trance Energy festivals despite the presence of amnesty bins.

WA Youth Affairs Council executive officer Lisa Laschon said young people had supported the use of the bins and the council was disappointed they would be scrapped.

“We saw it from the perspective of educating young people and giving them choices,” she said.

“We thought it was positive for police to send a message that they’d be willing to prevent rather than prosecute.”

Mr O’Callaghan said under the Misuse of Drugs Act, only police were allowed to handle any illicit drugs left in the bins.

He said if organisations such as the Youth Affairs Council or the Drug and Alcohol Office wanted to manage the bins, he could talk to the Government about changing laws to allow it.

But the idea is unlikely to get the Government’s support. In March, Premier Colin Barnett criticised the trial, saying harm minimisation had been a failure. Mr Barnett said the message should be clear that people should not use drugs or take them to public events.

Acting Premier Kim Hames reiterated yesterday that the Government believed the use of bins sent the wrong message to the community.

Mr O’Callaghan said police would still use sniffer dogs to detect drugs at music festivals.

GABRIELLE KNOWLES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=157560

and look at what was said in march 09 -->

Police say drug bin trial 'satisfactory'

Fleur Bainger

March 09, 2009 03:00pm

DRUG bins are likely to become a regular feature at Perth's music festivals, despite being used by only a handful of revellers at yesterday's Rock-It festival.
Commander for the Metropolitan Region, Brian Cunningham, described the initiative as “satisfactory” after only 10 arrests were made for drug related offenses. Sniffer dogs stopped 164 people but the majority were released.

Read Rock-It concert review Read Rock-It concert review

Commander Cunningham wouldn’t reveal the quantity of drugs that was collected in the bins, describing the haul as “a small amount” including ecstasy, cannabis and dexamphetamine.

A number of bright blue wheelie bins were placed at the concert entry gates to encourage drug disposal without consequences, after the death of Kalamunda teenager Gemma Thoms, who overdosed on three ecstasy tablets at the Big Day Out in February.

Gemma swallowed the tablets while waiting in the queue to avoid detection by sniffer dogs.

The bins were criticised for their prominent placement at the concert entrance, in full view of officers and sniffer dogs, who were only 20 metres away.

Commander Cunningham denied officers were watching the bins, but said that Sunday’s trial was the first of three, and that it was likely changes would be made.

“We haven’t got it right, this is something new,” he said.

He said police would be evaluating bin location, colour and even the presence of sniffer dogs. “There are a number of tactics we can use in the future.”

He said there was no evidence people were taking drugs in the queue but said there were people who had taken drugs prior to arriving at the event, and others who took drugs during the concert.

The bins will be used again at the V festival, to be held at the Claremont Showgrounds on April 5. Police would not reveal which concerts would be targeted in the future.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25160908-2761,00.html

Damien I never said it was totally the coppers fault, but it was a huge contributing factor to her death. That is the only reason that they even bothered trialling this and now they have scrapped it and called it a waste of time it makes it look as though the death couldn't have been prevented anyway.

I believe in taking responsibility for your actions but if you have the choice of getting a criminal record or swallowing a few pills and hoping for the best its not great choices. I am not saying she made the smartest choice but I empathize a lot more with her than someone who just ate a handful of pills to see how trashed they could get and OD'd.

You've forgotten the choice to drop the pill on the ground or bring it back to the car or whatever. But I hear what you're saying. I just think that at a certain point there is just a reality to a situation that needs to be acknowledged. Of course we want change and we want things to be legal but when you're in line about to enter a concert I'm sure most people are sure that those things aren't going to change in the next five minutes.

Regardless, you're right, it is a sad situation. Hopefully this failure will be another clue to the powers that be that people aren't going to give up on drugs so we might as well make the best of the situation.

Where is the personal responsibility?

no shit, I don't think that she had to die but if she was stupid enough to take large amounts of ecstasy and "hope for the best" well, its definitely her fault, the cops didn't force her to take the pills, (although they did tighten her options) she could have easily dropped one or two onto the ground, or better yet found some other concert goers who would have liked the ecstasy

on a different note, I don't know to much about ecstasy but it doesn't sound normal to OD on 3 pills, they would have had to be pretty high strength right?

When a government policy results in an increase in dangerous drug taking behaviors then id say its a flawed and failed policy. Any other job where a policy resulted in an increased danger the the public and resulted in death someone would be going to jail for negligence.

But its ok for the police, there above the law and seem to sleep with a clean mind knowing it was only a drug user who died....barsteds.

I knew this was gonna happen. Most people aren't gonna throw away their hard earned money they used to buy those pills, they'll just find ingenious ways of hiding them.

no shit, I don't think that she had to die but if she was stupid enough to take large amounts of ecstasy and "hope for the best" well, its definitely her fault, the cops didn't force her to take the pills, (although they did tighten her options) she could have easily dropped one or two onto the ground, or better yet found some other concert goers who would have liked the ecstasy

on a different note, I don't know to much about ecstasy but it doesn't sound normal to OD on 3 pills, they would have had to be pretty high strength right?

or the active ingredient or cutting agent was lethal in small doses

Edit: Also she probably would have been really panicked and already have had a high heart rate etc, probably not the best state of mind to be dropping pills in

Well, if they did something constructive with the contents, such as analyze and release the info to the public, I'd bet anything they would have been used more. Incidentally, at least one other state I know of employs something similar to amnesty bins, only they are kept out of sight and mainly used by police, medics and other workers who happen to come across such things.

Fuck the po-lice

A hand ful of pills offered up and no chance of them doing anything useful with them anyway.

pffft

Nice gesture after the poor girl who apparently swallowed the stash before a festival but totally failed in application.

When 3 media stations cameras and 20 police are watching what would you do?