Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Man sniffing gasoline bursts into flames after being Tasered

Huaca

Greenlighter
Man sniffing gasoline bursts into flames after being Tasered, say cops
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
NY Daily News
Tuesday, July 21st 2009, 10:25 AM

Sydney - A man whose relatives say had been sniffing gasoline burst into flames after a police officer Tasered him as he ran at officials carrying a container of fuel, police said Tuesday.

The man, identified by his family as 36-year-old Ronald Mitchell, was in critical condition at a Perth hospital in Western Australia state following Monday's incident in Warburton, an Aboriginal community 950 miles (1,540 kilometers) northeast of Perth.

Western Australia police said they were responding to a complaint at a house when Mitchell ran outside carrying a cigarette lighter and a large plastic bottle containing what they believe was fuel. When he refused to stop running toward them, one officer Tasered him, police said in a statement.

The man was immediately engulfed in flames. The officer threw him to the ground and smothered the blaze with his hands, the statement said. Mitchell was charged with assault to prevent arrest and possession of a sniffing substance.

An 18-year-old woman threw rocks at the officer as he tried to help, and he was later treated for a cut on his head and burns to his hands, police said.

The woman was charged with two counts of assaulting an officer, police Sgt. Graham Clifford said. Two others at the house were charged with possessing a sniffing substance.

Mitchell's sister, Morinda West, told The Australian newspaper that her brother had been sniffing gasoline and that when he ran out of the house he was carrying a lighter and an orange juice container full of gasoline.

Police spokeswoman Susan Usher said Mitchell appeared to have received third-degree burns to about ten percent of his body.

Western Australia Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan defended the officer's actions on Tuesday, calling Mitchell a known gasoline sniffer and violent offender.

"The police officers were concerned that they were going to be burnt so they deployed a Taser," O'Callaghan told reporters in Perth. "The only other choice they would have had is to use a police-issue firearm and the circumstances would almost certainly have been far more grave."

O'Callaghan also said that while Mitchell did burst into flames after the Taser was deployed, it wasn't immediately clear if the stun gun actually sparked the fire.

"There is a very strong possibility the fire was caused by the lighter in the hand of the offender," he said.

The officer who Tasered Mitchell was not suspended, Clifford said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_...into_flames_after_being_tasered_say_cops.html

Gasoline is one drug I would never use. How did the cops know there was gasoline in the orange juice container?

LOL BEST ARTICLE EVER!! Dare i say this is god's way of saying "If your dumb enough to try and sniff gasoline im going to get you in the interest of harm reduction!"

"What were you doing? Sucking Robocop's dick?" - Eastbound & Down

Hilarious article.

The cops knew he had gasoline cuz someone who called them told them or the guy was yelling "I got gasoline and a lighter, I'm gonna burn u guys"

Two others at the house were charged with possessing a sniffing substance.

i didnt no gasoline was illegal

The cops knew he had gasoline cuz someone who called them told them or the guy was yelling "I got gasoline and a lighter, I'm gonna burn u guys"

The ociffer in question was obviously unfamiliar with chemistry, namely:
Fuel + Spark = Fire.. I mean for fuck's sake man, cave men discovered fire!!! =D
Very funny, though quite tragic.

I'm surprised so many people are making light of the situation. Inhalant abuse is extremely common in aboriginal communities in Austrailia and on Native American reservations in the US. Anyone who has seen an adult, lifelong inhalant abuser up close wouldn't laugh about this. Institutional poverty and institutional racism are probably the most abhorrent inventions of man, a man whose led a life like his is reduced to this by the power that those police represent and sustain.

One of the most disturbing things I've read in a long time. Sickening.

I don't think people are laughing for the reason of the deceased inhaling Gasoline (I certainly wasn't), but at the idiotic idea of a cop to use a taser on the poor bloke.
Inhalant abuse is a very sad and tragic affair :\

An 18-year-old woman threw rocks at the officer as he tried to help, and he was later treated for a cut on his head and burns to his hands, police said.
lolisreal

I was laughing at the eastbound and down episode where kenny's pal is huffing silver paint.

This is clearly tragic. Thought I'd clarify for anyone I may have offended.

Ya what a stupid fucking cop granted the guy on gas wasent smart either. Thats a time when shooting him in the leg might have been a better idea. Or shoulder or whatever. Granted if i see a guy with a gas can and lighter coming at me in gonna shoot and just make sure i don't hit the gas.

It's the same in canada inhalent abuse is epidemic amoung native people. I thought it was only centered in certain areas and amoung people who can't afford drugs (i saw abit of it in certain cities with white homeless people but not much) but obviously not.

what frosty said is right- what a fuckin idiot, he deserved it for bein too lazy to go out and get a real drug- and it was't a kid, the guy was 36 yrs old!!

possession of a sniffing substance.

LOL wow, you get tazed, burst into flames, and then get a drug charge for GAS?! lol This might be one fella who won't be held back too much by our stupid College Aid drug rules =p

what frosty said is right- what a fuckin idiot, he deserved it for bein too lazy to go out and get a real drug- and it was't a kid, the guy was 36 yrs old!!

And a member of an indigenous community that has been persecuted, forced into poverty and subjected to cultural extermination for generations.

He deserves to burn to death at the hands of the police for choosing to inhale gasoline on his property?

Just so we're clear- vigilante/extrajudicial immolation is an appropriate sentance for not choosing a white counterculture acceptable substance to abuse? Would you be mad if he had been smoking weed and set on fire by the police?