• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Meth/Amphetamines: Serious Discussion Only - V.2: MERGED with amps quitting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

panic in paradise

Bluelighter
"This is the Speed/Meth/Amphetamines MEGA Thread. This thread will focus on the unique challenges and problems caused by amphetamine dependence. Talk about your struggles with psychosis, battle to get clean and generally get support here!"

- chicpoena

JUST TO ADD THE BASIC RULES HERE:
- no advocating anything in the amphetamine family
- think of wat u say wen u post.....diffrent ppl here r at diffrent stages of recovery - cud u b triggering a lapse/relapse by something u say
- no personal attacks.....plz PM the mods if u r upset by something a user has said.....we can usually sort it out
- this thread is about addiction, for addicts.....if ur not an addict, u r welcome to hav ur piece to say, but it must b helpful for us who r suffering from amphetamine addiction
-support/advice/(negative) experiences and ur offering help to others is the basis of this thread
- if u find ur post isnt here, high chance its been deleted cos u didnt read these rules properly

Last edited by a moderator:
Left home and moved in with someone who used regularly, the first time I ever witnessed him do it I smoked it also, the come down put me off and I announced I didn't like it.

I went maybe six months watching daily and snorting very occassionally, then began smoking daily and lost contact with friends/family and developed new "friends", Binged heavily for maybe a year and a half until I went a saw my mother and that was enough inspiration to *quit*.

I got a job and stopped using everyday, now maybe once a month but when I first moved in every weekend.

Left home and moved in with someone who used regularly, the first time I ever witnessed him do it I smoked it also, the come down put me off and I announced I didn't like it.

I went maybe six months watching daily and snorting very occassionally, then began smoking daily and lost contact with friends/family and developed new "friends", Binged heavily for maybe a year and a half until I went a saw my mother and that was enough inspiration to *quit*.

I got a job and stopped using everyday, now maybe once a month but when I first moved in every weekend.

That gives me some hope. I've been smoking it heavily for about the same time (a year and a half) and I'm still hoping I can go back to doing it occasionally, like once or twice a month. It would be great to have the meth monster under control again. BTW, it's nice to see another kiwi here. :)

^^ I used to think it would be nice to use occasionally, but actually fuck that, I want to be on it all the time, and if I can't be on it all the time, I actually think I'd rather not do it at all. It's the same with drinking, I want to get wasted, so if I'm trying to control my drinking I'd rather have no drinks, than let myself have 2 and just tease myself.

Ahhh fuck I want to get on so bad right now.

Well done Lefty for another week, how long in total has it been now?
Do you remember which weeks you found hardest?
I definitely found the first two the worst, the second two really cruisy, now I'm getting into my 5th week and I'm craving really badly, I'm constantly on edge and every little trigger is making me rush.

This is the longest I've been off for 3 years though :)

I'm probably going to buy heroin this week, I'm craving it too, though when I think about it I'm just trying to substitute something for the meth which I'm 'allowed' to do :\

it's been 10 weeks clear, now:)

the hardest were the first 2-3 weeks. initially getting over the cravings of every weekend use and filling that void; the psychological re-adjustment basically. finding things to fill that void can be difficult but if you have a support network of friends and family it definitely is a hell of a lot easier.

I thought this might be a good post for pointers on how to quit meth/amphetamines and feel good after quitting. I'm not an expert, exactly, but I've found some things that worked well for me so I'll add them here. Hopefully this will be good help for others!

1. Take a week (preferably two) off work to spend in bed or around the house. You'll need it! Amphetamines deprive your body from getting enough sleep - even if you think you're getting enough sleep while on them, they take up so much energy from your body that you'll need extra sleep to recover, and I mean a LOT OF IT! When I detoxed from adderall I spent about 16 hours a day sleeping. You might wonder if you'll ever get out of bed again, but by the end of the week you'll find that you can spend at least eight or so hours awake - that means your body is finally getting back to normal. The important thing is to let yourself sleep AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE for the week or two that you have.

2. Eat a lot of healthy foods - with lots of protein, vitamins, etc. I know from experience that when you're withdrawing, the last thing you'll want to do is cook, so make sure that you have lots of foods on hand that are easy to eat right away - yogurt, hummus and raw veggies, fruit, prepared sandwiches and pasta salads, etc. Don't worry about eating full meals, just make sure you snack consistently while you're awake and eat as much as you can.

3. Stock up on vitamins and supplements to take during withdrawal and afterwards. The first week, take a lot of L-tyrosine (an amino acid that restores dopamine to the brain), a good multivitamin (preferably the "superfood" kind that has stuff like spirulina, chlorella, other herbs, etc.), protein powder, and vitamins/supplements that restore muscle tone (amphetamines weaken your muscles and that's why you'll feel shaky on your feet). Good medication to take during this first week are benzos (be careful with these, you don't want to start a second addiction, but one week of benzos should be fine), and meds for restful sleep such as seroquel.
The second week, continue your L-tyrosine but stop taking benzos and use seroquel, etc. more sparingly. You may start experiencing more depression or anxiety around this time, so supplements I'd recommend are valerian root or kava (for anxiety) and St. John's Wort (for depression... don't take it at the same time as tyrosine, though). For medication, I don't recommend SSRI's (unless they've worked well for you in the past), but I do recommend Welbutrin and others that work well on the dopamine system. For me, personally, Abilify works really well for depression.
Note: If you're going to try psych meds to help depression/anxiety systems, make sure you research any interactions with supplements such as L-tyrosine, etc.

4. After the end of the first week (or even second week - whenever you can get out of bed for more than a couple hours) you'll want to start EXERCISING A LOT! Your muscles will have been weakened from daily amphetamine use, so you need to work harder to build them back up so you can feel strong on your feet. I recommend short, intense exercising that won't take too much time, but will build your muscles up fast. Try eating a good, healthy meal, waiting an hour or so, and then going on a good run/bike ride/cardio at the gym for as long as you can (at least 15 minutes, but hopefully 1/2hr/45mins if you can do that). After the exercise, replenish your body with a good protein supplement plus a high-protein food (ie. yogurt, meat), wait about an hour or so and then have a nice long sleep to let your muscles rest. Do this EVERY DAY if possible.

5. After a couple weeks the worst will be over, so your job is now to keep yourself from relapsing. I recommend removing as much as stress as possible from your life and letting yourself take it easy as much as possible. Also, make sure that you're eating healthy and exercising as often as possible - keep that up! It'll make you feel good and that'll keep you from craving as much. L-tyrosine and the multi-vitamin are the minimum supplements that you should keep taking for the next few months or however long you need them. If you feel the need for a psychiatric medication, you may want to stay on Welbutrin, Abilify, or whatever antidepressant/anxiety med works well for you - stay on it for about 6 months to a year because these meds work best over a several-month duration (and some of them take about six weeks or so to kick in), then you can begin tapering off them.

Remember that a daily amphetamine habit has long term consequences and you'll need to take extra care of yourself for several months/a couple years after quitting. However, i can tell you from experience that if you take good care of yourself after you quit, you can begin to feel good about life QUITE SOON!

Excellent advice! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I'm sure it will be really helpful. :)

I thought this might be a good post for pointers on how to quit meth/amphetamines and feel good after quitting. I'm not an expert, exactly, but I've found some things that worked well for me so I'll add them here. Hopefully this will be good help for others!

1. Take a week (preferably two) off work to spend in bed or around the house. You'll need it! Amphetamines deprive your body from getting enough sleep - even if you think you're getting enough sleep while on them, they take up so much energy from your body that you'll need extra sleep to recover, and I mean a LOT OF IT! When I detoxed from adderall I spent about 16 hours a day sleeping. You might wonder if you'll ever get out of bed again, but by the end of the week you'll find that you can spend at least eight or so hours awake - that means your body is finally getting back to normal. The important thing is to let yourself sleep AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE for the week or two that you have.

2. Eat a lot of healthy foods - with lots of protein, vitamins, etc. I know from experience that when you're withdrawing, the last thing you'll want to do is cook, so make sure that you have lots of foods on hand that are easy to eat right away - yogurt, hummus and raw veggies, fruit, prepared sandwiches and pasta salads, etc. Don't worry about eating full meals, just make sure you snack consistently while you're awake and eat as much as you can.

3. Stock up on vitamins and supplements to take during withdrawal and afterwards. The first week, take a lot of L-tyrosine (an amino acid that restores dopamine to the brain), a good multivitamin (preferably the "superfood" kind that has stuff like spirulina, chlorella, other herbs, etc.), protein powder, and vitamins/supplements that restore muscle tone (amphetamines weaken your muscles and that's why you'll feel shaky on your feet). Good medication to take during this first week are benzos (be careful with these, you don't want to start a second addiction, but one week of benzos should be fine), and meds for restful sleep such as seroquel.
The second week, continue your L-tyrosine but stop taking benzos and use seroquel, etc. more sparingly. You may start experiencing more depression or anxiety around this time, so supplements I'd recommend are valerian root or kava (for anxiety) and St. John's Wort (for depression... don't take it at the same time as tyrosine, though). For medication, I don't recommend SSRI's (unless they've worked well for you in the past), but I do recommend Welbutrin and others that work well on the dopamine system. For me, personally, Abilify works really well for depression.
Note: If you're going to try psych meds to help depression/anxiety systems, make sure you research any interactions with supplements such as L-tyrosine, etc.

4. After the end of the first week (or even second week - whenever you can get out of bed for more than a couple hours) you'll want to start EXERCISING A LOT! Your muscles will have been weakened from daily amphetamine use, so you need to work harder to build them back up so you can feel strong on your feet. I recommend short, intense exercising that won't take too much time, but will build your muscles up fast. Try eating a good, healthy meal, waiting an hour or so, and then going on a good run/bike ride/cardio at the gym for as long as you can (at least 15 minutes, but hopefully 1/2hr/45mins if you can do that). After the exercise, replenish your body with a good protein supplement plus a high-protein food (ie. yogurt, meat), wait about an hour or so and then have a nice long sleep to let your muscles rest. Do this EVERY DAY if possible.

5. After a couple weeks the worst will be over, so your job is now to keep yourself from relapsing. I recommend removing as much as stress as possible from your life and letting yourself take it easy as much as possible. Also, make sure that you're eating healthy and exercising as often as possible - keep that up! It'll make you feel good and that'll keep you from craving as much. L-tyrosine and the multi-vitamin are the minimum supplements that you should keep taking for the next few months or however long you need them. If you feel the need for a psychiatric medication, you may want to stay on Welbutrin, Abilify, or whatever antidepressant/anxiety med works well for you - stay on it for about 6 months to a year because these meds work best over a several-month duration (and some of them take about six weeks or so to kick in), then you can begin tapering off them.

Remember that a daily amphetamine habit has long term consequences and you'll need to take extra care of yourself for several months/a couple years after quitting. However, i can tell you from experience that if you take good care of yourself after you quit, you can begin to feel good about life QUITE SOON!

Do you believe there is such thing as legitimate Adderall usage?

^^I think you should be very careful....:(

I don't think you are in too deep in the sense that it's not having too many negative effects on you at the moment, overall it's probably a net positive effect, yeah? The thing that's so insidous about meth though is that by the time it does start having negative effects you wont be able to stop. If you're finding it so hard to stop now, and you've only smoked it a dozen times, imagine how much more difficult it will be when you've been smoking it twice a week for a year.

Pillthrill said:
My friend and I both say we wanna lay off, but we don't. Guess I'm not that motivated to do so. It has started to come before school and my bf and causing damage to those 2 areas

I think this is a huge warning sign. It already has some level of control over you. Just something you should recognise. I don't know, some people can fuck around with meth but most can't. Just be very careful, it's the shittest feeling being chained to this drug <3

I don't feel like I'm in too deep at the moment. Although like I said, I don't feel the need to quit. What do you think guys, am I fooling myself here?

Probably... but I'm the same. I keep saying that I don't want to quit, I just want to get my usage under control again. But it ain't happening. If anything, my usage is actually increasing. :\

"Quit while you're ahead" is good cliche advise for you, PT. You're not addicted, you just like it a lot (or at least it sounds like it)... It's fun, but you don't want to be doing it as often as you are now. Try taking a break for a month - you don't have to quit entirely, but a break would be good. You really don't want to get addicted!

PT, I was abusing adderall. I finagled a prescription after I started using it, but took way higher doses than what I was prescribed, run out early and buy from friends, and I'd also stop eating or sleeping for extended periods of time - and I craved it. Definitely was not taking it as prescribed.

Are you talking use as prescripted or abuse?

Really those are good tips for any stimulant use, long term or acute. Just trying to help yourself out a bit. You gotta do all the things that you don't do when your high in order to recover. Sometimes after meth I crash hard. I don't ALWAYS sleep, although usually I do. I just don't have the energy or motivation really to get up and do anything. Showering can even be a chore when I'm high, on most things though. Not just meth.

I am trying to keep my meth smoking to once or twice a week. Idk it seems to get better for me as I keep doing it. I've done it, oh perhaps a dozen times in the last maybe month or so. Is that a lot or not? I have no idea.
Maybe I can take more than a 2 day break now that I've lost a couple of the friends that I hung out with that did it all the time. Although I have one other that gets good shards and he doesn't like to smoke alone. I've been helping him with a complete apartment overhaul. I mean BAD! We smoke it then to stay up and try to get more cleaning and painting done.
I'm also VERY VERY broke so I thought that would stop me a bit too. Hasn't stopped the other drug use so I doubt this is any different. I blew $40 on oxy that I didn't have to spend, why will this be any different.
My friend and I both say we wanna lay off, but we don't. Guess I'm not that motivated to do so. It has started to come before school and my bf and causing damage to those 2 areas. But since Sean and I talked I've tried very hard to give him the time and attention he deserves and hopefully that will help. I feel pretty bad hiding this from him.
I don't feel like I'm in too deep at the moment. Although like I said, I don't feel the need to quit. What do you think guys, am I fooling myself here?

What the hell do you think?! You already know this answer

PT, you already know the answer to those questions, do you really think an escalating methamphetamine habit is going to lead anywhere good?

Whether you do something while you can or keep riding the speed train until the end of the line is your call.

Oh and leftwings man good to hear you're still going strong, keep it up dude :)

Are you talking use as prescripted or abuse?

Really those are good tips for any stimulant use, long term or acute. Just trying to help yourself out a bit. You gotta do all the things that you don't do when your high in order to recover. Sometimes after meth I crash hard. I don't ALWAYS sleep, although usually I do. I just don't have the energy or motivation really to get up and do anything. Showering can even be a chore when I'm high, on most things though. Not just meth.

I am trying to keep my meth smoking to once or twice a week. Idk it seems to get better for me as I keep doing it. I've done it, oh perhaps a dozen times in the last maybe month or so. Is that a lot or not? I have no idea.
Maybe I can take more than a 2 day break now that I've lost a couple of the friends that I hung out with that did it all the time. Although I have one other that gets good shards and he doesn't like to smoke alone. I've been helping him with a complete apartment overhaul. I mean BAD! We smoke it then to stay up and try to get more cleaning and painting done.
I'm also VERY VERY broke so I thought that would stop me a bit too. Hasn't stopped the other drug use so I doubt this is any different. I blew $40 on oxy that I didn't have to spend, why will this be any different.
My friend and I both say we wanna lay off, but we don't. Guess I'm not that motivated to do so. It has started to come before school and my bf and causing damage to those 2 areas. But since Sean and I talked I've tried very hard to give him the time and attention he deserves and hopefully that will help. I feel pretty bad hiding this from him.

Why are you trying to MAKE yourself an addict?

Seriously, I can't even get out of bed or stay awake without shoving this shit up my nose, it's destroyed my body my mind cost me my family boyfriends friends career and everyone else posting in this thread can identify with if not all of that a lot of it... why on Earth are you posting in here REALIZING you're becoming more addicted and just going with it, not trying to stop using entirely???

It keeps getting better for you as you keep doing it? WHY are you doing it? What is wrong with you?

This is so infuriating to read at this present moment.. I have never been this physically dependent on meth before, I can't go five hours without consuming it or I am coming down so hard I can't physically function. There is no detoxing from this shit because I will be HOMELESS and BROKE.

This shit is going to kill me I know it. My body is breaking down but it's like it doesn't even seem real to me even as I can feel it. Or I really just don't care anymore.

^^^
Wiser words have never been spoken. It sounds cliche, but quit while you can pillthrill. This drug will take over your life in a most insidious way.

i have to reiterate what everyone else has said PT, and quit while youre ahead... you know what it does, why you shouldnt do it, you arent dependent on it, and now you know what the deal is with it experimenting, so theres no excuse.

think of it as a relationship; you just met a guy - had a LOT of fun - he made you feel perfect like never before - he had an ominous twinkle* in his eye - you soon discover - he has a very violent criminal history and is a 10x felon on the run - you find out hes hustling you - you are harboring this fuk-o - he raises his hand - you kick him out the damn door - you continue with your life. ~spare yourself & family the heart ache, leave it alone.

please?

Status
Not open for further replies.