PDA

View Full Version : quitting weed after heavy use

Rad62
30-06-2009, 18:11
ive been smoking weed everyday multiple times for the past 2 years and have to stop for drug screening/court-ordered testing. i just wanted to know if anybody here has quit so abruptly and what i might expect in the next few weeks...

DEFNSD
30-06-2009, 21:27
I've been smoking daily for about to years now also. Sometimes I take a break just for the hell of it. Nothing really happens, maybe some anxiety or some trouble sleeping but nothing more.

OntarioGuy
30-06-2009, 22:07
Yeah and I get kinda pissy about stuff,but dont sweat it,its not like H withdrawal or anything

monstanoodle
30-06-2009, 23:02
This is more suited to Cannabis Discussion, so I've reported it and asked it to be moved there.

Anyway, it always seems much harder than it turns out to be. I was expecting to be climbing the walls craving a smoke like fuck, but it honestly isn't that bad :)
As mentioned above, a bit of anxiety (maybe, depending on the individual), trouble sleeping, lack of appetite, a lot of sweating (I experienced this, dunno if others do), slight cravings, crazy dreams (due to weed making you forget your dreams. You still dream on weed, but you don't remember them at all and it feels like you don't dream) and that's about it really.

Good luck :) It'll be good for you. You'll feel so much more clear-headed.

Tsukasa
30-06-2009, 23:19
It's probably lost it's magic for you by now anyway. Weed smoking habit is imo one of the worst. Can't remember shit, feel crappy without it, upper respiratory problems, anxiety, paranoia, headaches, etc. It's much better to use it occasionally. That way you'll get much better highs. Just like fapping. If you do it everyday, it's not so great. But if you wait atleast a few days, it's a LOT more rewarding. For wd's I reccomend eating dark chocolate (70-90%), Omega fatty acid supplement, and a multivitamin/mineral. Also get some cardio excercise to help sweat it out of your system. With all that, you should be back to normal by a weeks time.

slimvictor
30-06-2009, 23:29
Unlike other posters, I experienced a great deal of difficulty quitting weed.
I had all the emotional problems you hear mentioned, including bad mood, being quick to anger, everything looking dark to the point of near-depression, etc., but I also had a host of physical symptoms - withdrawal symptoms.
I had trouble sleeping, I needed much more sleep than normal, I felt like I had a cold or flu, I had no energy all day every day, my throat hurt, my body produced great amounts of mucus, etc.
These symptoms lasted for about a month, full strength, and another few weeks at partial strength before they wore off and I was left with a constant feeling of energy and clarity.
Good luck!

epiks
01-07-2009, 00:36
I smoked pretty much daily for four years, other than a few breaks to bring back the magic. But I got irritated, mild anxiety, and a bad headache. Nothing unbearable, although I've been thru H withdrawals, so I guess I can't talk. But really, its not that bad.

Opiate 420
01-07-2009, 05:43
crazy dreams (due to weed making you forget your dreams. You still dream on weed, but you don't remember them at all and it feels like you don't dream)

This is so true and kinda scary, you dont expect it coming and all the sudden you have some crazy vivid ass dreams

ethnobot781
01-07-2009, 06:19
When I quit regular cannabis use years ago to improve short term memory while studying I did find I got several of the above symptoms. Not bad enough to drive me up the wall but enough to be annoying. I have two tips that really helped, one is to take a 5-HTP supplement (a serotonin precursor available in health food stores) which helps with both the potential depression and sleep issues (you should talk it over with your doctor if you're already on SSRI or SNRI antidepressants though as I don't know if combining could result in serotonin syndrome. This even helps with the freaky dreaming since the melatonin which regulates sleep patterns including REM sleep is metabolised from serotonin.

The other tip is remarkably simple but helped me no end - take some aerobic exercise (even if it's just a brisk 15 minute walk) in the morning and the evening (not within 2 hours of bedtime for the evening one). This'll do wonders for your chill, honest %)

Good Luck and Best Wishes, Ethnobot

leigh12
01-07-2009, 06:59
main thing i noticed is waking up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat , literally the whole bed was soaked . that lasted about 2 nights . and just generally irritable

never quit for more than a week and a half though , been smoking maybe 5 years

used to be all day everyday , now i just smoke half a gram at night time . if that

also bout the dreams on weed. for the last maybe 18 months iv been havin the same very realistic dream every night without fail , its sorta starting to freak me out

pr0d1gy
01-07-2009, 07:07
As someone who has gone through Benzo and Opiate withdrawals this is kinda insulting lol

Its weed.... You'll probably psyche yourself out more then anything

leigh12
01-07-2009, 07:24
what do u want , pat on the fukn back ?

Psilo707
01-07-2009, 07:27
-> cd

Opiate 420
01-07-2009, 07:52
As someone who has gone through Benzo and Opiate withdrawals this is kinda insulting lol

A lot of us have been through opiate withdrawal along with other medication withdrawals, but just because "it gets worse than weed withdrawal" that doesn't mean what the OP is going through is easy. Everyone is different and he could be having a very hard time, you shouldn't undermine someone like that just because the withdrawal from marijuana isn't as bad as other drugs. He might be havin a hard time so you should try an show some support rather than being a dick about it.

willow11
01-07-2009, 10:07
^Good post. I've been through withdrawal from other drugs (currenlty benzo's) and have found weed to be pretty difficult to stop...I would get very anxious, insomiac, no appetite....however, all that lasts for about three days r so and then starts getting back to normal after about a week.

That said, the last time I "quit" pot I went from smoking 2oz a week or so to nothing and felt great; bit nervous, but otherwise fine. I've started smoking a little bit again (stopped for about two months) and I get fuckzored. :) Only smoking about 50-100mg every few days too....

PhireXZ
01-07-2009, 10:10
I'd expect -

3 nights of Insomia - if you dont normally use benzo's...they can help..they are more addictive though...but not for a few nights, alternatives could include Melatonin or just do some excersize in the evening,

Loss of appetite.. try and maybe drink some protein shakes, milk shakes, milk with some kind of flavouring in it... chocolate .. just try eat something, maybe lay off the sugar at night

You'll probably be more angry than usual, and perhaps even pace around a bit and have excess nervous energy ... just be more conscious of it than anything, and ride with it, try not to asplode at people for no reason / little things (and maybe warn anyone in advance)

If you smoke cigarettes and also smoked bongs with weed mixed with cigarettes (not sure how you did it) then you'll have a major craving for cigarettes.

You'll most likely have trouble thinking and/ or with your thoughts for a few days, this is just your chemistry levelling out. Ride with it, don't plan to do anything requiring too much brainpower .. watch tv.. play video games, but don't try and write your thesis.

Have activities to keep you entertained.

If you didn't smoke out a bong, you'll find the withdrawal much easier.

By the end of day 3, you're sleeping will return

By the end of day 6 ish, you're appetite will return

By the end of week 1, you're moods will be better - end of week 2 they should be much better

AmphetamineNinja
01-07-2009, 10:20
im sorta with slim viktor on this one, its pretty rough for me, but also im very sensitive to weed, as in i would get ultra high (acid like) high on it, so maybe the withdrawal effect mirrors that. i would probably only smoke about half a gram a day to but of ultra high grade from the best cannibus clubs. of course some days would be alot more, and a some days a little less.

burn out
01-07-2009, 10:33
^Good post. I've been through withdrawal from other drugs (currenlty benzo's) and have found weed to be pretty difficult to stop...I would get very anxious, insomiac, no appetite....however, all that lasts for about three days r so and then starts getting back to normal after about a week.

That said, the last time I "quit" pot I went from smoking 2oz a week or so to nothing and felt great; bit nervous, but otherwise fine. I've started smoking a little bit again (stopped for about two months) and I get fuckzored. :) Only smoking about 50-100mg every few days too....

I'm also going through benzo withdrawals right now and as far as the intensity of the symptoms, they are quite comparable to what I went through with marijuana. The main difference is that benzo withdrawals seem to go on forever whereas most of the marijuana withdrawal symptoms resolve within a couple of weeks.

Rad62
01-07-2009, 10:36

Its weed.... You'll probably psyche yourself out more then anything

pr0d1gy get out of the thread, you fail to see the real reason for these boards. and if you think quitting weed was easy then it must have been because you were too much of a pussy to keep smoking every day in the first place, probably because you were so busy getting "psyched out"

seriously, just because i havent gone into full blown heroin w/d (or whatever drug problem you are trying to use to pitifully make yourself look tougher), doesnt mean i dont need the same support as you do

pr0d1gy
01-07-2009, 10:41
what do u want , pat on the fukn back ?

Yes plz

@ op... dude its weed... K ill grant you it may not be fun, @ the OP you will be minimally uncomfortable. :(

burn out
01-07-2009, 10:44
Psychologically speaking, I found marijuana far more addictive than any other drug I've ever done.

pr0d1gy
01-07-2009, 10:45
pr0d1gy get out of the thread, you fail to see the real reason for these boards. and if you think quitting weed was easy then it must have been because you were too much of a pussy to keep smoking every day in the first place, probably because you were so busy getting "psyched out"

seriously, just because i havent gone into full blown heroin w/d (or whatever drug problem you are trying to use to pitifully make yourself look tougher), doesnt mean i dont need the same support as you do

Yea i was too much of a pussy... z0mgawd all my money went towards smack so reefer was kinda on the back burner.

You fail to see that I am pointing out that cold cocking weed will not be horribly painful. Quiting weed is hard, for me it was a ritual to have a few bowls a day and breaking that psychological habit was hard. Physically its not a big deal for which you should be =D

Rad62
01-07-2009, 18:13
so YOU thought it was easy to quit smoking because you used h, but when thats all i associate shit with after 2 years there will definitely be some psychological upheaval...and if all your money was going to smack then you shouldnt be commenting on quitting weed because obviously youve never had to break a big habit with it.

so please, stay the fuck out of cannabis discussion and show off your smack history elsewhere...

slimvictor
01-07-2009, 23:49
The advice about getting some exercise is really good, I think.
Personally, I have tried to get high from exercise, as a way of replacing the weed high and countering the effects.
Exercising a lot helps with appetite, sleep, and mood, which are the main problems I experienced when quitting weed.
It also feels really good.
Doing something to take your mind off of it helps too, I found.
Maybe reading a good, long book?

Finally, focusing on how you are cleaning your body out, and the benefits you will receive is a good strategy, too. I feel more clearheaded and even-tempered when I am not smoking.

Good luck!!

pr0d1gy
02-07-2009, 01:37
so YOU thought it was easy to quit smoking because you used h, but when thats all i associate shit with after 2 years there will definitely be some psychological upheaval...and if all your money was going to smack then you shouldnt be commenting on quitting weed because obviously youve never had to break a big habit with it.

so please, stay the fuck out of cannabis discussion and show off your smack history elsewhere...

oh sorry, are those cannabis withdrawals already kicking in or are you just always pissy

Jibult
02-07-2009, 01:58

Everything he's said was on point. Compared to other drugs, pot withdrawals aren't too serious of an issue.

That's not to say you're not having a hell of a time quitting, because I know you probably are. That's just comparing one drugs potential for physical addiction to another.

PhireXZ is pretty much on point, by the way. There might be an inconsistency with the amount of time you experience each of the w/d symptoms and a few other issues like sweating, extremely vivid dreams and/or nightmares when you do get to sleep, and a complete lack of motivation to want to get up and do anything... but he definitely hit the nail on the head with his post.

For the record, I've been through benzo withdrawal and weed withdrawal (if you can even call it that) and quitting weed was a shitload easier than crushing my Xanax habit. Again, that's not shitting on you or calling you a pussy for having a hard time, it's just... how it is. With pot it's more of a self-control issue than anything else.

slimvictor
02-07-2009, 03:30
Two more tips -

The 5-HTP may be good advice, though I never noticed anything other than deep sleep, like with melatonin.

Also, I wouldn't listen to the people who have given you a timeline for your withdrawal.
Every human has a unique physiology, to the level of being biochemically individual, and it is likely that you will react differently than someone else. Getting off of weed was hard on me, and it might be very easy for some. You will have to see what it is like for you.

Psychologically, it was hard. I dreamed of weed for months.
But it is worth it!
Even if you plan to smoke pot for your whole life, it is smart to take time off regularly, to keep your body and mind clean. I think that two days a week, plus 1-2 months a year without smoking is ideal for me, when I am addicted. That keeps my thinking sharp and seems to keep my body healthy.

Rad62
02-07-2009, 04:42
okay, first off anybody posting about how much harder theyre habit is just get out. bluelight is for help.

if weed was easy for you then you obviously didnt use as much as i did, i can definitely tell you that i am having withdrawal from weed. if im trying to quit the last thing i need is assholes coming in telling me that any troubles im having now are just a sign of weakness. Ive been in moderate xanax withdrawal and the shit sucks horrendously, but even with a drug as light as weed, if you use it as religiously as i did your going to have major problems.

so please, if you dont have a problem with cannabis or cant give insightful help then fuck off

Jibult
02-07-2009, 04:59
okay, first off anybody posting about how much harder theyre habit is just get out. bluelight is for help.

if weed was easy for you then you obviously didnt use as much as i did, i can definitely tell you that i am having withdrawal from weed. if im trying to quit the last thing i need is assholes coming in telling me that any troubles im having now are just a sign of weakness. Ive been in moderate xanax withdrawal and the shit sucks horrendously, but even with a drug as light as weed, if you use it as religiously as i did your going to have major problems.

so please, if you dont have a problem with cannabis or cant give insightful help then fuck off

You should try reading entire posts before you go off on these asshole rants. I wasn't calling you a pussy or weak at all, but if not having pot is affecting you to the point where you act like this when reading non-biased responses then I think you're doomed to a life of pseudo-addiction.

pr0d1gy
02-07-2009, 05:07
@ OP, You asked for advice and you are getting it! I wish you no pain and hope your ordeal of stopping "heavy" weed use goes by quickly and painlessly. What has been stated here, whether you like it or not, is that ending weed use is mostly psychological. Weed is one of the easiest drugs to quit temporarily but is one of the hardest to stay of for long periods of time.

Due to the fact that you are being drug tested and you don't seem like you want to go to jail i'd say that your willpower will keep you from toking up no problem, just find something else you can enjoy in place of weed. I took some yoga and excercised and it helped a lot with cravings.

No one is belittling you for not being hooked on hard drugs its not a fucking contest. From what ive read this thread should be making you optimistic because weed IS NOT THAT BAD to quit. If for some reason it is particularly hard for you go see a psych.

PS... No more hate mail spam insulting my dick size please

Rad62
02-07-2009, 05:09
@ OP, You asked for advice and you are getting it! I wish you no pain and hope your ordeal of stopping "heavy" weed use goes by quickly and painlessly. What has been stated here, whether you like it or not, is that ending weed use is mostly psychological. Weed is one of the easiest drugs to quit temporarily but is one of the hardest to stay of for long periods of time.

Due to the fact that you are being drug tested and you don't seem like you want to go to jail i'd say that your willpower will keep you from toking up no problem, just find something else you can enjoy in place of weed. I took some yoga and excercised and it helped a lot with cravings.

No one is belittling you for not being hooked on hard drugs its not a fucking contest. From what ive read this thread should be making you optimistic because weed IS NOT THAT BAD to quit. If for some reason it is particularly hard for you go see a psych.

PS... No more hate mail spam please

oh so that was your first offering of help when you said "to those who have been through smack and benzo addiction this is kind of insulting lol"????

Rad62
02-07-2009, 05:11
oh and yeah, it was definitely "heavy" weed use when i was going to interviews, classes, and exams high

pr0d1gy
02-07-2009, 05:19
This is getting pointless, my first post was sarcasm indicated by the "lol" @ the end. You've been given good advice in this thread; Exercise, 5htp, etc... was there anything else you wanted?

Rad62
02-07-2009, 05:26
thanks for the advice, sorry i lost my head but that shit was uncalled for, even if just a joke. i cant take 5-HTP because of the risk of serotonin syndrome with zoloft...should i disregard this?

pr0d1gy
02-07-2009, 05:31
Ditto dude, I shouldn't have belittled any other type of addiction. hehe im just bitter I guess it wasn't that long ago.

May want to avoid 5htp on a SSRI. Maybe see a doc for ambien or short term benzos. If you aren't getting bad physical effects doing shit to get your mind of weed maybe important. I played a shit load of COD4 myself lol. Hope this works out for you

sunshine swimmer
02-07-2009, 05:49
Psychologically speaking, I found marijuana far more addictive than any other drug I've ever done.

same for me

Arobskittle
02-07-2009, 08:37
my girlfriend had to quit and she got really sick, for a few days, throwing up and insomnia. I get terrible sweats when i try to quit and have the worst time sleeping and eating. The addiction is real, and i bet its worse for some; just as some people get way fucked up off something that does not phase someone else.

slimvictor
02-07-2009, 13:26
Just to be clear -
there are several posts stating clearly that people have experienced PHYSICAL symptoms from weed withdrawal. It is hardest psychologically, including potential emotional moodswings and temporary depression, but there are several posts listing physical symptoms. Insomnia, lethargy, vomiting, sweating, lack of appetite, and night sweats are physical. I even felt like I had a cold or flu, with achy bones and full-body pain.
Withdrawal symptoms might be fairly intense, or they might be light or nonexistent.

Just remember that it is worth it.
One more thing - eating healthy food seems to help.

Hood.
03-07-2009, 19:34
Seems to be a lot of threads regarding quitting cannabis. Ill make this short!

Motivation - Really critical that you want to stop smoking because YOU want to stop smoking. This is what usually gets me back smoking.

Work/Study - You have to make sure you get out and about, this makes you more tired and i usually feel better if i haven't spent the day doing nothing.

Break old habits: I find i really cant watch certain tv shows or play some computer games when trying to quit. Certain things are only nice if you are stoned.

Don't hangout with dealers/stoners - at least in the beginning. Makes giving in to temptation more unlikely.

Spend all your cash, for me this was very effective until i started to get credit with my dealer.

Drink beer. Best cure for it, you will even sleep at night! Watch out for the hangover though. This is not a good option if you work, i always think i should quit alcohol instead and continue smoking when i have to work hungover.

/Hood

sunshine swimmer
04-07-2009, 12:42
Ok, so iam a daily smoker myself, unless availability or money is an issue, and most of the time it isnt. Im on my third day of a break, so far i have had alot of trouble sleeping, VERY vivid realistic dreams, that i remember very clearly the next day and still do, hot/cold feeling, very very annoying, sweating, head ache and short temper and ALOT of nervous energy. Its a bitch sometimes, but it will be worth it in the next day or two when i smoke up and get alot more stoned.

ethnobot781
04-07-2009, 22:05
thanks for the advice, sorry i lost my head but that shit was uncalled for, even if just a joke. i cant take 5-HTP because of the risk of serotonin syndrome with zoloft...should i disregard this?

The 5-HTP was my suggestion and a re-read of my post will show I warned about the possibility of serotonin syndrome with SSRI/SNRIs. I would indeed avoid this if you are taking Zoloft to be on the safe side. You may want to discuss your antidepressant with your doctor if you feel comfortable with doing so since you may benefit from a small dose increase in the short to medium term while getting over the psychological addiction and brain chemistry screw ups of quitting the weed.

The exercise advice I gave still holds true though and you may want to consider some dietary advice: Eating less sugar and more wholegrain will help stabilise your blood sugar which can help with the feelings of fatigue you may be experiencing. If you can't take 5-HTP it's well worth eating two servings of turkey per week and snacking on bananas - both these foods will help supply your body with building blocks for serotonin/melatonin neurotransmitters but there is absolutely no danger of your body producing too much from them (it just doesn't work that way). Cutting out saturated fats for a few weeks and eating some oily fish (salmon, tuna, trout, mackerel [I hate mackerel but I mention it in case anyone doesn't]) will help uncloud your thinking by supplying your brain with the essential dietary fatty acids it needs in place of fats that bind to the same parts of cells but don't work.
Eating your veg and taking a multivitamin will improve your mood over 2-3 weeks too.

I'm not saying become a health freak for life - cutting out weed was so much simpler before the nanny state in westernised countries outlawed kava extracts that were marvellous for weaning of pot - but looking after what goes in to your body and brain will give you a fighting chance to stay clean by improving your mood and feeling of connectedness with life naturally and with few side effects ;)

Shout at me if you're grouchy and you think I'm preaching lol - you can't do worse than my ex :D

Peace and the best of luck, Ethnobot