NEWS: The Advertiser - 25/06/09 'Wallabies get high in poppy fields'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Wallabies get high in poppy fields, make crop circles
By Damien Brown
The Advertiser
June 25, 2009 12:01am

0,,6687784,00.jpg

High on life ... the wallabies are increasingly entering the fields and eating the poppy heads, causing them to get high.

WALLABIES are breaking into Tasmania's poppy fields and getting high.

The strange occurrence that was revealed in a State Government Budget Estimates hearing, has also solved what some growers say has spurred a campfire legend about mysterious crop circles that appear in northern Tasmania's poppy paddocks.

In true X-Files-style, Attorney-General Lara Giddings said the drugged out wallabies had been found hopping around in circles squashing the poppies, creating the formations – and hence solving the mystery.

The wallabies are increasingly entering the fields and eating the poppy heads, The Advertiser reports.

That causes them to get high and run around in circles creating "crop circles".

"The one interesting bit that I found recently in one of my briefs on the poppy industry was that we have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," Ms Gidding said.

"Then they crash. We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high."

Tasmanian Alkaloids field operations manager Rick Rockliff said wildlife and livestock that ate the poppies were known to "act weird" including deer in the state's highlands and sheep.

"There have been many stories about sheep that have eaten some of the poppies after harvesting and they all walk around in circles," Mr Rockliff said.

"But as growers we try our best to try and stop this sort of consumption particularly by livestock due to concerns about the contamination of the meat.

"There is also the risk to our poppy stocks, so growers take this very seriously but there has been a steady increase in the number of wild animals and that is where we are having difficulty keeping them off our land."

News.com.au

How many of you have been ordering these Wallaby suits and where can I get one? :(

The same goes for birds eating the seed... funny to see :)

Around harvest time the seed eating birds just sit around all fluffed up and off chops. You can walk right up to them and they don't bother to move.

Hilarious.

Although I can't blame, if I could do the same thing. I know I would be.

do u reckon they would notice a 6 foot fat wallaby munching on poppies :p

Nice. I read this earlier on in the day.

First thing that came to my mind was where can I get a midget and a wallaby costume from...

Geez some animals have a good life, if reincarnation is real then I want to come back as a wallaby in Tasmania!

Nice. I read this earlier on in the day.

First thing that came to my mind was where can I get a midget and a wallaby costume from...

Geez some animals have a good life, if reincarnation is real then I want to come back as a wallaby in Tasmania!

LOL thats what i was exactly thinking hahahaha

Altho wouldnt be bad to be any sort of animal munchin on coca leaves:)
Wouldnt mind being a shaman or even goin to a ceremony where they smoke all these herbs and eat peyotes and etc etc and talk with the gods. That would be hectic as haha.

This isgoing to sound like a lie but it isn't... my mate has a farm in the southern tablelands and for years they would run around and catch rabbits,it wasn't easy and no not every attempt was successful,all the feral pigs and roos were slow as...then for some reason everything changed, all these little critters got real fast...turns out the bloke next to our property was growing shit loads of pot

Aussies corrupt koalas!!!

Figure this didn't belong in the news forum so I'd post it here. You crazy Aussies have managed to put monkeys on the backs of innocent Koala bears.

Apparently they've been hanging around the towns and taken up one of the local customs....

"Thursday, 25 June 2009 - 4:03pm

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SYDNEY -- Wallabies snacking in Tasmania's legally grown opium poppy fields are getting "high as a kite" and hopping around in circles, trampling the crops, a state official said.

Tasmania Attorney-General Lara Giddings told a budget hearing Wednesday that she had recently read about the kangaroo-like marsupials' antics in a brief on the state's large poppy industry. Tasmania is the world's largest producer of legally grown opium for the pharmaceutical market.

"We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," The Mercury newspaper quoted Giddings as telling the hearing. "Then they crash. We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high."

Calls to Giddings' office were not immediately returned Thursday, and The Associated Press was unable to obtain a copy of the brief she cited.

A manager for one of two Tasmanian companies licensed to take medicinal products from poppy straw told the newspaper that wildlife and livestock -- including deer and sheep -- that eat the poppies are known to "act weird."

"There have been many stories about sheep that have eaten some of the poppies after harvesting and they all walk around in circles," Tasmanian Alkaloids field operations manager Rick Rockliff said.

Others in the local poppy industry could not be reached for comment.

Tasmania supplies about 50 per cent of the world's raw material for morphine and related opiates. About 500 farmers grow the crop on 49,420 acres (20,000 hectares) of land."

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:R-v5u2_CS4sJ:www.drugpolicycentral.com/bot/xarticle/fftimes2544.htm+erowid+poppy+pods&cd=29&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

I'm going to chuck this over to DD, if you don't think it should be there throw it back