• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 11.6.09 - P use levelling out, ecstasy on the rise ( NZ )

kingpin007

Bluelighter
P use levelling out, ecstasy on the rise

June 11, 2009

p_packets_smuggle_1.jpg

Methamphetamine use appears to be levelling out, but ecstasy is gaining in popularity, according to a Massey University study just released.

Lead researcher Dr Chris Wilkins said the reasons behind the developments could be the bad reputation of methamphetamine, or P, and the outlawing of the party pill drug BZP last year.

"The ban on BZP may be encouraging more people to use ecstasy," he said.

Wilkins warned that ecstasy users needed to be aware of the risks, including the possibility that they might not be taking pure ecstasy, but a mixture of methamphetamine, ketamine and BZP.

He said the study's findings illustrated the effectiveness of prohibiting a previously legal substance - in this case, BZP - by changing the way it was supplied and making it more difficult and expensive to get.

The findings are contained in the latest annual Illicit Drugs Monitoring System report, which looks at trends in illegal drug use and drug-related harm in New Zealand.

Researchers interviewed 404 frequent drug users in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

Those spoken to reported that fewer people they knew were using methamphetamine last year compared with 2006 and the availability of P had become more difficult.

The report said the price of a gram had increased from $610 in 2006 to $698 last year.

It pointed to other data that were consistent with their findings in terms of level of use.

They included the drop both in the number of illegal labs that police detected and in calls to the Drug and Alcohol Helpline in relation to methamphetamine.

However, the use of ecstasy appeared to be rising, with the drug's availability considered to be easier last year than in 2006.

As well, over the same period, the mean price of a pill fell to $55 from $59.

Cocaine was also reported as having been use increasingly over the past two years.

The report said few of those questioned had any experience of cocaine, which was considered to be difficult to obtain.

Nevertheless, cocaine's availability was reported to have been easier last year than in 2007 and its purity was higher.

Researchers also found that drug use and driving was at least as big a problem as alcohol and driving.

Yet drug users who drove believed they are less likely to be detected when stopped by police than if they had been drinking.

Wilkins said more educational and public awareness campaigns were needed to highlight the risks of driving while under the influence of drugs.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/p-use-levelling-ecstasy-rise-2779574

NEWS : 15.6.09 - Ecstasy use on rise

Ecstasy use on rise

Monday, 15 June 2009

istock_ecstasy.jpg

An increase in the use of ecstasy may be due to the outlawing of the party pill drug BZP and the bad reputation of P, according to the latest findings of the illicit drugs monitoring work done by Massey University researchers.

The latest findings of the Illicit Drugs Monitoring System, conducted among frequent drug users each year, show a levelling out of methamphetamine (P) use and increases in ecstasy and cocaine use.

Lead researcher Dr Chris Wilkins from the University’s Centre for Social and Health Outcomes Research and Evaluation says there has been a steady increase in ecstasy use since 2001. Though few of the frequent drug users interviewed had experience of cocaine there were signs it was becoming more readily available and of greater purity.

Dr Wilkins warned that people using ecstasy needed to be aware of its risks, including the risk that they may not be taking pure ecstasy but a mixture of methamphetamine, ketamine and BZP.

“The ban on BZP may encouraging more people to use ecstasy and this is an issue which we intend to investigate in detail over the next six weeks.”

The study’s findings illustrate the effectiveness of prohibiting a previously legal substance – in this case BZP – by changing the way it is supplied and making it more difficult and expensive to get.

Researchers also found that drug use and driving is at least as big a problem as alcohol and driving.
Yet drug users who drive believe they are less likely to be detected when stopped by police than if they were under the influence of alcohol, says Dr Wilkins.

More educational and public awareness campaigns are needed to highlight the risks of driving while under the influence of drugs, he says.

“People need to be made aware that driving under the influence of cannabis, methamphetamine and other illegal drugs is just as big a risk to themselves and others as driving under the influence of alcohol, and they are just as likely to be caught.”

http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/abou...cle_uuid=CBF60F16-96BF-57FE-A26C-F837FDED80B8

I didnt know it ever stopped growing in popularity.

Seriously though, havent we heard this enough times, I swear every month we get a news report saying E is on the rise....its been on the rise for the last 10 years, its no new news.

I've been using pills for 4ish years and I've only got one thing to say to the media, where are these ketamine pills that are being sold as ecstasy !?! :p Reveal your sources!!

^^Note to mods, tongue in cheek :)

I called this back when they were talking about banning BZP, no shit people are just going to turn to illegal alternatives.

"The ban on BZP may be encouraging more people to use ecstasy,"

We told you so.

Really what we predict is nearly always so and the governments goals pretty much always fail.

We base our decisions on the fucking obvious and science while they base theirs on...im not sure really, they just kinda make em

The report said the price of a gram had increased from $610 in 2006 to $698 last year.

Jesus H christ. I thought we had it bad here in Aus...

How the fuck does anyone actually take any drugs in NZ with prices like that? You'd have to be absolutely loaded or cooking your own shit to afford even moderate recreational type use.

yeah, the only place I know that calls meth-amp 'P' - not much thought process behind that name....hey bro!

it does seems a bad price ... not including the kiwi dollar vs aussie dollar it still works out $500 aussie dollars ...

crazy huh..

I can see importers/smugglers etc reading this and going to nz instead of here ..

Oh yeah I forgot about the exchange rate. Still that's pretty damn pricey.

I think 'P' is one of those names the media invents because it sounds cool that nobody actually uses. Just like no self respecting drug user ever refers to meth as 'ice' or calls ghb 'fantasy'

That was a really pretty looking pill!

And back on topic.. P?! I'm thinking is this new slang for pills or pot that I don't know about...

Yeah ecstasy is on the rise. But not MDMA pills. I wonder what the statistics are for MDMA usuage at the moment worldwide. How the hell would there be a rise in MDMA pill usage if there isnt any? lol if thats what they meant. Years ago we could choose between 5-10 types a weekend and we often got mixed baggies of pills. Wed all frown if it was the same logo 3 weeks in a row.It was so easy to get and u wouldnt have to worry about quality or not getting the thing u want.

I think 'P' is one of those names the media invents because it sounds cool that nobody actually uses. Just like no self respecting drug user ever refers to meth as 'ice' or calls ghb 'fantasy'

nah the kiwis actually do called it P.....at first I thought they were all into some weird fetish!

LOL @ $59 a pill. So ud need to have 10 low mdma pills a night to have fun which would be 2 weeks wage almost?