• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸CASE STUDIES - It could happen to YOU!⫷

The worst part is, she wouldn't let them remove it... That's going to be the death of this young woman... It's a fucking shame, drugs often times make us do things, that we know are not good for us... Her mind was probably on her next fix, and the fact that she wouldn't be able to get high for a few days, if she had the surgery... Sad, oh so sad, and 22 years old...
Ugh, Thank god for MMT...
Mat

It sounds like this was in the UK ("Accident & Emergency" & "Paracetamol")

If so, she would have been maintained on Methadone - she wouldn't have been made to cluck.

I've never heard of users keeping needles stuck in injection sites - for quick future access. Thats WAY out there. Especially in the groin - imagine having the exposed end of the needle rub against your underwear/trousers/whatever, and moving the pin around - that must hurt like FUCK.

Also, walking around with a needle hanging out your neck must of been...."uncomfortable".

I find it really upsetting how this drug can pull people to such an extreme low.

This is more common than you may think. My ex knew a guy who had a butterfly needle stuck in his arm 24/7; all he had to do was mix a shot in a needle-less syringe, stick it onto the butterfly needle and inject. No prodding for a vein.

However it certainly isn't a good idea to expose your blood stream to whatever bacterial/viral/fungal microbes are hanging out in the air.

Last edited:
This is more common than you may think. My ex knew a guy who had a butterfly needle stuck in his arm 24/7; all he had to do was mix a shot in a needle-less syringe, stick it onto the butterfly needle and inject. No prodding for a vein.

However it certainly isn't a good idea to expose your blood stream to whatever bacterial/viral/fungal microbes are hanging out in the air.

also leaving a needle in your arm leads to bloodclots over a period of days. This is a known issue in hospitals and they have ways to mitigate it.

Its fucked up.

I mean, once you know where/what your doing - in regards to femoral vein shooting - its relatively easy. It takes only a few seconds to register and shoot.

I just can't get my head around WHY you would need to keep a needle there?

Its fucked up.

I mean, once you know where/what your doing - in regards to femoral vein shooting - its relatively easy. It takes only a few seconds to register and shoot.

I just can't get my head around WHY you would need to keep a needle there?

Keep in mind this is a female, not a male, patient. I would imagine it is harder for women to inject in the Femerol vein than a male.

^ Dont know about that mate.

I've used with a lot of female freinds/users - and they all use the groin (I only know a couple H users that don't :/) - and they have no problem!

In fact, they all seem to be able to hit the femoral with just a regular orange insulin 1ml - I need one of those scary looking fucking bull-darts to hit!

When people try to shoot into their femoral vein and hit the artery, it obviously has horrible adverse effects as this thread shows...
But what I don't understand is, if your veins are so trashed you have to start using your legs (most cases), why try to hit the femoral vein?
It's so close to the artery which is obviously a big risk, so why not go for the 'Great saphenous vein'?
It's not close to any arteries or anything like that and is closer to the surface of the leg than the femoral vein, that being said it seems like a much better choice...
junkies just aren't the best at anatomy or what?

^ Never heard about that vein.

It became IMPOSSIBLE for me to find veins anywhere else - to get a shot became a horrible long, drawn out bloody mess - and I figured I would be doing less damage to myself by using the Fem.

I just asked a female friend of mine to show me how it was done - and have use that ever since.

^ Never heard about that vein.

It became IMPOSSIBLE for me to find veins anywhere else - to get a shot became a horrible long, drawn out bloody mess - and I figured I would be doing less damage to myself by using the Fem.

I just asked a female friend of mine to show me how it was done - and have use that ever since.
If you're not familiar with the "Great Saphenous vein" you can look at an anatomy chart (there's some pretty good ones on the "Femoral vein" article on Wiki)
It will show you, it's kind of close to the femoral vein (point of reference), it's just closer to the surface so you don't really have to go through any muscle,
and it's not by any arteries, major nerves, etc. etc. :)

-TheMatador

Irreversible Ischemic Hand Following Intraarterial Injection of Zolpidem Powder
Ming-Yang Chang, M.D., and Ja-Liang Lin, M.D. -- Journal of Toxicology, CLINICAL TOXICOLOGY, Vol. 41, No. 7, pp. 1025-1028, 2003

CASE REPORT
A 24-yr-old woman was admitted to Chang Gung Memorial Hospital with a painful cyanotic right hand 2 days after she injected a crushed zolpidem tablet into her radial artery. The patient had suffered from severe insomnia for 1 month. Seeking to maximize the effectiveness of the hypnotics she was taking, she learned a method of intravenous injection of tablets from a friend. The patient crushed a 10mg zolpidem tablet into powder, mixed it with 2mL of hot water, waited until it cooled, and then injected the mixture into a blood vessel on the volar aspect of the right wrist. She experienced severe pain in the right hand immediately after the injection, and all the fingers of her right fingers gradually turned black. On questioning, the patient reported that she aspirated bright red prior to the injection. The patient had previously enjoyed good health, and she denied any major systemic disease or history of recreational drug abuse.

Her vital signs were temperature 36C, respiration 19 breaths per min, pulse 129 beats per min, and blood pressure 163=115 mmHg. Her right hand was mottled, cool, and tender; all five digits of the right hand were cyanotic. Delayed capillary refilling and poor sensation to touch of these fingertips were observed. The area around the injection site was not discolored and the right hand was only slightly swollen. The rest of the physical examination was normal. Routine blood count and biochemistry tests were unremarkable. Emergent right upper limb arteriography revealed patent ulnar and radial arteries. The arteries in the hand appeared normal but duplex scanning showed reduced blood flow in the right interphalangeal arteries. The patient was treated promptly with a continuous intravenous heparin infusion titrated to an activated partial thrombin time between one and a half to two times the control value. Additionally, the right hand was elevated and opiates were given for pain control. Cyanosis of the five digits resolved partially after 3 days of treatment, but gangrene gradually developed in the first four fingertips (Fig. 1). The patient was further treated with nifedipine, parenteral oxacillin, and prostaglandin El intravenous infusion. One episode of hyperbaric oxygen therapy was administered. Nevertheless, the patient’s condition failed to improve, and she discharged herself against medical advice 1 month later, with the first four digits of the right hand continuing to suffer from gangrene.

Discussion (abridged):
Vascular occlusion of digits may result in tissue ischemia and subsequent digital necrosis and gangrene. Treiman et al. reported that almost 50% of severe cases required digital amputation following intraarterial injection (3).

The patient reported here accidentally injected one crushed zolpidem tablet into her radial artery, causing severe ischemia and digital gangrene. According to the manufacturer, zolpidem tablets contain zolpidem hemotartrate, microcrystalline cellulose, monohydrated lactose, and sodium carboxymethylamidon. The microcrystalline cellulose, which is an approved structural element in tablets for oral use in humans, is a solid embolic agent for the permanent occlusion of blood vessels in canine renal arterial systems (8). Microcrystalline cellulose spheres are insoluble in water and most organic solvents; they travel to vessels with diameters approximating their own, and larger vessels were occluded by bead aggregation (8). Since our patient was refractory to heparinization and vasodilators, we suspect that microvascular embolization related to the microcrystalline cellulose may have contributed to this irreversible ischemic process.
Microcrystalline cellulose is used also in the preparation of codeine, pentazocine, methadone, oxcycodone, and phenobarbital tablets. Goldberg et al. reported gangrene of the upper extremity after an intraarterial injection of crushed codeine tablets (9).
The results demonstrated that the unique component producing the gangrene was the microcrystalline cellulose, while the injection of pure codeine was harmless. Furthermore, pulmonary microcrystalline cellulose deposition from intravenous injection of codeine tablets has been reported in a patient receiving parenteral nutrition (10).

Attachments

• Chang_fig1.jpg
    Chang_fig1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,458
"that almost 50% of severe cases required digital amputation following intraarterial injection"

eek :\

wow....all to try to IV ambien...

She left still suffering from gangrene? I can't imagine how someone would do that to themselves...

centrebet's next scheme - "heads or tails", is she going to need amputation after this injection? /bad joke

where is the fascination of wanting to inject hypontics anyway?

any chance you've got any studies involving people injecting into the penis? i could see a case study on a penis injection gone wrong would persuade a few of the people who come on here wanting to do it not to.

^ oh god, I hadn't even thought of that. I don't know what's worse; shooting drugs into your dick or your eye (like the guy above) :)

any chance you've got any studies involving people injecting into the penis? i could see a case study on a penis injection gone wrong would persuade a few of the people who come on here wanting to do it not to.

The sad thing is...they'll probably try it anyways.

Some sedatives/hypnotics do provide subjective beneficial effects from IV administration vs oral, insufflation, rectal, etc. Having shot plenty of Zolpidem, I can say without a doubt that this isn't one of those substances :p

Femerol vein injection(groin), dorsal injections (penis) and jugular injections (in the neck) are generally done by longterm, chronic addicts. People who visit Harm Reduction forums aren't likely to find themselves in such a state to begin with. I don't believe horror stories will deter anyone who is seriously considering or engaging in these practices. It seems to be a cultural rather than educational problem.

Last edited:
fuck. i never want to even touch a needle after seeing this thread.

with my luck something bad would happen to me. f that

^ this kind of comment makes it all worth it (ie the time it takes to search for, download, then format these studies). So to all those who got something out of this thread, thanks :)

I don't believe horror stories will deter anyone who is seriously considering or engaging in these practices. It seems to be a cultural rather than educational problem.

agreed. Which is why I have tried to only provide case studies where they can apply to our members. I have some pretty terrible studies -- like the one with the intraorbital heroin injection (ie the eye!) - but any here desparate enough to do that really ain't going to be in a harm reduction forum.

I want everyone to understand I've done a lot of drugs in my time (though not so much the last few years), and I have no track marks or anything. Why? Because new needles every time, no shooting pills etc.

I want everyone to understand I've done a lot of drugs in my time (though not so much the last few years), and I have no track marks or anything. Why? Because new needles every time, no shooting pills etc.

Exactly. I don't have many track marks, and using a new needle each time really helps.

This is why I hate living where I do - most pharmacists won't sell needles to people. There definitely are pharmacists who will, but they are few and far between in this area.