PDA

View Full Version : San Pedro Cactus?

elektro303
31-05-2009, 23:10
my friend recently found a cactus, which he says looks exactly like my san pedro cacti, only ten feet tall. i told him it might be and that he should take a picture, but last night he brought over seven feet of it, it is huge. i told him he should not have done this until we knew it was surely san pedro, but it doesn't matter now. it does look exactly like mine, it has 7 fat lobes, 4-6 spines, and is that green san pedro color, except there are little furry flower like things growing on it. are these just premature flowers? but i always thought they were supposed to have petals. i would be stoked if this was san pedro, but i would like to hear what you guys have to say. and again, i know this was a stupid thing my friend did, and believe me, i let him know. but even if it is not san pedro, it would still be a cool cactus to grow.

elektro303
31-05-2009, 23:12
for some reason, i can't post any pictures.

7ca5p
01-06-2009, 00:27
San pedro cactus can grow up to 5 meters (16ft) And peruvian torch cactus can grow up to 7 meters, so you never know, you could be in luck!

Couldn't you upload it to photobucket and post a link? I'd like to see it.

elektro303
01-06-2009, 01:49
well what about the flowers? i thought that san pedro flowers had petals. these ones are more like cotton balls. are they just pre-mature? because i know they are supposed to be fully flowered in july, and it's only late may.

jackie jones
01-06-2009, 02:09
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss259/mrjackjones/Amazing_Pedros_10565.jpg

Do the furry flowers look like the new growth on this specimen (lycaeum)?

IGNVS
01-06-2009, 02:13
7ft of pedro... nice

elektro303
01-06-2009, 08:10
they look exactly like those little furry ones in the pics. thanks. i guess now is a good time to begin an extraction.

HighonLife
02-06-2009, 05:16
yea seems like your friend had a good find and you will prob get some mescaline outta it but IMO it is a shame he just cut it down right as it was about to flower, cactus take a while to flower and when they do it is pretty kool/ beautiful. if that was someones cactus even if it was just for ornamental purposes im sure they are awfully pissed

jam uh weezy
02-06-2009, 17:35
^San Pedro commonly flower even on cuttings that have been separated from the original plant.

OP. I really hope your friend isn't stealing cacti from someones yard.