• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

"24 Year Old Parnate Addict"

mitragyna

Bluelighter
Recently I was switched over to Parnate (Tranylcypromine) from Marplan, hoping that the Parnate would be better for my extremely low motivation. I'm currently in the two-week waiting period, clearing the Marplan from my system.

I was just doing some personal research on Parnate, just to learn more about it's "stimulatory" effects. I came across a link titled "The Clinical State, Sleep and Amine Metabolism of a Tranylcypromine (`Parnate') Addict ". Apparently this dude was taking up to 700 mg a day! I had absolutely no idea that an MAOI could have such abuse potential. I could only imagine someone eating a huge chunk of Cheddar Cheese on 700 mg...probably be suicide! Here's the abstract for anyone curious:
The Clinical State, Sleep and Amine Metabolism of a Tranylcypromine (`Parnate') Addict

A twenty-four-year-old male addicted to tranylcypromine is described. He consumed up to 700 mg. daily. While taking the drug he was restless, cheerful and confident. Without it he was apprehensive and housebound.

Large tranylcypromine intake was associated with high muscle tension during sleep and sometimes abolition of the paradoxical or "rapid eye movement" phase of sleep. Drug withdrawal was associated with complaints of dreaming by day, and, by night, an immediate onset and unprecedented duration of "paradoxical" sleep, with nightmares.

The biochemical effects of tranylcypromine at the high dose levels differed significantly from those associated with therapeutic doses. Tryptamine excretion was much increased but 5-HT excretion was not. Blood levels of 5-HT showed a progressive fall, and it is suggested that this may be a result of interference by tranylcy-promine at high concentrations with uptake of 5-HT by platelets.
Could anyone with experience with Parnate comment on it's stimulant effects? I think this drug is looking promising...hopefully it will work better for my depression/anxiety than Nardil, Marplan, and Deprenyl. They were just OK.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've just found about five more articles on Parnate-addicted patients.

Last edited:
Yeah, a person I know who is way too well acquainted with such things emphasized how good Parnate was and indeed it can be for some quite addicting

These old meds were quite potent, but later deemed 'dirty' and became hard to script, though largely i think that was because the patents had run out of course :\

If i recall he said the stimulant effect was quite pronounced and that this was one of the only meds that really did anything for him

funny. you are excited about parnates abuse potential. for most people that would be daunting.;)
but i can absolutely absolutely relate to you, as it indicates that you got a quite effective med. here.:)
hopefully it will work better for my depression/anxiety than Nardil, Marplan, and Deprenyl. They were just OK.
deprenyl?
let me guess... you weren't prescribed it but ordered it online and took a dose of <20mg/day.?

i'm pretty sure that high dose deprenyl(MAO-b+MAO-a-inhibition) is at least as effective as Tranylcypromine.

but thats only a guess. something like that should always be done under the supervision of a doctor.

I ate 100 mg of the stuff once. It wasn't any fun. It just made me feel fucking weird and kinda "serotonin-ish".

funny. you are excited about parnates abuse potential. for most people that would be daunting.;)
but i can absolutely absolutely relate to you, as it indicates that you got a quite effective med. here.:)

deprenyl?
let me guess... you weren't prescribed it but ordered it online and took a dose of <20mg/day.?

i'm pretty sure that high dose deprenyl(MAO-b+MAO-a-inhibition) is at least as effective as Tranylcypromine.

but thats only a guess. something like that should always be done under the supervision of a doctor.
Not exactly "excited", as I do not plan to abuse it. More curious than anything.

And about the Deprenyl, I did not order it online. I was scripted EMSAM, 12 mg. You could certainly be right about it being as effective, but I never reached those higher doses.

For selegiline you have to consume at least 30mg to get any positive mood lift.

I dont recommend this to beginners though.

I think I would prefer "trany" to this selegiline stuff, although ive still not tried it yet.

^Wow, I didn't think you had to go that high.

While we're on the subject of Parnate, I thought I'd ask this question:

I've been off Marplan right now for about 1 week. Whenever I have to get off an MAOI, I feel like whale shit at the bottom of an ocean, for a couple weeks+. What are the chances of something "bad" happening if I started the Parnate now and only waited one week instead of two? When I switched from Marplan to Nardil, I was only off the Nardil three days until I started the Marplan (and I was absolutely fine). But then again, they are both Hydrazine derivatives so that switch may be safer than Marplan to Parnate.

Last edited:
Marplan looks like a good nootropic/antidepressant.

Is there any particular reason why you decided to switch to nardil?

Please tell me how tranyl compares to these hydrazine MAOIs. Which you prefer and why.

Marplan looks like a good nootropic/antidepressant.

Is there any particular reason why you decided to switch to nardil?

Please tell me how tranyl compares to these hydrazine MAOIs. Which you prefer and why.
What makes you say that Marplan has good nootropic qualities?

Well I actually went from Emsam (Selegeline), to Nardil, to Marplan, and now Parnate soon. I switched from Nardil to Marplan because I gained a lot of weight during that period while I was on it. So my Psychiatrist thought it may be due to the Nardil...so he switched me to Marplan, as he said it's known to have fewer side effects such as weight gain. But I was gaining just as much weight on the Marplan. Eventually, it came to my attention that it was the Lyrica that was causing this weight gain (I was on it the whole time). But Lyrica is so damn helpful for my anxiety, I just can't risk getting off of it for the time being.

I'm switching to Parnate from the Marplan since Parnate tends to be a bit more stimulating and motivating...which is exactly what I need! I will certainly keep updated once I start the Parnate.

What is the combination with selegine and some other chemical (i believe a very simple amino acid) that converts to METHAMP?

Can this do the same thing?

MAOI's are interesting regardless. I'm thinking of investing in one and trying the above combo. Also as a vegan I don't have to worry as much about the whole food interaction thing.

Something unique about this from wiki: "Some studies indicate that it is reversible,[2] taking 30 days to reverse its binding,[citation needed] which makes it irreversible for all practical purposes."

Wow, 30 days! Strange considering its 8 hour half life.

-lenses

What is the combination with selegine and some other chemical (i believe a very simple amino acid) that converts to METHAMP?

Can this do the same thing?

MAOI's are interesting regardless. I'm thinking of investing in one and trying the above combo. Also as a vegan I don't have to worry as much about the whole food interaction thing.

Something unique about this from wiki: "Some studies indicate that it is reversible,[2] taking 30 days to reverse its binding,[citation needed] which makes it irreversible for all practical purposes."

Wow, 30 days! Strange considering its 8 hour half life.

-lenses

it is an irreversible inhibitor, the 30 days comes from new MAO being made. wiki is so very 'unique' at times. :|
also the (plasma) half life is pretty irrelevant.

Selegiline itself metabolises to methamphetamine, unfortunately l methamphetamine the wrong isomer.

-lenses

I'm fairly certain that what you are referring to is the combination of selegiline and phenethylamine, which although doesn't 'convert' to methamp, for all intents and purposes acts in the same fashion as methamp.

Alternatively you can try dl-phenylalanine but I find that jittery and less euphoric. It would be unwise to try the above combos with Parnate, as you may get a hypertensive crisis due to norepinephrine buildup (from MAO A inhibition).

I just started a course of tranyl today. (date 5/8/9)

The only concern I have with it right now is what is hepatotoxicity?

50mg per day is a reasonable dose, but on Saturday night I needed lots of vodka to wash it down with.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that what you are referring to is the combination of selegiline and phenethylamine, which although doesn't 'convert' to methamp, for all intents and purposes acts in the same fashion as methamp.

Would phentermine act the same as phenethylamine combined with selegiline for this purpose or completely different?

Last edited:
Search inside yourself. Go to an AA meeting if you have to, but if you have an addictive personality, don't take parnate. I didn't realize that I was an addict until well after I started taking parnate. Now I abuse it, and I have a constant sense of impending doom. That's just me, though. Know yourself, be honest.

You abuse Parnate? At what doses? What exactly does it feel like for you? Any other history of addiction?

It doesnt interfere with appetite or the ability to sleep.

Additionally, it can prevent the condition of masturbating too frequently.

I think it's fascinating that tranylcypromine was developed as the cyclopropyl analogue of amphetamine. In fact, it acts as a dopamine and norepinephrine releasing agent at about a tenth of the potency as amphetamine, according to the Wiki.

I feel like whale shit at the bottom of an ocean

Whale shit is quite buoyant:

NSFW:
1190300221_3b16c559a6.jpg

Tranylcypromine is known to be euphoric even in euthymic ("normal") people.

It can have nasty withdrawal effects, though--much like other MAOIs.

If you're amotivational, you may want to try amisulpride with sub-antipsychotic doses (~50mg/day). It's an indirect dopaminergic useful for anergic states and much less dangerous than an unselective, irreversible amphetamine-like MAOI.