Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Undiscovered Gems of Movies

Captain Flaps

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I've been thinking for some time that there are some EXCELLENT movies out there that aren't very well publiscised or even well known>

So does anyone have a recommendation about a little-known movie that is a real gem?

My vote has to go with 'Straight Time' which is an early 70's movie starring Dustin Hoffman as an ex-con trying to go straight, despite an asshole parole officer and a junkie friend. Hffman and a friend end up committing a series of armed robberies as he can't hold down a job.

A truly excellent movie that has that gritty '70's feel - if you haven't already seen it, get a copy ASAP :)

Cheers,
Chris

One that I used to put on every year at Halloween was Trick or Treat (released in the 80s). It had an amazing soundtrack by a band called Fastway, and cameo appearances by Gene Simmons as a DJ and OzzY Osbourne as a priest. The story was that this rocker guy got a promo copy of the last album by a rock legend called Sammy Curr who died in a fire. He soon plays it backwards and old sammy comes back for a bit of rock n roll revenge. I still play the soundtrack from it. Its excellent. %)

cameo appearances by Gene Simmons as a DJ and OzzY Osbourne as a priest.

Seriously?! Now that's what I call a movie! ;)

Panic In Needle Park is also a great movie starring Al Pacino and Katy Winn (mmmm) as 2 drug addicts in '70's New York. Really excellent movie, warts 'n' all.

Also Straw Dogs mainly because the tension which builds between the wimpy Dustin Hoffman and the local Welsh yokels after they rape his wife (played by the scrumptious Susan George)
The simply don't make movies like they used to :(

Snaggletooth, I gotr you PM but can yet reply... if you'd like to chat about cult movies sometimes plz. PM me :)

I have a growing collection on DVD-R which you might like to swap?

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:
Yeah, thanx Chris. Doin pretty well myself in terms of movies. Rapidshare serves me well =D Had an account for 3 years with them and got many many hard drives bursting at the seams. %) ;)

Yeah, thanx Chris. Doin pretty well myself in terms of movies. Rapidshare serves me well =D Had an account for 3 years with them and got many many hard drives bursting at the seams. %) ;)

Damn.... I think I'll have to invest in a couple of 1 TB hard drives then ;)

Without saying too much, do you have access to HD movie downloads?

Just though of another 2 great movies ' The Pit & The Pendulum' (scary guy who played Bishop in Aliens) and Flesh & Blood with Rutger Hauer

*** Does anyone know about an early 80's movie where it was a post-apocoplypic earth where people were riding around on mototbikes, fighting giant scorpions? Can't remember the name and haven't seen it in years ****

41407DFN6WL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Two misfit girls meet, then murder an old lady - for fun. The film unfolds in flashback as a court psychiatrist and a reporter probe the girls' motives (past in colour, present in grainy blue and white).

imdb

Here's one of my favourite clips from the film. You can actually watch the entire thing on youtube if the fancy takes you.

Anyhoo, this was one of those films I loved as a teenager. I watched it again and again because I thought it was so great. But what you think as a teenager, doesn't neccessarily carry through to adulthood. But I watched it fairly recently, and it still got me. Just in different ways I guess.

There's some excellent dialogue and observations throughout the film which are one of it's strongest points. The two leads (Alicia Witt & Renée Humphrey) are also pretty damn good.

Damn.... I think I'll have to invest in a couple of 1 TB hard drives then ;)

Without saying too much, do you have access to HD movie downloads?

I do yes. But at 4GB+ a movie it kinda puts the brakes on that. They usually come as an ".MKV" file as well, so you can only watch them on a PC as far as i know. I have an upscaler, stand alone Blu-Ray machine that upscales .avi DVDRIPs quite well. So Im happy enough with that for now.

Of the movies in my all time top ten "When You Comin" Back, Red Ryder" is the most obscure. You can watch it online here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...50705689839930

By the way, don't adjust your volume at the start. There's no sound or music with the opening credits. The sound kicks in when the movie starts. It's a brilliant movie and Marjoe Gortner's dialogue is gold. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Never heard of this one but just discovered it by accident: Clear History (HBOmax)...didn't get great reviews but I think it's hilarious. If you like dry humor and/or dark humor this one is a winner.

Magic (1978) starring Anthony Hopkins as a failed magician turned ventriloquist. Except the dummy is not under his control!!!! The dummy is quite rude and eventually becomes a knife murderer without Anthony Hopkins consent. Very creepy.

Alligator aka The Great Alligator River (1979) from director Sergio Martino.

Ok so the alligator is the worst part of the film. It's not realistic or scary, but the rest of the film makes up for it.

The music is awesome, the film itself is beautiful, and once the foreigners anger the locals' river God aka the alligator it gets really creepy and they hunt down and kill all of the foreigners. Very awesome flick!!

Girl Slaves of Morgana Le Fay (1971)

Awesome French flick about two girls who become trapped in an unreal parallel domain ruled by morgana le fey.

Beautiful film. Great music. Hot lesbian action. Features a creepy dwarf.

A very gripping tale of dreams, witchcraft, immortality, obsession, lesbian witches, beauty, and even hints at French ballet.

Very cool!!

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

Amazing movie.

For me korean'd movies are sickest,than all."I saw the devil"...all movies of geat Kim Kee Duk...especially "Moebious"..."Pieta" is also greatit's pure poetry.cinematography is on highest level,actors also......Chen Wuk Park is another freak....there is horror,vengeance in eastern type....love&hate...."parasite" even got some "Oskar".....strange people those koreans..
From serials-"Black mirror"the english serrial

I think "Black Mirror" definitely falls into the category of "discovered" at this point...I agree regarding "I Saw the Devil", though, as well as "The Chaser" from 2008, which was also an awesome suspense film from South Korea...you think going into it that it'll be just a typical suspense/horror film or something, but then it veers off into social/political issues in South Korea and uses some very interesting pacing choices for the story. Check it out if you haven't seen it

I haven't seen Parasite yet but I really want to at some point

One kind of obscure subgenre of film from Asia I used to think was interesting was the genre of "pinky violence" films distributed by Japanese producers like Toei during the 1970s. I always thought it was interesting that the films often included themes involving "girl power"-kinda themes, generalized glamorization of rebellion, homosexuality, drug use and other elements that were probably seen as counter-cultural in conservative Japanese society

Here's a plot description from one of the "Delinquent Girl Boss" films:

Rika (Reiko Oshida) after being released from reform school decides to go straight, getting a job at a laundrette. However, after being molested by the owner, she moves on instead to work in a bar where she is reunited with her reform school friends. All is not well though and the local yakuza are constantly threatening the bar and sponsor a rival girl gang to hassle them. When it is discovered that the yakuza with help from the rival girl gang have been pushing drugs on one of her friend’s junkie sisters, Rika decides she needs to make a stand and leads her gang to raid the yakuza and put a stop to things.

Blossoming Night Dreams was Toei’s first proper foray into the pinky violence genre, and despite some uncertainty on tone, it is largely very successful. Opposing the somewhat happy-girl-lucky gang running the bar is an urban grittiness of dingy backstreets and drug addiction. The portrayal of drugs in film was still very controversial at the time in the Japan and the fact that the film tackles the issue so head on really makes it stand out. It is incredibly similar to Worthless to Confess in many ways, but is somewhat let down by the ending where instead of a violent sword-slashing finale, the final fight falls a bit flat with none of the gang members never really using their weapons to their full effect.

I remember one of my favorites was "Terrifying Girls High School: Lynch Law Classroom" (lol gotta love those weirdly translated Japanese titles) The covers of the films often had a distinctive lurid, tacky and "retro" aesthetic that was kind of cool

s-l640.jpg