PDA

View Full Version : (heroin) Heroin and Menstrual Cycle

Pages : [1] 2

Katzenfreundin
25-05-2009, 00:51
I have been using Heroin for 8 months now and for the past 4 months my menstrual cycle has stopped completely. I was just wondering if anyone had some comments on this, for example: Is this normal? Can I still get pregnant? If so, is it safe to use birth control? What exactly is going on..am I still producing eggs, etc.? If I ever quit using Heroin will my menstrual cycle return to normal?
Thanks.

HighonLife
25-05-2009, 09:21
well first off are you positive you arent pregnant? if heroin is stopping your menstral cycle then that is probably a good idea to stop using and seek medical attention. I am not i doctor or anyone with an excess of knowledge about the female redproductive tract but being not able to reproduce is probably something you will regret later.

Eight0Eight
25-05-2009, 11:20
Why does heroin stop girls getting periods?

I've wondered this for a while.

I know it really upset several females users that I have known in the past.

FrostyMcFailure
25-05-2009, 12:53
mmhmm, many a dope girl i've been with has stated irregularities in menstrual cycle caused by continued opiate use but taking anyone besides your gyno/doctor's word for it would be foolish so please reread:
well first off are you positive you arent pregnant? if heroin is stopping your menstral cycle then that is probably a good idea to stop using and seek medical attention. I am not i doctor or anyone with an excess of knowledge about the female redproductive tract but being not able to reproduce is probably something you will regret later. && good luck.

brutus
25-05-2009, 22:06
Perhaps go to a doctor? Sounds like you are pregnent.

StaffWriter
25-05-2009, 22:55
Since last february (a year ago), I only get mine every two months. I've been on Suboxone since that June, but this began 4 months before I got on subs and it continues today. Strange. Must be a hormonal thing.

lovelyavacado
25-05-2009, 23:17
i've always had a really regular cycle. since starting heroin particularly (i never had any changes with any other opiates, and ive been using regularly for about 10 years, about a year for heroin), my cycle has been totally fucked up. i'm usually late about a week 1/2 or two minimum. it totally freaks out my boyfriend. either way though, you should definitely get a preggers test.

Captain.Heroin
25-05-2009, 23:26
If you're on heroin and your period stops, ask yourself; did you lose a lot of weight? If your body is emaciated, it might have given up having its cycle until you're not malnourished. Most H users give up a lot of things to get more H...though not every H user is the same cliche stick figure.

lovelyavacado
26-05-2009, 09:42
you know, somehow i didnt consider this connection. i am pretty malnourished. example: earlier today i was too dope sick to eat or be able to sleep, and then we acquired some, and i forgot about eating after that. hmm.. i should be better about regular meals, am always telling myself this, but i still feel fat. that doesnt really encourage me to eat when im not hungry.

a100unitSHOT
26-05-2009, 22:03
Word, that would be my guess too. I assume it's kinda like the same reason that anorexic/bulimic females don't get thier period...

PharmTech09
26-05-2009, 22:21
I would go with the malnourished idea, but I don't think I will ever get a period seeing as I am a man. :D

Desdenova
27-05-2009, 04:53
I would go with the malnourished idea, but I don't think I will ever get a period seeing as I am a man. :D

What really would be a problem is if you did get it

lovelyavacado
27-05-2009, 05:09
...but I don't think I will ever get a period seeing as I am a man. :D

psh, you lucky jerk you... :p

mararies20
27-05-2009, 05:29
wow..you beat me to it missy! I was going to ask the same question and start up a whole new thread about this..but yeah...same question I have....if anyone has any medical explanation for this, I would greatly appreciate it...I kinda googled it and found this site http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/cu/cu4.html
which is the effects of heroin in a human body but there was still no specifics as to why that happens, but my guess is just that Heroin fucks up so many things in your body, and also the lifestyle ..like mentioned before..malnutrition..all those combined... that's just a recipe for disaster...or not menstruating. I was reading also that if the Heroin addiction is long enough , it can cause the woman to never have a baby! ...urgh
IME I have been on H for about 8 months and stopped my period about 2 months ago, and I'm freaking out! that's why I'm getting myself into a meth clinic right when I get back from vacation, which is june 11th! urgh I can't wait to get off this shit!
But good luck with your recovery and I hope you are thinking about it since you see how much damage you are causing your body! :D

lovelyavacado
27-05-2009, 08:27
...if anyone has any medical explanation for this, I would greatly appreciate it...I kinda googled it and found this site http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/LIBRARY/studies/cu/cu4.html
which is the effects of heroin in a human body but there was still no specifics as to why that happens, but my guess is just that Heroin fucks up so many things in your body, and also the lifestyle ..like mentioned before..malnutrition..all those combined... that's just a recipe for disaster...or not menstruating. I was reading also that if the Heroin addiction is long enough , it can cause the woman to never have a baby! ...urgh

i know regularly IVing isnt the healthiest thing in the world, by any means, but i'm totally lost in why you linked that article. especially the particular page. it specifically works to debunk the earlier studies. it basically takes like a gazillion words to tell you heroin doesnt have any longstanding adverse effects on your body. maybe i just read the wrong page, or am not understanding you properly, but... wha?

LucyFur
28-05-2009, 18:45
it´s pretty common if you´re a heavy user.. this DOES NOT mean you can´t get pregnant!!

lovelyavacado
28-05-2009, 23:13
does anyone else understand the relation to the article mararies20 linked to and the post she made? i was hoping she'd respond, but i seriously either dont understand or am missing something. ANYbody? i just need an explanation, or something. i'm totally lost here....

paupiedequincey
05-06-2009, 12:10
Ive been using heavily for the last 5 years. My period stopped about 6mos in.. I have had it about once or twice a year since, usually when I slow down or have tried to quit. Basically it takes about a month for it to come back.. although I have had it when I have just cut way back to like a bag a day.. I am absolutely not a doctor or anything but I dont really see the harm in it.
additionally, I am certain is is just the dope as I have actually gained weight over the last few years.. I am a pretty healthy weight.. 5 3 and 130lbs.. I eat very healthy..salads and fruit and all organic protein every day but I also drink about a 6pk of beer every day so that is were the weight comes from I am pretty sure..

its crazy thinking about it really.. you would NEVER know from looking at me that I am a long time user and addict. I am 27 yrs old, ivy league educated (with a masters degree) and have a very good professional job.
I have been using off an on for 12 years..a bundle a day since 2003.
Oye Vey!

dankstersauce
05-06-2009, 23:14
I'm not a chick but I do have experience with this.
My ex and me used to shoot dope everyday. After a few months my ex just stopped having her period. So we freaked out, bought a bunch of otc pregnancy tests and they all came back negative. And pretty much every day that we shot heroin, we were having unprotected sex..completely unprotected no pills, no condom, no pull out..so it was some scary shit but as the months passed by we got clean and no pregnancy. And I assume she got her period back eventually (i'm not sure, our storybook romance ended when we both got arrested and stopped talkin to each other). :)

edit: neither of us was overly malnourished. she was like 5'6 125lbs or so. well i guess we were eating a good portion of food, just not healthy food. I think the lifestyle of being a junkie throws off your bodies natural chemistry.

nothing
06-06-2009, 09:05
I can't really answer any of your questions. But I can tell you the same thing has happened to me. I've been doing h for around a year and the last time I had my period was about 4 monthes ago and before that one it had been 5 monthes. I read somewhere that a common side effect of heroin addiction is irregular periods. So I think were okay

nothing
06-06-2009, 09:12
Ps I eat normally and am a healthy weight so I don't think malnutrition is much of a factor

lyssababyy!
30-07-2009, 14:58
I am so glad i did a search for this topic n found this site with ur posts. I have been using on n off for 8 months now also n i have not had my period for over 4 n 1/2 months now,, which was also around the same time that i stopped taking 'the pill' so i have been really freaked out. i have taken several tests,, and all but the last two said negative. I recently bought the most expensive ones possible n of course both said error,, lol. I plan to still go to the dr. just to completely try to rule it out.. but reading wat u all have said it sounds like were in the same situation..

but i was wondering,, do u still get cramps like ur getting it or has ur stomach felt different? thats wat has made me really freaked out..

Miss Hollywood
01-08-2009, 08:37
When I was using heroin heavily my period stopped completely,pretty common from my experience and from what I've learned from other female addicts!But if you have had unprotected sex recently,you are still at risk of being pregnant.Get a pregnancy test just to be safe.

ERIN8681
30-10-2009, 23:05
i used herion for about 2 years. i am a 28 yr old female. i stopped getting my period after about 7 months of use. i have been clean and taking methadone(which has saved my life and i encourage anyone who is in trouble to PLEASE try it!!) for 93 days. i just got my period for the first time in over a year last week. though it is not like my "normal" period, i do have some bleeding. i have been told that it should return to normal after a while, its different for everyone. however, your period will probably not return until you stop the use of drugs, but i dont believe that there are any long term negative effects of not getting your period. get a preg. test just to be sure if you are sexually active. i hope this helps anyone with questions, this was just my experience. by the way, I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER!!! i never thought i would ever be abe to quit, i needed it to much. im so glad i gave methadone a chance. please try it, what else do you have to lose??( that your not losing or have lost already, right?) god bless and be carefull, remember you are the only one that can save YOU

mushis021
31-10-2009, 01:10
i don't have a medical explanation; i'm not a doctor, but i've had the same problem in the past when i use opiates for a long time. i've gone at least 6 months without having a cycle before.

i really doubt you could get prego when you're not havin your cycle regularly, but i think it also depends on your size and weight. i never used protection the 3 years i was with my last b/f, and i was in the same situation...never got close to bein pregnant

shoolameet
31-10-2009, 05:43
For the past couple of months I have been abusing methadone and oxy, percs, and vikes before that for a while. On the percs, vikes, and oxys I was as regular as ever, but since starting to abuse the methadone my period has completely stopped. I am going on about 2 months now of no flow.

I am 22 years old, 98 lbs., and 5 foot 1 inch. I have lost a little bit of weight recently, but only about 5 lbs. I have read that irregular menstrual flow is a common side effect of methadone, so I haven't been to worried and even my therapist said my period would eventually come back. I have also been extremely stressed and depressed lately, so this could also be playing a part in my period stopping.

Obviously this is a common side effect of opiates in general, not just H and I don't think it's anything to be too worried about.

Northside
31-10-2009, 11:08
When I was on dope or methadone mine stopped too. When I finally kicked it took another 9 months for it to come back.
Logically you'd think you were safe from unwanted pregnancy if you're not menstruating but I would NOT take the chance.

LunaInFurs
02-11-2009, 20:00
I ve been using heroin/methadone on and off for a little over 10 years now ( i am 29 years old) and there was a period when I did not menstruate for 3 and a half years . I think there was one incident where I had a mild spotting problem. So yes, heroin use will mess with your cycle, but dont be too happy about that. If you are not getting your period monthly that means that something in your body is off balance. And yes , you can get pregnant , so try to use some form of birth control. Between shooting tons of heroin and being in general careless about birth control I got very careless and ended up having 2 children. On the other hand , once I got on methadone , everything went back to normal, so unless there are other issues involved , you should be fine once you stop using.

Rogue Robot
03-11-2009, 02:06
Just because you aren't actually menstruating doesn't mean you aren't ovulating. When you change your body chemistry, even just a little, it can cause a disruption in your menstrual cycle. You're adding a different stress to your body. As some have said, yes, you can still get pregnant. If you're on hormonal birth control, keep taking it. I, also, had this happen to me several times in my life when I was bingeing on miscellaneous drugs over the years.

Princess_Poppy
03-11-2009, 05:49
i have been using for over two years now. for the past year i haven't gone w/o an opiate for 72 hours, and for the past 6 months i haven't gone 24 hours. i still get my period though. i am on birth control though, don't know if that makes a difference.

Papaver
03-11-2009, 09:42
For a Medical opinion....

Some basics on your monthly.....\

Menstruation is the periodic (usually monthly) shedding of the lining of the uterus that occurs under the influence of hormones. Hormones control ovulation (release of an egg from the ovary), the development of the endometrium (uterine lining), and menses (monthly flow). Appropriate hormones in adequate amounts and released in the proper sequence are necessary for the monthly pattern to continue. Without normal hormonal functioning ovulation does not take place, disrupting the normal monthly pattern.

"True"Periodic, monthly bleeding can only result following ovulation, since it is this event that promotes progesterone production and decline two weeks later, bringing on menses.

For many women, "the period" simply means vaginal bleeding without regard to the pattern of bleeding. In this sense, it is possible to bleed without ovulating, but the bleeding will be irregular. This is known as dysfunctional uterine bleeding or anovulatory bleeding. Anovulatory bleeding varies in flow, duration, and schedule, and often is mistaken for a menstrual period.

Now to directly answer the questions. Heroin and other opiate/opiod meds certainly can cause irregularity in menstration sometimes to the point of complete cessation (though not permanently). Hormonal balance is important to a regular cycle.

In my experience It typically manifests itself as breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods most often. So it can cause you to be overactive or not at all. I dont have this issue (born w penis), however I would think going without would be preferrable. Ive worked on alot of women who go to great lengths to eliminate breakthough/anovulatory

CrystalMethod2009
03-11-2009, 10:18
The pituitary gland is part of the brain that affects biological functions regarding sexual function. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pituitary_gland

It's apparent(and a logical conclusion) that heroin (a central nervous system depressant) affects this part of the brain as well, basically shutting down it's functions.

I also found this study. I hope it helps your understanding. http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/BIB/ZH/zhark1.htm

StaffWriter
03-11-2009, 20:18
Since last february (a year ago), I only get mine every two months. I've been on Suboxone since that June, but this began 4 months before I got on subs and it continues today. Strange. Must be a hormonal thing.

Months after writing this, I now have a period every 2 weeks (fun, I know). Opiates most definitely cause a disruption as far as a woman's period is concerned. I guess now the Suboxone is doing it. I should go to the doctor just to rule out any other reason for this imbalance. I suggest anyone else having these problems do the same.

Jen66
04-01-2010, 20:12
First, I am not a Dr but I was doing some searching today & I read that opiates block the chemical called dopamine in the brain & this can cause your prolactin to rise which in turn can make your cycles irregular or just stop your period altogether. If your prolactin is too high, you don't ovulate.

If you aren't having a period then it is extremely unlikely that you will get pregnant as you are PROBABLY not ovulating. It's ovulation that brings on your period when you DON'T get pregnant because the lining in your uterus begins to thicken AFTER you ovulate & when you don't get pg, the lining sheds & you get your period thus beginning a new cycle.

I don't know for sure because as I said, I am NOT a DR. but I would think that your cycles would go back to being normal after you stop the heroin.

I hope this helps & good luck to you.

Jen

PendulumAM
04-01-2010, 21:05
When I started heroin, it made my period stop right away. I had my period for a day right around when I started dope, and then the next day it stopped. I had been doing oxy's and roxies before that so I was already kind of malnourished, and it got worse with dope. I'm 5'1 and I started at 115 pounds and went down to 95. I stopped doing dope after 8 days by using roxies again, and then had to quit everything cold turkey the day after. My period started normal again soon after. Now i'm clean and back up to 110 pounds and hopefully reversing all the crap that opiates did to me. I never worried about being pregnant because I've been on the nuvaring for a while.

drunken_etard
05-01-2010, 01:25
Its very common for opiates addicts to have very odd menstrual cycles and to not even have one. Like everyone else stated your body is in distress and does not feel like its in the right health for having a kid. Once you quit it should return back to normal.

My ex Gf was kinda lucky she never lost her cycle while addicted. But it was kinda odd , sometimes only once every 2 months and such.

woamotive
05-01-2010, 04:15
I've always been irregular-however I find that with opiates, my weight drops even more furthering the irregularity of my cycle. Are you underweight ?

Tech User
06-01-2010, 02:51
well first off are you positive you arent pregnant? if heroin is stopping your menstral cycle then that is probably a good idea to stop using and seek medical attention. I am not i doctor or anyone with an excess of knowledge about the female redproductive tract but being not able to reproduce is probably something you will regret later.

Jesus CHRIST , dont scare the girl. . .you will be fine! my girl would have probably 2 or 3 maybe 4 cycles a YEAR when she was usin dope everyday. doctor said it was normal for heroin addicts!

and i am going to look into this more, but for now all i got to say is couple more months of use and gettin pregnant will prob be out of the question cause of lack of sex drive:) . . and if it isnt recreational sex then you should definately be using a condom anyway. . .

good luck
Technical User

Tech User
06-01-2010, 02:52
If I ever quit using Heroin will my menstrual cycle return to normal?
Thanks.

and YES, it will return quite qwickly and probably quite heavy if it has been a few months

allmostclean
26-11-2010, 22:11
I used h for the last 4 years. After 2 months of heavy use my periods stopped completely! I'm 45yrs old and thought I went into menopause. I'm NOT sexually active so I'm not pregnant. A year ago I got on methadone and was still using h. I quit using h in September 2010 and I'm now detoxing from methadone. I started bleeding Tues. like I was having my period and freaked out! I was pretty sure it was the lack of h in my system that let me start menstruating again? After reading your posts I feel I'm not alone in this. Nobody knows I used so nobody knows what I'm going through except at the clinic I go to. Like others, I didn't think I could ever stop but I did!!!! You can too, good luck.

DexterMeth
26-11-2010, 22:30
Pregnant on heroin? Jesus christ. Use a condom.

Janalied
19-12-2011, 00:38
So I think I’m unfertile (can't have babies) I have been pregnant before but I had a really bad miscarriage.
I don’t want kids yet, me and my fiancé aren't ready at all. But he has cam in me a million times! I can't count how many times...
And nothing ever happens I get my rag once a month still...
I have done heroin for over 2 years now don’t really know how long,
could that make it so I can't ever have a baby
or just temporary
cause I'm 7 days clean now...
I just want to know if my option for having a family is gone and I’m only 19 years young?
And if heroin stops some girls from having their period.
wtf is up with me
I have my period but its is unusual some times I have 2 short ones a month like 3 days long and some times I have 1 a month that lasts like 2 weeks.
I have really bad cramps and sometimes it makes me puke.
I sometimes ball my eyes out cause it hurts sooooo bad in my back and lower tummy.

BuddingPharmacist
19-12-2011, 01:24
Here is what happens:

Opiates destroy the endocrine system, sometimes permanently with prolonged use.

In men and women, opiates heavily suppress hormones. This is causing your issue.

This isn't something to be proud of. You need to get off or risk becoming sterile if it is doing this much to you.

thizFreckles
19-12-2011, 01:32
i was gonna post this exact question to see if there was anybody else like me. guess there is! ha... well i've been using oxycontin everyday for about a year and a half. & the past 6 months my period has stopped completely also... i also have gotten a bit skinnier due to my usage so that could be part of it...

verso
19-12-2011, 02:15
Here is what happens:

Opiates destroy the endocrine system, sometimes permanently with prolonged use.

In men and women, opiates heavily suppress hormones. This is causing your issue.

This isn't something to be proud of. You need to get off or risk becoming sterile if it is doing this much to you.

Wait, what? Opiates permanently destroy the endocrine system? Could you explain how, exactly? And could you link me to the research articles? Because before we worry anyone unnecessarily, I think that it's important to make clear whether or not opiates permanently destroy the endocrine system or merely suppress it for a period of time.

thizFreckles
19-12-2011, 03:17
^^ yes please explain...!

BuddingPharmacist
19-12-2011, 19:14
Wait, what? Opiates permanently destroy the endocrine system? Could you explain how, exactly? And could you link me to the research articles? Because before we worry anyone unnecessarily, I think that it's important to make clear whether or not opiates permanently destroy the endocrine system or merely suppress it for a period of time.

^^ yes please explain...!

Sure.

Before I link some articles, I'll use myself as an example. I abused opiates for 6 years, and now my testosterone never goes above 150. Normal is 300-800. I'm only 22, and my endocrinologist says I'm screwed for life in this regard. I have to take testosterone supplements to even feel normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1821355/

Partial text, same idea:
http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c4462.full

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4462565

CLIFF NOTES ON ALL THIS: Opiates fuck up the endocrine system, suppressing and even wiping it out.

Long term use of opiates = Impotence, testicular shrinkage, lack of desire, and everything else associated with people who's sex hormones are low.

I'm an example. Permanently damaged...

Something to keep in mind before abusing these things.

verso
20-12-2011, 00:29
I could be missing it, but none of these articles seem to explicitly state, or even strongly suggest, that opiate use/abuse leads to a permanently damaged endocrine system...

In the first article, it states, "During withdrawal from opiates and cocaine, the HPA axis is activated which may reinforce relapse behavior" which seems to suggest that in fact the opposite is true, that the endocrine system is suppressed but re-activated once the drugs are removed.

In the second article, those with hypogonadism are receiving on-going treatment with opiates, so of course their endocrine system would not reactivate.

In the third article, opiates are cited only as a contributor to endocrine complications for those with HIV.

To be honest, man, I'm just not convinced. I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to go out on a limb here for a minute and say that, in your case, there's likely something else going on. You're young still, so I'm not sure why exactly this might be the case for someone like you, but having low testosterone is not all that uncommon a thing.

Opiates have been widely-studied and there's been nothing at all that I've ever come across that would even seem to suggest any lasting damage from opiates, not to the endocrine system or otherwise. There would be complications, perhaps, from IV use and perhaps hemorrhoids from the severe constipation... but a permanently-destroyed endocrine system? I just don't think so... I really don't.

BuddingPharmacist
20-12-2011, 00:36
I could be missing it, but none of these articles seem to explicitly state, or even strongly suggest, that opiate use/abuse leads to a permanently damaged endocrine system...

In the first article, it states, "During withdrawal from opiates and cocaine, the HPA axis is activated which may reinforce relapse behavior" which seems to suggest that in fact the opposite is true, that the endocrine system is suppressed but re-activated once the drugs are removed.

In the second article, those with hypogonadism are receiving on-going treatment with opiates, so of course their endocrine system would not reactivate.

In the third article, opiates are cited only as a contributor to endocrine complications for those with HIV.

To be honest, man, I'm just not convinced. I'm not a doctor, but I'm going to go out on a limb here for a minute and say that, in your case, there's likely something else going on. You're young still, so I'm not sure why exactly this might be the case for someone like you, but having low testosterone is not all that uncommon a thing.

Opiates have been widely-studied and there's been nothing at all that I've ever come across that would even seem to suggest any lasting damage from opiates, not to the endocrine system or otherwise. There would be complications, perhaps, from IV use and perhaps hemorrhoids from the severe constipation... but a permanently-destroyed endocrine system? I just don't think so... I really don't.

Well, the way my endocrinologist explained it to me is like this: When the natural levels of hormones like testosterone are suppressed for a long period of time, sometimes the body gets used to only making small amounts.

My doctor says he sees it all the time in long-term opiate addicts or people who needed to use pharmaceutical opiates for persistent pain. Back when I was at a methadone clinic, the three head physicians also said something similar. They said a lot of their patients had lasting problems with their endocrinology after stopping the use of methadone, even up to ten years later.

BuddingPharmacist
20-12-2011, 00:42
If you wanted, I'm sure I could speak to my endocrinologist in a week or two and see if he can point me to more studies like these.

Another thing to consider is this:

Because opiates squash the natural hormones of the body, people can be mis-diagnosed as naturally low on these hormones. Then these people go out and get pharmaceutical hormone replacements, which would only make the recovery of natural hormone levels worse.

People who take testosterone to body-build often end up with little or no testosterone of their own, right?

Even after being off all forms of opiates for a year and being on nothing, my testosterone levels only went up 100 points maximum. My doctor firmly places the blame on opiates, and keeps telling me that they wrecked my endocrinology.

Regardless of whether or not opiates cause long term damage, opiates DO seemingly destroy hormones while using them (short term), and could take a while to recover.

This is why the TS is missing periods, and is why males and females who are using opiates generally feel no sexual urge to have sex.

After short usage of opiates, people seem to have a sharp uptake in sexual desire. Especially after withdrawal. Perhaps this is the endocrinology returning to normal in those people?

I am not speaking lies. I am speaking what I have been told by one of the best endocrinologists in the state of Utah.