Bluelighter
Injecting ecstasy ups danger

rosestory.jpg

0,,6618810,00.jpg

AT a loss . . . Gerry and Neville Bebendorf's daughter Rosie had needle
marks on her arm.

Matthew Fynes-Clinton

May 11, 2009 12:00am

HEALTH experts are alarmed that drug users are injecting ecstasy, with an autopsy revealing the practice may have killed Brisbane woman Rosie Bebendorf.

Queensland Health clinical forensic medicine unit director Bob Hoskins said injecting was "a guaranteed way of maximising the unwanted effects of ecstasy".

That included heart attack, extremely high blood pressure and uncontrollable fitting – all of which could lead to death.

Ms Bebendorf, 28, died at her boyfriend's home about 6.30am on New Year's Day, after consuming an unconfirmed number of pills allegedly bought hours earlier at a Fortitude Valley nightclub.

But in establishing her death from MDMA (ecstasy) toxicity, an autopsy report received by Ms Bebendorf's parents highlights two injection marks on her arm.

"The needle marks on the crook of the right elbow, which were fresh – a few hours old – could be the site where the drug was administered," a government pathologist states.

The findings are especially chilling in that they might explain how even a small quantity of ecstasy pills can be lethal.

While reports suggest Ms Bebendorf took as few as two tablets, most drugs given intravenously have three to five times their oral potency.

"If you inject something into the bloodstream, it will start off being very much more concentrated than it could ever have been if it was taken orally," Dr Hoskins said.

Shooting up ecstasy appears to be rare, with just 1 per cent of users favouring the method, according to the Federal Government's 2008 Ecstasy and Related Drugs Reporting System.

But, in other surveys, up to one in five users have admitted to injecting it at least once.

When swallowed, MDMA is known to gradually raise blood pressure and heart rate.

Pine Rivers Private Hospital alcohol and drug program director John Saunders said this escalation was rapid after intravenous use.

"The heart rate can increase so much that it can't be sustained, and basically just expires," he said. Professor Saunders said injecting MDMA could also create acute anxiety and psychosis, infections and life-threatening clots.

Ms Bebendorf's mother Gerry said the autopsy report had only amplified the tragedy, and mystery, behind her loss.

She believed it was "very unlikely (Rosie) injected herself" with the fatal dose of ecstasy, although she had known for some time that her daughter took speed intravenously.

Since her death, a friend of Rosie had mentioned that dealers would inject it into her.

"She just didn't like needles," Mrs Bebendorf said. "So someone has injected her. Whether it was the dealer, or somebody else, I wouldn't like to speculate."

A Justice Department spokesman said police were finalising their report for the coroner on Ms Bebendorf's death.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25457524-5018883,00.html

Last edited:
But, in other surveys, up to one in five users have admitted to injecting it at least once.

What a ridiculously warped statistic. I doubt 1% of MDMA users have even seen someone inject drugs, let alone tried it themselves, with MDMA of all substances.

Sounds like she tried to inject a crushed up pill, which is incredibly foolish. Yet another argument for more education, but instead they'll throw this on aboard the fear mongering train and milk it for all it's worth.

I guess people figure if injecting speed feels better than swallowing it, the same must hold true for MDMA, without doing any research into the subject or considering the dangers of injecting crushed pills (illicit street pills at that).

Some people just like to shoot up anything.
Some really deserve there fate.
The needle and the damage done.
Fuckin some people are whores to the media to get some claim to fame

If it's true someone did inject her then they are in a bit of trouble for supplying the stuff and shooting it up her arm ..

I know a chick that crushed a really strong pill up and put it up her arm and she ended up having to go hospital because she had a golf ball lump where she injected it ..

binders are very bad for your veins ..

I hate needles at the Dr and they are important ... so have to cop it ... but illegal drugs up the arm .. no thanks..

The study that said 1 in 5 users favour injecting is such a load of crap, I doubt even the 1% is true. The title of the article is absurd, injecting ANYTHING ups the danger lmao, everyone knows that.

I
have done it and It and it's way to intense for about 20 min., very uncomfortable and dangerous to a speed user, if you are expecting speed thunder, totally differnt feeling.
You can't focus on anything for 20 min. as your eyes just keep rolling in your head and the body high is paralyzing almost like a k-hole, with empathy and rushes. Don't ever do it with street pills, as you don't know what it's cut or binders are. If your going to do it, take 1/4 of what you normally take of clean molly or sass, and filter it many times.

maybe she died of a meth od? and not pills????

wouldn't they have said there was meth/amp in her system? I think they only said mdma and not combo, but who really know's with the media.

injecting anything ups the danger if you don't know what you're doing...

that goes without saying.

wouldn't they have said there was meth/amp in her system? I think they only said mdma and not combo, but who really know's with the media.

Think about it this way: If she died injecting 'ice', she's just another dumb junkie who got what they deserved. 'yawn' definately not newsworthy.

If she dies taking ecstasy though? Lots of kids and young people and casual users take E, so they can push it as a 'SO CALLED 'PARTY' DRUGS KILL ANOTHER INNOCENT YOUNG WOMAN ON THE GOLD COAST'

you will find ppl in your walks of life who have the feel for steel and will try injecting anything , but when it comes to ecstasy crushing a tab and shooting it you really are playing with your life due to unkown binders and fillers and so many other possible chemicals

She injected exstasy not an mdma pill!

Not what the article says, they say she bought some pills in the valley earlier in the night and shot them up later on.

Not what the article says, they say she bought some pills in the valley earlier in the night and shot them up later on.

Yea pills could mean anything. I wouldnt shoot anything unless i knew wat was in it. LOL im talkin like i do shoot myself but i dont lol

On that note I've never known a dealer that would shoot anyone up with anything... imagine something fucks up, and you gotta ring emergency services... not a good look.

Would have to have been either herself or someone she hung 'round with. Pills would be nasty to whack, especially with the way they are going now :\

You dont shoot street pills. WTF.
Intravenous MDMA is crap, even for trying to make a small amount of pure md last longer, you still need the same to peak as say snorting it, but its not a nice feeling. Feels like brain damage too what you hear when injecting it. Bun chs of cracks and pops and shit!

So the parents admit she IV'd speed, but oh no she didnt like needles and so could not have injected the crushed up pill???

A note to the parents: Your loss is a terrible one, and I feel for you. But you are going to need to accept that your daughter wasnt as pure or smart as you want to think she was.