• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Advertiser - 18/05/09 'Sniffer dogs catch 327 drug offenders in six months'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Sniffer dogs catch 327 drug offenders in six months
Article from: The Advertiser
JOANNA VAUGHAN
May 18, 2009 12:01am

MORE than 300 drug dealers and users - the equivalent of two each day - have been caught by four specially trained police sniffer dogs in the past six months.

But drug experts say independent studies have shown the dogs do not stop people from taking drugs and encourage more dangerous drug-taking behaviours.

Since October last year, the dogs have detected 577 ecstasy tablets, 551gms of cannabis, 11gms of amphetamines, three LSD tablets, 6gms of ketamine, 2gms of cocaine and 21 pieces of drug equipment including an ice pipe and a cocaine kit. Of the 327 people caught, 17 were arrested for drug-related offences including trafficking.

Dogs have been used 96 times in popular night spots including Hindley St, city, and Glenelg, as well as at events such as the Big Day Out, Schoolies Week in Victor Harbor and other dance raves.

ARE RANDOM DRUG CHECKS AN INVASION OF PRIVACY? Have your say in the comment box below.

They are also used on public transport and known drug transit routes, including the Mallee Hwy, the Sturt Hwy, the Princes Hwy and the Stuart Hwy at Marla.

However, Adelaide drug researcher Dr David Caldicott said the use of sniffer dogs was likely to have had no impact on the number of people taking and selling drugs. "There is no evidence to suggest that sniffer dogs are effective on stopping people from taking drugs," he said.

"There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it encourages people to use drugs in different ways, it encourages people to use drugs that aren't regularly detected by sniffer dogs and it encourages people to use drugs in more dangerous ways. If someone were to have enough of their drugs to see them for a 12-hour period and they saw the dogs . . . there is evidence to suggest that people will consume them all at once and then you have a mass overdose."

Police Minister Michael Wright however said the Government was committed to protecting the people of SA to ensure they were safe.

"The dogs and their handlers have been working hard and producing excellent results," he said

"Police now have the power to execute drug detection operations in places identified as hotspots for drug dealing and use."

Adelaide Now

As an Adelaide citizen and drug user, I will be having my say.

17 arrests? 327 and 17 arrests. That's 310 people who have only been caught with small amounts. Pretty big waste of time and money if you are just going to catch people and let them off.

However, Adelaide drug researcher Dr David Caldicott said the use of sniffer dogs was likely to have had no impact on the number of people taking and selling drugs. "There is no evidence to suggest that sniffer dogs are effective on stopping people from taking drugs," he said.

"There is plenty of evidence to suggest that it encourages people to use drugs in different ways, it encourages people to use drugs that aren't regularly detected by sniffer dogs and it encourages people to use drugs in more dangerous ways. If someone were to have enough of their drugs to see them for a 12-hour period and they saw the dogs . . . there is evidence to suggest that people will consume them all at once and then you have a mass overdose."

Someone is switched on, at least.

Yeah, total waste of time and money but as long as drugs are illegal they will never stop shit like this. That drug researcher has some brains and I am glad they atleast quoted him in that article but they don't really give a shit if sniffer dogs cause some people to OD. I would go as far as to say it is in some prohibitionists interests if the overdose rate goes up just a tad because its just more ammunition for them.

They may have had other drugs on them causing them to get caught.

Probably those 3 were all in possession by the same person.

I wonder if my post will get accepted as it is quite Pro-drugs and anti-government propaganda.

I always thought LSD was odorless and undetectable by dogs?

notice how they called it lsd tablets?
would've surprise me if they went oh its a bit of blotter paper, it must be lsd.
could always be a RC getting picked up.
speaking of which, whats the penalties if you get caught with acid?

With small amounts I would expect a caution

Maybe possession if you've rubbed them up the wrong way or had other contraband on you...

With sheets full of it, or bags of cubes, i think you'd be up the duff, so to speak ;)

11gms of goey doesn't seem like much for that time period. hmmm. spose it's fairly easy to stash away though.

Someone is switched on, at least.

Caldicott is a smart guy, he is the one who has been pushing to make pill testing legal in clubs. He understands that you will never stop drug use, but at least you may have a chance of stopping people from getting harmed or harm themselves.

Shame he will always be shunned!

In year 12, he came to my school to educate us on drugs.

He's pretty good.
A little backward in some views, but he is leading the way.

The comments being left by most people on this article on the site disgust me.
Funny how mine wasn't allowed.

a friend a mine was done with 10tabs of doi on the hindley i wonder why that didn't come up on the stats?

a friend a mine was done with 10tabs of doi on the hindley i wonder why that didn't come up on the stats?

Probably just put it under LSD, doubt your average cop knows or cares about the difference. DoI is filthy shit anyway :/

Must have been found with something else. Dogs are a complete waste of money if you work out what it costs vs what it achieves. Only catches people with personal amounts. Havent heard of many dealers being caught.

Think the only reason the dogs are used is the media seem to love them so to the uneducated the police seem to be having an impact when most of us know they are doing bugger all!

:(

dont know if any of you realize, But Dr Caldicott is drplatypus here on bl :)

the article says they were LSD pills. Might not actually be LSD - 2CB (well in Sydney anyway) has street names of trip/acid pills, tripstasy (nfi why it has that name), etc.

I could prob catch more than that in one night without dogs by myself lol

So let me get this straight.

577 ecstasy tablets : 309 people had 1 pill the 17 had 5 each? in 6 months? 17 dealers? they must of been pretty small dealers if the amount seized was 577 altogether. What are they trying to acheive? Seriously. It wont have an impact on the market whatsover, too much time for the cops, wasting time, wasting our money who pay tax and the list could go on.

Seriously id rather have my tax spent on more useful things like catching robbers, murderers and other related crimes. Would make our country alot safer. Which is worse? Some user who smokes 0.5g of green a day not harming anybody or a murderer? And no drugs dont always lead to crime. Most of us have good jobs.