Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 19.4.09 - Govt rolls out $18m anti-drugs adverts

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Govt rolls out $18m anti-drugs adverts
April 19, 2009

r191700_722544.jpg

Hard-hitting advertisements targeting illicit drug use will be rolled out nationally from Sunday as part of an $18-million federal government campaign.

The advertisements are targeted at young people and outline the dangers of drugs including ice, ecstasy and marijuana.

They will appear in print, television, cinema and online.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/br...-out-18m-antidrugs-adverts-20090419-ab1u.html

Last edited:
cinema will be interesting.

a few folks i know went to the i-max cinemas off their chops last weekend. would have been funny to see all the 3d shit, tripping balls.

in all seriousness though. $18m....something tells me no amount of money spent will deter a youth culture only too willing to burn its braincells rapidfire. in fact i would be keen to know just what the correlation was between money spent on federal anti-drugs campaigns, and the prevalence of drug use among young people in australia. personally i think big posters and billboards and adverts and shit act as a trigger more than anything else.

These things are so fucking useless, I really don't know why they bother. I honestly think these sort of campaigns are more for the anti drug population - to make it look like the government is doing something.

And fuck - I get bad enough cravings when I see the $3bags of ice on sale at 7/11 - It's going to be 10x worse if they have a blown up baggie of shards for me to stare at, haha ;)

Glug glug glug. <<< Thats the sound of 18 million dollars going down the drain.

Yes and I have seen the ads they are talking about and they are the same old ones they showed last year ...

with the guy on ice smashing that asian doctor in the hospital , the young women depressed from ecstasy but I still not seen the heroin or marijuana one yet.

Other ads would be when you hear a child talking about what they gonna do when they grow up then shows a teenager being zipped up in a body bag .. or where they tell parents to talk about drugs with their children..

Same old shit ...

the $18 million dollars goes towards paying the tv stations and news papers etc to show them.

I'm sure theres alot of you such as my self that could think of where that $18mill could be better put towards ..

$18 Million wouldn't go far with advertising.

Consider this:

10 seconds of air time non peak hour is $10,000 just to be shown once, cinema is similar.
Newspapers/magazines range from $2,000 - $15,000 depending on the size of it, this is for only once also.
Online is actually not to badly priced, I can't recall how much it costs but it's much less then the others...
Billboards would have been the best ones to hit seeing as they are $2,000 - $20,000 max for the entire month (4 weeks).

It's a bit sad when you see the Government wasting our lovely hard earned tax dollars on shit like this when they could easily legalize it and control it and make and least twice that amount off of it... Also it may boost our economy and create more jobs for actual Australians and not send them overseas. Surely one day this whole prohibition on drugs bullshit shall come to an end but I think America will have to do something first before the other major nations follow suit.

Pfft Government more like primary school kids in training lol.

I would like to see a $18 million HR campaign. Would be a much better allocation of money. I'm sick and tired of hearing about people hurting them selves with drugs.

fucken oath

and lol @ footscrazy - good to know those fucken huge 'ICE' signs at the servos and wherever don't just mess with my head!!

Yeah, the other day I noticed that same old ice ad was on TV again. Also I didn't get a TV guide this week and was on a website like australian tv guide or some shit, when I clicked the synopsis for a show there was a little ice advertisement on there. Which is addictive: smoking ice or shooting ice? ICE! Both are addictive, don't let ice destroy you! LMFAO.

saw the new anti-marijuana ad on telly tonight.

i actually think it's quite good, for what it is. not that i believe it will discourage anyone who smokes - because i don' t think it reflects the essential nastiness that becomes people who can't get/have their choof - but at least it highlights the drug's antisocial aspect. and it's nice to see them giving those shitty ice ads a break.

in toorak (vic) the other night i stopped at an ATM and there was an anti-ecstasy poster ad stuck onto the back of a phone booth. and now on facebook i see 'ice can destroy your life' pop ups when i log in. lol

^^^^

I just noticed that too, I wonder how much it costs to chuck on facebook?

They are on myspace as well I noticed.

Internet doesn't cost very much to place on there, it's around a couple of grand if my memory recalls me correctly.

^^ Yeah I was going to say I don't think it costs very much at all; the company I works for puts ads on facebook and I know their advertising budget is pretty small.

Drugs can be dangerous, yes, but the government communicates this in the completely wrong way. 8) As usual.

I saw anti-ice posters in the city today what the fuck?
'ice will destroy his career then his life' showing a man crying at his desk.
fer fucks sake.

My friends will see this and try lecture me even more. I also have seen the anti-ice posters on bus stops.

I saw a fucking ludicrous poster at the traino yesterday, saying "Thermal shock will liqefy your internal organs, burn out your muscles and cook your brain. Ecstasy: you don't know what it will do to you."

Such blatant scare tactics are downright fucking low. That kind of bullshit should not be stood for.

I saw the usual 'fucked up junkie with a blurb talking about ice ruining your life' poster on a bus stop the other day, as well as a funny one about weed 'destroying your mind' or something.

Really not sure who the fuck is coming up with these posters and expecting them to make a difference. All they're doing is stripping themselves of the little credibility they had with the public, which in turn leads to even more dangerous substance use because young people see the government crying wolf and so immediately dismiss 'everything' bad that is said about drugs and assume they're harmless, which we all know isn't true.