Xanax: what creates chemical dependency?

Brock

Bluelighter
I can't find anyplace where it states the mechanism that xanax uses to get its effects.
After reading up on myoclonic twitching and it being a direct result of lack of serotonin, and knowing that in my case xanax eliminates all twitching, it stands to reason that xanax affects serotonin levels, but how? Does it boost serotonin levels or inhibit the breakdown/reuptake process? What makes xanax chemically addictive where Prozac isn't?
peace

Who told you Prozac wasn't chemically addictive? Xanax and Prozac work very similiar, I'm not sure how exactly, but I do know that regular users of Prozac have to slowly reduce intake to get off of it, or else they can end up worse then when they first started taking it. For example my dad is taking it, yet he is suppose to roll come New Years, so I have to devise some method in which he can wheen off of it so he can experience X.

Those recent shooters in Calif, Hawaii, Texas are suddent victim of Prozac termination. Too bad, it is now so popular and often that the term "going postal" means the same thing as "off Prozac".
Inspired from Kids in the Hall's Brain 's Candys

xanax and prozac are way different. xanax dosent effect the serotonin it is a benzodiazpam (same family as klonipin, valum, etc.)so it depresses or slows the central nervous system and relaxes muscles (maybe calming twitches)and gives you a high at the same time so you are happier as if your serotonin was up. be careful xanax is physcially addictive if you get used to it your body will go thru horrible withdrawls and will get sick prozac on the other hand is not addictive but must be weened off as with any psychotrophic, your brain gets used to the level of prozac and if you remove it its like a cliff in the middle of the road itll effect you mentally of emotionally but not physcially xanax will do all. also xanax builds up a tolerance fast you can go from .25mg to needing 10 mg in less then a year. i was on xanax at 16 now at 24 i can take 10mgs 4 times a day and not get even sleepy (.25 knocks a starter out) thanks to a bad doctor i became addicted to it and now have a tolerance that makes it unsafe and the amount i need is toxic to my body. be careful

this is from memory so i will try my best... Prozac and Xanax are very different... xanax and other benzodiazepines (sp?) work on the brain chemical GABA (i believe increasing the levels), almost similar to that of alcohol.. which this effect decreases anxiety. Xanax does build up a very high toerance quick (it is a fast acting benzo..unlike the slow acting benzo.. Valium) and also builds up in your system overtime. On the other hand Prozac works by inhibiting the re-uptake of seretonin by keeping more in the synapse, although not physically addictive, stopping it abruptly or even not can leave you an emotional mess.
PLUR
ken

Thanks for the responses. I've been taking Xanax for almost 3 years. There was a point where I was taking 6-7mg's day and average 30 xanax bars every 20 days, sometimes more in that time span.
I've been through opiate withdrawl and benzo withdrawl, and I find benzo to be more a motherfucker.

i have also been thru both benzo and opiate withdraw and found the morphine much worse!!!could it have been the the amount of morphine i was prescribed...(i was hooked by a damn doctor!!!!!) and had to take or maybe i weaned from xanax quicker...what were your effects of the both if i may ask and was it done by legal drugs or extra ones? the morphine had me sick as a dog pukin for days, freezin the worst back pain ive ever had (worse then the accident that caused me to be on it for 6 months)couldnt sleep and was halucinating bad the xanax made me shake and irratable with headachs and nausea but not the utter pain but i also hated the high morphine gave me from day one but ive learned that the feeling is different if you need it like i did, just picking brains, thanks
------------------
~special k~
"you will remain the same till the pain of staying that way is greater then the pain of changing"

in my experience, if opiate w/d was tornado, benzo would be a hurricane... opiate w/d made me more physically sick, chills, ache all over, no real hallucinations though, lasted 4 days, benzo w/d came headache, nausea, palpaltations, i was seeing shit after the third day, plus the mental anguish of having the nervous/panic/anxiety receptors being suppressed for so long then let go like a coiled up spring, lasted over a week
the benzo was xanax and opiate was from demerol family
I was taking promethazine during opiate withdrawl, I'm sure that helped signifigantly.
It's weird how people react so differently to stuff, codiene make me sick as hell, morphine and merperidine don't at all.
[This message has been edited by Brock (edited 10 November 1999).]

brock..what did you take during the opiate withdrawl? what was it to help with. i was on visteril during the benzo withdrawl to help so we basically had the oppisite going on. i would say try visteril if you have anxiety still its the bomb and isnt addictive its in the benidryll (sp?) family and it helps greatly. but i do love your analogy with the tornado hurricane thing its really true. and i also know other people who get sick on codine but not morphine it is weird.

brock..what did you take during the opiate withdrawl? what was it to help with. i was on visteril during the benzo withdrawl to help so we basically had the oppisite going on. i would say try visteril if you have anxiety still its the bomb and isnt addictive its in the benidryll (sp?) family and it helps greatly. but i do love your analogy with the tornado hurricane thing its really true. and i also know other people who get sick on codine but not morphine it is weird.
------------------
~special k~
"you will remain the same till the pain of staying that way is greater then the pain of changing"

special k,
promethazine(phenergan) is for nausea, motion sickness, and vertigo
it's administered in hospitals by injection to ease the ill effects from opiates, it's also available by script in tablet form
it knocks you out faster than rohypnol, 30 minutes you're out like a light
[This message has been edited by Brock (edited 12 November 1999).]

phenigren...oh i get injections of that for my migraines (that and demerol) funny i get kinda loopy but never tired or out like a ruphie(sp?)but i will tell you ive never had an injection hurt so damn bad<<>>sorry if it just didnt click from your 1st post or maybe you use the generic name i didnt reconize it. thanks for your time!!!
smile.gif

------------------
~special k~