• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Adelaide Now - 11/04/09 Eight ecstasy ODs at festival

hoptis

Bluelight Crew

Chaos at Monarto music festival
Article from: Sunday Mail (SA)
KATE KYRIACOU, SAM KELTON
April 11, 2009 10:17pm

EIGHT people were treated for suspected drug overdoses as the Live at the Zoo music event plunged into chaos at Monarto last night.

Organisers were forced to shut down live music after crowds pushed through a stage barrier, injuring several people, shortly after 9pm.

Soon afterwards, headline act Cut Copy are understood to have told organisers they would not perform as it was "too dangerous".

Lights were cut, plunging the area into darkness, and stage hands told the Sunday Mail they were leaving in fear of a crowd revolt.

Send your photos of the event to [email protected]

A spokesman for the SA Ambulance Service said eight people had been treated for suspected ecstasy overdoses, including a 21-year-old woman who was rushed to nearby Murray Bridge Hospital.

The spokesman said ambulance officers were "having a great deal of problems'' dealing with the number of drug overdoses.

"Someone sold a copious amount of ecstasy at the Live at the Zoo event,'' he said.

A stage hand said he and others were leaving before the crowd got wind that the headline act had walked. "The crowd is going to tear this place down,'' he said.

Rumours also circulated that another major act, hip-hop duo Bliss N Eso, had also pulled the pin after they failed to come on at the scheduled time. However, they began their set almost two hours late, after a concrete barrier was set up to keep fans back from the stage. The band warned fans to stay back or police would shut the event down.

Shortly before midnight, Cut Copy were reportedly preparing to return to the stage as the situation calmed.

Event spokeswoman Mia Dion said staff had been injured during the earlier chaos. "The site manager got a kick in the head because he was helping with crowd control,'' she said.

One music fan described how people were hurt when revellers pushed over security barriers during British India's hit song Russian Roulette.

"British India had taken a five-minute break and I guess they thought things had calmed down enough for them to play their hit song,'' Linda Hampton said.

"But the crowd just pushed through and some girls at the front got injured when their legs got caught up in the barricade. (The fence) had vertical bars and people just got stuck and crushed. The injured girls got carried away to the dressing rooms and the band just ... walked off.''

As staff worked to erect the concrete safety barrier, angry fans chanted "boring'' and "hurry up''.

The three-day camping and music festival had been dogged with problems from the outset. On Friday, frustrated fans reported that more than 300 cars were banked up outside closed gates at midday.

Some festival staff reportedly quit on the spot in protest at the disorganisation. Other staff failed to show up.

The event has already had to cancel acts due to "costs massively exceeding original budget expectations''.

Event director Hal Royce refused to comment. "I just don't trust the media so I'd rather not say anything at all,'' he said.

Additional reporting:Lauren Zwaans, Kate Mickan

Adelaide Now

Wow.

That looks great for Adelaide.

Also sounds like they are trying to blame the drugs for the problems.

Wow.

That looks great for Adelaide.

Also sounds like they are trying to blame the drugs for the problems.

Yes it seems to be written that way - it's irrelevant that drugs were sold by some folk at a very poorly organized event. Was it an alcohol free event? Because a few drinks coupled with long waiting periods in the heat (not sure on the weather) would tick anyone off.
As for the OD's on supposedly on E, would the paper kindly follow up that info with a toxicology report from the participating hospitals? It would be nice to know.

This event was destined to be a disaster, it only takes some cursory insight into it to see how horribly organized it was.

Funny that they try pass it off as a substance problem when the real issue at hand is the absurdly inept organizers and promoters. Go adelaide!

Typical, really, isn't it... ekkies are getting the blame for everything, nowadays....

Can't say I've ever tried pills that make people angry.. They must be the ones with OMO in them ;-)

Lol what a bias load of bullshit haha, at most events theres always gonna be some sort of drug related medical problems, but they hardly function to stir up as much violence and destruction what happened her

The article also says there was a lot of ecstasy goin round which hardly warrants those accused of violent damaging and anti-social behaviour at the show were almost definitly not on a pill lol like seriosly when tha hell did anyone get hell violent or destructive while pingin? there probably too busy huggin strangers and dancing like absolute trippers.

Cost: 2 cents

Can't say I've ever tried pills that make people angry.. They must be the ones with OMO in them ;-)

No no no...omo is only used to make 'clean' pills.......it is definately a result of crushed glass and ratsack. Maybe they put a little heroin for effect.......

Well the article worked. My mum discussed this topic with me last night and blamed drugs as one of the reasons. Sigh.

Event director Hal Royce refused to comment. "I just don't trust the media so I'd rather not say anything at all,'' he said.

Haha spot on mate :D

The newspaper couldnt blame the organisers, and they had to blame SOMETHING, so of course MDMA is on the chopping block once again.