PDA

View Full Version : Psilocin and Drying Shrooms...

d-st0n3r
27-03-2009, 05:56
Let me start by saying you get fried off of shrooms from the Psilocybin and Psilocin contained within them.
Psilocybin cannot pass the blood-brain barrier and is therefore inactive until the body breaks down the Psilocybin into Psilocin which can then pass the blood-brain barrier.

Here is a chart showing the relative amounts of Psilocybin and Psilocin in various magic mushrooms strains [thank you Erowid]:

SPECIES / PSILOCYBIN / PSILOCIN

P. azurenscens- 1.78 .38

P. bohemica- 1.34 .11

P. semilanceata- .98 .02

P. baeocystis- .85 .59

P. cyanescens- .85 .36

P. tampanensis- .68 .32

P. cubensis- .63 .60

P. weilii- .61 .27

P. hoogshagenii- .60 .10

P. stuntzii- .36 .12

P. cyanofibrillosa- .21 .04

P. liniformans- .16 n/a

As you can see, many of these shrooms start off with large amounts of "predigested" Psilocin even before your body has a chance to break down the Psilocybin contained.
Also you may notice that P. cubensis, a very common shroom strain in North America, has nearly as much Psilocin as it has Psilocybin.
Psilocin is relatively unstable in solution due to its phenolic hydroxy (-OH) group. In the presence of oxygen it readily forms bluish and dark black degradation products.

In other words, the Psilocin will actually evaporate when you dry your shrooms. If enough original Psilocin is contained in the shrooms, the shrooms will take on a blu-ish tint.
You can therefore conclude that drying your shrooms will actually REDUCE the potency of your shrooms especially in strains like P. Cubensis and P. Baeocystis.

How can this be true?!?!
I thought shroomies were supposed to be just as good or better dried 8o
And one would think P. Cubensis would have more blue than P. Azurencsens if the above is the case...

What do you guys think?

___d-st0n3r

dread
27-03-2009, 09:23
You can therefore conclude that drying your shrooms will actually REDUCE the potency of your shrooms especially in strains like P. Cubensis and P. Baeocystis.

How can this be true?!?!
I thought shroomies were supposed to be just as good or better dried

You thought wrong.

Shrooms are much much more intense when eaten fresh (this of course doesn't apply to species like semis that have almost no psilocin).

My guess is that people that only eat semilanceatas have found their semis to lose almost no potency at drying and then foolishly think this applies to all mushrooms.

Generally, you lose about 50% of the psilocin and 20% of the psilocybin when you dry your shrooms. This brings an overall drop of potency of about 25% in cubensis, a bit less in shrooms with higher psilocybin/psilocin ratio.

I've found 30g of fresh cubensis to work as well or better than 4g of dried cubensis. The trip is also different on fresh ones, it is a lot more visual and intense. Note that when you dry that 30g of fresh you only get 3g of dry.

willow11
27-03-2009, 09:43
The blueing of mushrooms is not related to psilocybin or psilocin btw....

LawnChairSkank
27-03-2009, 09:56
The blueing of mushrooms is not related to psilocybin or psilocin btw....

What is it from? I've always thought that 4-po oxidizes into 4-ho and the 4- ho was blue? I thought that 4-po was the unstable molecule, and 4-ho was relatively stable? I feel like an idiot.

dread
27-03-2009, 10:08
Oxidation of phenolic compunds.

willow11
27-03-2009, 10:31
What is it from? I've always thought that 4-po oxidizes into 4-ho and the 4- ho was blue? I thought that 4-po was the unstable molecule, and 4-ho was relatively stable? I feel like an idiot.

Well, don't feel like an idiot. Everything else you wrote was correct I believe- the bluing reaction can be seen in other mushroom species (and other life forms I believe), but its a good way to identify psilocin/psylocybin mushrooms as they (usually) have many other totally discrete traits.

I love the look of deep purple blue shrooms myself....:)

any major dude
27-03-2009, 10:35
drying with a desiccant instead of heat can mitigate the drop in potency significantly

willow11
27-03-2009, 10:36
^Why for- more oxidative stress compared to heat?

BTW, many dies and whatnot are obtain through such oxidation...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indican

any major dude
27-03-2009, 11:01
^yep. desiccant in a vaccum sealed container is even more preferable (less oxygen)

dread
27-03-2009, 11:02
drying with a desiccant instead of heat can mitigate the drop in potency significantly

O rly

any major dude
27-03-2009, 11:17
probably the cheapest & easiest way to store them with as little degredation as possible involves an airtight container, a desiccant, and an oxygen scavenger. The real problem here is that if you have to replace desiccant, more atmospheric oxygen gets into the container.

d-st0n3r
27-03-2009, 19:39
You thought wrong.

Shrooms are much much more intense when eaten fresh (this of course doesn't apply to species like semis that have almost no psilocin).

My guess is that people that only eat semilanceatas have found their semis to lose almost no potency at drying and then foolishly think this applies to all mushrooms.

Generally, you lose about 50% of the psilocin and 20% of the psilocybin when you dry your shrooms. This brings an overall drop of potency of about 25% in cubensis, a bit less in shrooms with higher psilocybin/psilocin ratio.

I've found 30g of fresh cubensis to work as well or better than 4g of dried cubensis. The trip is also different on fresh ones, it is a lot more visual and intense. Note that when you dry that 30g of fresh you only get 3g of dry.

You would also think that since fresh cubensis has lots of natural psilocin that it could bypass the natural time it takes to digest psilocybin and make your comeup/trip that much better ;)

This being said why dont we all just eat fresh shroomies from now on... i mean whats up with all this drying crap?

delta_9
27-03-2009, 21:02
This being said why dont we all just eat fresh shroomies from now on... i mean whats up with all this drying crap?Dried mushrooms are much easier to store. Moisture obviously promotes mold and bacterial growth, and as a general rule all mushrooms are around 90% water.

probably the cheapest & easiest way to store them with as little degredation as possible involves an airtight container, a desiccant, and an oxygen scavenger. The real problem here is that if you have to replace desiccant, more atmospheric oxygen gets into the container.Even better would be to fill an airtight opaque container with an inert gas like helium. No need for an oxygen scavenger. :)

dread
27-03-2009, 22:31
Dried mushrooms are much easier to store.

This is the main reason. You can only store fresh mushrooms for 3-5 days. Then you must either eat them or dry them, or you will soon have a gooey mass of bacteria and mold on your hands...

d-st0n3r
27-03-2009, 23:32
i see....
gotta get my shroom farm goin' 8o:!

willow11
28-03-2009, 08:35
I do so like the feeling of eating a mushroom straight from the ground- living shroom, metabolising psilocin in transit on way to my brain :D

any major dude
01-04-2009, 05:10
Dried mushrooms are much easier to store. Moisture obviously promotes mold and bacterial growth, and as a general rule all mushrooms are around 90% water.

Even better would be to fill an airtight opaque container with an inert gas like helium. No need for an oxygen scavenger. :)

Most definitely, but as a matter of practicality for the average shroom farmer, this could prove prohibitively difficult. Hence the qualifiers cheapest and easiest. All this being said inert gas storage would be the gold standard, but its much easier to aquire silica packets, iron shavings, and an airtight container.