Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Sydney Star Observer 18/3/2009 - Dirty Pills Beg for Legislation

Montay

Bluelighter
Dirty Pills Beg For Legislation

Andrew M Potts

According to the Federal Police, ecstasy in Australia is being laced with crude adulterants including glass, rat poison, and more dangerous drugs such as heroin, LSD and methamphetamine.
While I question how often this is really occurring, can there be a better argument for regulating this drug’s manufacture and sale in this country?
Australia is one of the world’s highest per capita consumers of ecstasy, yet we are among the furthest away from the countries producing it, meaning street prices here are also among the highest.
For unscrupulous drug bosses, this makes for a powerful incentive to deceive users by passing off whatever they can for the drug in order to make big profits.
The exorbitant price has also encouraged many users to switch to the cheaper yet far more dangerous GHB, seen as an ecstasy substitute by many and perhaps the biggest killer on the Australia club scene.
Yet despite 1.5 million Australians have tried the drug, and close to 100,000 pills being consumed nationwide each weekend, few will ever see the inside of a hospital, let alone a morgue, because of their ecstasy use.
According to the Governments own statistics, of the 600,000 Australians currently using the drug, less than nine percent use it more than weekly. For most it’s a drug for special occasions, saved for a long weekend or a close friends’ birthday party.
Compare to marijuana, the drug usually featured in calls for legislation, where daily use is the norm. Even providing legal heroin to addicts gets more of a mention. But consider its known dampening effect on levels of street violence, and ecstasy is probably the most suitable drugs for legislation, not the least.
Victoria’s new police commissioner Simon Overland is a brave man for stating his openness on the subject of legislation. Few could attack his credibility as he spent 19 years as a federal police officer before leading the Purana Taskforce which brought drug criminals Carl Williams and Tony Mokbel to trial. If a police officer of his stature has questions about the merits of locking up users, then we all should. Unfortunately, Overland is a law enforcer, now a law maker.
Among Australian politicians, only the South Australian democrat Sandra Kanck has had the courage to call for ecstasy, specifically, to be legalised. She retired from politics in 2008 after being hounded by the tabloids.

Sorry guys no link, couldn't find it on the internet, i read it in a gay newspaper of my dads so I had to type it up.

Last edited:
Its good the author is pro legalization of ecstasy. Unfortunately some of his points are based on ridiculous misinformation like crushed glass and heroin in pills. Still though props to the guy for calling it like it is.

Heroin in pills... Rightio then.

Don't think I have ever heard of that in them before god they don't know anything.

At least they are realizing that their is absolute shit being but into pills these days and making it really unsafe to take them, hopefully one day they will control the flow of MDMA, of that will be the day lol.

Its good the author is pro legalization of ecstasy. Unfortunately some of his points are based on ridiculous misinformation like crushed glass and heroin in pills. Still though props to the guy for calling it like it is.

No actually he is just quoting the federal police when he says that, because they recently released a news article stating that. In fact he says himself that this is highly unlikely...

Guys, you have to remember a lot of people who read this won't care if there is MCPP or BZP or speed or meth in pills. The writer of the article has used federal police information of adulterants and used it to instill a good reason to fight the ecstacy legislation cause.

Bravo Andrew M Potts, great article!

Lets see more of Andrew and Simon Overland's sensibilities in the press and in positions of power.

PLUR

Very well written article.

Does anyone else see a problem with this statement?:

"and more dangerous drugs such as heroin, LSD"

Im assuming this must be in response to the Ecstasy article published a week ago: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,27574,25178918-5006009,00.html

I thought about this for a few minutes, and he may be more clever then i first thought. He's using the governments 'bullshit' statistic's which was used in an article a week ago against them.

He's flipping there propaganda around onto them and telling them 'This is the reason why its like that'. I think if you use the governments statistic's in an aim for something positive.. the uneducated public are more likely to listen.

I might be giving this guy to much credit.. but i think it's an interesting way to look at it.

as andrew potts alludes to; the way that the stage is currently set it would appear that simon overland is the country's greatest hope for the adoption of Harm Minimiumisation policies. lets hope its not just empty retoric.

it would be nice to see articles like this appearing in the more mainstream media. Thanks for posting Montay, espically considering you had to type it all out. kudos to you my friend!

that article was spot on, why cant politicians understand this? or is it considered political suicide to approach such issues with and open mind? I cant beleive its got to the point where its easier to get heroin and speed then decent bikies. Its a crazy world we live in.

pigs might fly

it's gunna be a brave pollie that puts their neck on the line calling for mdma legalisation.

pollies are usually motivated by self interest, so i think it will be a long time coming before a pollie puts its hand up and says...."lets legalise mdma!

So this is just my opinion.....

....but I think before we run down the "Let's legalise everything" highway there should be baby steps in between. And I think one of the good roads to take in this instance is to try and get the Victoria Police system of analysing the content/purity of seized pills pushed across all states and territories and have the time it takes to get this data and inform the public shortened.

As I said, my opinion.

Interesting article.

With the current climate in Sydney especially there could also be an added argument that legalisation of mdma would make a massive dent in the bike and other gangs income.

I expect that ecstasy probably makes up 80-90% of there income based on the massive numbers of users every weekend.

hmmm, I should qualify that and say that my figures would not include grass but I dunno if they are suppliers of grass.

Ceratainly out of H, coke meth and ecstasy then E would make up 80-90%. If not higher.

Legalising it would instantly destroy an insentive for the gangs to be there in the beginning.

I dunno if it would be quite that high in SA.

They deal a lot of pot and meth here.
But it would definitely dent their income and piss a lot of people off.