• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The West Australian - 11/03/09 'New dogs to widen hunt for pub drugs'

Carpe Norte

Greenlighter
New dogs to widen hunt for pub drugs
11th March 2009, 6:00 WST

getfile.aspx

First-Class Const. Ed Morris with drug dog Tana. Picture: Nic Ellis

WA Police are training two sniffer dogs which are likely to be used to search pub and nightclub patrons for drugs in a new clampdown on substance abuse.

Sen. Sgt Simon Hubbard, of the dog squad, said they had secured two labradors from Customs’ breeding centre in Victoria that would have about 12 weeks of training to become passive drug-detection dogs.

Sen. Sgt Hubbard said regular police drug-detection dogs could not be used at events or licensed venues because they were taught to seek out illicit drugs actively rather than just sit down next to a person.

The passive dogs could detect drugs such as cannabis, methamphetamine, heroin, ecstasy and cocaine. A person would be searched if a dog indicated they had drugs.

Assistant Commissioner Steve Brown said yesterday it was yet to be decided how and where the dogs would be used.

Last year, Supt Mark Gilbert, of the dog squad, said police wanted to use passive sniffer dogs in Northbridge to investigate queues outside licensed venues.

Police Minister Rob Johnson said he supported the dogs’ use in Perth’s nightlife precincts and at major concerts and outdoor events.

Safer Northbridge chairman John Lamerand said sniffer dogs would increase safety in the precinct.

Nightclub Owners Association spokesman Simon Barwood had no objection to sniffer dogs being used on queues outside venues.

RONAN O’CONNELL

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=129349

Yes I can vouch for this as it happened to a friend at the pub last friday, he had just bought a g of speed and put it in his pocket just as the dogs walked through in which they went right past him so he walked outside quickly and decided to have it all and he was watched by undercovers doing this so he walked away from it but was still questioned about the bag but let go.

If your at a pub and have gear on you and you see the dogs and manage to get away from them just look over your shoulder for undercovers who will be watching for people who are in a rush to get out of the place.So dont panic and walk calmly out of the place but be warned sometimes they have a dog at the entrance/exits for people in a rush to leave but this would be rare as usually only one dog is assigned to the group as its not a rave or concert its only a pub or rsl.

Fucken hell wtf is goin on in Australia? I havnt seen anything like it and i have lived in quite a few countries. They really are trying to crackdown arnt they? They should rather consider tightening the boarders rather than trying to find it on the streets no?

Well they certainly aren't going to find too many massive dealers this way I wouldn't think, but just given me another reason not to go out in NB.

Fucken hell wtf is goin on in Australia? I havnt seen anything like it and i have lived in quite a few countries. They really are trying to crackdown arnt they? They should rather consider tightening the boarders rather than trying to find it on the streets no?

i agree completely. fair enough if they want to attempt to "crackdown on drugs" but i think they are doing it all the wrong ways and am pretty suprised they haven't realised that yet.

god i hope it doesnt continue like this later down the track, what happened to being able to take a leisurely stroll in the city without being sniffed and searched for this and that.

im a good person i swear but the police make me feel like such a criminal :\

Look at that smile. Top cop. First-class I might even say.

This isn't a new thing though. Cops and dogs have been doing drug raids on clubs in Sydney for years.

All of a sudden (usually between 4 - 6am) the lights in the club go on and cops (and usually one dog) came through, and surprisingly enough a lot of drugs quickly end up on the floor. Sometimes when I've been there they haven't even closed the club and kicked everyone out, just had a quick walkthrough with the dog (with many cops waiting outside).

Has anyone else experienced this? Usually happens at places like Sublime, DCMs and when it used to be open, Gas.