Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 9.3.09 - Drug bin results released today from Rock it festival

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Police will today reveal how many drugs, if any, were dropped in the bins.

r346701_1583674.jpg

Police in Western Australia will today release the results of the first drug bin trial to be used at a music festival.

The bins were set up at the entrance to yesterday's Rock It festival at Joondalup, where people could dispose of drugs without being charged.

The trial was prompted by the death of 17-year-old Gemma Thoms who died of a suspected drug overdose at the Big Day Out last month.

Police say the bins will be used at a number of other events before they decide whether to adopt the measure permanently.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/09/2510887.htm?site=local

Last edited:
cool post, it will be interesting if anyone actually decided to put any in there. I dont think anyone would have dropped their drugs into the bins because pretty much anyone taking drugs to Rock It should have known about the drug bins and thus knew about the police sniffer dogs. I bet they dont have many drugs put in them and think about scraping the idea which is a bloody good idea. I also wonder if there were many smart arse's who dropped in bags of suger or flour as a joke?

While I'm sure there is drug use at rock festivals, I doubt it's quite as prolific as at dance festivals, so you have to wonder if they'll really get an accurate representation of how effective the system is.

i find it hard to imagine that people would dispose of any illegal drugs via this bin....perhaps a bit of pot maybe.

sniffer dogs don't stop people taking illegal drugs. all they do is ensure that people "load-up" on illegal drugs before entering venue.

IMO...all sniffer dogs do, is create a dangerous environment for illegal drug users......by forcing users to dose up on excessive amount of sometimes unknown quality/quantity drugs.....thus compromising their health.

^^^
I totally agree. Taking drugs is a big part of the festival experience for alot of the people going there. Its not going to stop people taking drugs. I think that this sniffer dog at events tactic the police have adopted has only decreased the amount of people who go by public transport to these events.

Great, more people driving their cars there cause they dont wont to be targeted getting on or off the train (I do know that they have the dogs and the bins at the gates to these events too).

^^^
I totally agree. Taking drugs is a big part of the festival experience for alot of the people going there. Its not going to stop people taking drugs. I think that this sniffer dog at events tactic the police have adopted has only decreased the amount of people who go by public transport to these events.

Great, more people driving their cars there cause they dont wont to be targeted getting on or off the train (I do know that they have the dogs and the bins at the gates to these events too).

Exactly, all it seem to do was push back the time which the people would normally go back later in the day so the quantity that they dumped before entering would last them the festival. Although rock it would be a little less prolific than say good vibes or future. I am very interested to see the results though.

Drug amnesty bins left empty

Police say a very small quantity of drugs was placed in amnesty bins which were used at a music festival in Perth at the weekend.

r346702_1583683.jpg

The bins were located at the entrance of the Rock-It festival in Joondalup, where people could dispose of drugs without being charged.

Police Commander Brian Cunningham said there were no drug overdoses at the event, which was attended by 26,000 people.

Commander Cunningham says only a few people disposed of drugs in the bins, and one person was charged with supplying drugs.

"Until we have it analysed we don't know, but I can't say it's a very small amount, it's not a large amount, but the other thing I can say is that even one of the persons that passed the bins has been charged with supplying drugs," he said.

"And we actually apprehended someone outside the event trying to supply drugs to other people too."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/09/2511094.htm?site=perth

Even 1 pill deposited would be a success IMO. Gee, if that's a sniffer dog and that bin was full, he'd be thinking he was in for a real treat ;)

^^^^ to me....it looks like that german shepherd is high on something. 8o

The question you should be asking is " Was that police officer and his dog actually stationary near the bins like that "

No wonder no one fucking went near the bins ...

The question you should be asking is " Was that police officer and his dog actually stationary near the bins like that "

No wonder no one fucking went near the bins ...

I was reading the West Australian this morning and it said there were no police near or even monitering the bins so i assume thats just a cop posing for a photo. Is it just me or were the sniffer dogs at the BDO alot smaller and of a different breed?

Oh yeah the bins were also chained around 4 metal stakes on grass so that photo may be just a demo taken any old where.

I was reading the West Australian this morning and it said there were no police near or even monitering the bins so i assume thats just a cop posing for a photo. Is it just me or were the sniffer dogs at the BDO alot smaller and of a different breed?

Oh yeah the bins were also chained around 4 metal stakes on grass so that photo may be just a demo taken any old where.

The bins were about 50m's from where the police were running the gauntlet, you could definitely see them, but they weren't strictly monitoring them.

I never went to rock it but so far all the dogs and officers have been at train stations's , im guessing it wasnt the case this time ?

I never went to rock it but so far all the dogs and officers have been at train stations's , im guessing it wasnt the case this time ?

Your right, this time they were right before the only gate into the place, I guess because they had to provide the amnesty bins, so they had to give people a chance to get out of the station.

I don't get it, why would people buy drugs just so they can throw them away into a bin when they get to the festival... It's stupid really just like lighting money on fire just to light a cigarette.

I'd be trying to get the drugs out of the bin for my own personal use not putting them in their, also what's stopping some crazy mofo coming along on a motorbike or something tieing a chain around one of these bin and letting it rip making drugs fly everywhere and hence putting the sniffer dogs off the actual scent of hidden drugs and letting random people pick up free drugs...

Officer, "Put those drugs down, NOW!"

Person, "Oh don't worry I'm just helping you collect these drugs officer."

*Pick up throw away, pick up throw away, and pocket these couple while his back is turned and continue, pick up throw away..*

Sorry just trying to make up some scenarios lol.

Drug bin trial 'satisfactory', but 10 still charged

article-drugs-420x0.jpg

Some of the drugs dumped in the drug bins put in place at the Rock It festival.

WA Police say they are "satisfied" with the results of the first trial of drug disposal bins at yesterday's Rock-It music festival in Joondalup.

Three bins were set up near the entrance to the sold-out venue and an initial examination of the bins showed very small amounts of cannabis and pills - mostly amphetamines and ecstasy - were dropped in them.

However, 10 festival-goers were still charged with drug offences.

One man was charged with the more serious offence of possession of amphetamines with intent to sell or supply.

Commander Brian Cunningham said punters were free from prosecution if they chose to place their illicit drugs in the bins provided.

"We are certainly satisfied with some aspects of the drug bins," Commander Cunningham said.

"It was pleasing to see that the message that drugs were not welcome at the event and that they are dangerous seems to have been accepted (after) nobody was treated for drug overdoses at the festival.

"What was disappointing was that some people chose to ignore the bins and were caught with drugs trying to get into the concert.

"We will be conducting an evaluation of the bins in consultation with the Drug and Alcohol Office and DrugARM, and have engaged an independent company to conduct a survey of people who attended the festival."

Commander Cunningham said police plan to trial the bins at future music festivals.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/d...ctory-but-10-still-charged-20090309-8t5s.html

A number of bright blue wheelie bins were placed at the concert entry gates to encourage drug disposal without consequences,

The bins will be used again at the V festival, to be held at the Claremont Showgrounds on April 5. Police would not reveal which concerts would be targeted in the future.

Police will continue to place drug amnesty bins at Perth’s big music events, despite only a small amount of drugs being deposited at yesterday’s Rock-It festival.

The bins were criticised for their prominent placement at the concert entrance, in full view of officers and sniffer dogs, who were only 20 metres away.

police would be evaluating bin location, colour and even the presence of sniffer dogs. “There are a number of tactics we can use in the future.”

Flour and icing sugar were also dumped in the bins.

^^^^^

More news reports ...

Last edited: