Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : 7.3.09 - Drug disposal bins backed by University Professor Steve Allsop

kingpin007

Bluelighter
Drug disposal bins backed

07/Mar/2009

steve.jpg

CURTIN University Professor Steve Allsop has cautiously backed police plans to introduce drug disposal bins at concerts, provided the trial results are closely monitored to determine if they had the intended effect.

The drug disposal bins, on trial for the first time at this weekend’s Rock-It concert in Joondalup, are a police initiative following the ecstasy overdose death of Kalamunda teenager Gemma Thoms at the Big Day Out concert last month.

Prof Allsop, of the National Drug Research Institute, said the idea had its merits in the context of a broader health approach by allowing people to dispose of their drugs safely without penalty.

“There is certainly some argument for a receptacle to dispose of drugs safely at such venues rather than in the main thoroughfare,” he said.

“I believe there has been some success with the idea in the UK where the use of drug collection receptacles has enabled authorities to examine and analyse the contents.

“These bins are certainly something worth trying but with little evidence about the implications of these trials I am approaching the idea with caution.

“I tend to be evidence-guided so am loath to give my full support until I see the evidence.”

Prof Allsop said another idea was to provide warnings about the use of illegal drugs on concert tickets, in conjunction with highlighting bans on alcohol.

He said the best way to combat drug abuse remained good prevention, good education and good treatment.

Gemma Thoms’ death sparked major controversy about police presence at public events and the regulation of illegal drugs.

The 17-year-old is believed to have taken tablets after sighting police at the event.

Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said the trial was designed to avoid a repeat of the tragedy at the Big Day Out and would be subject to a full review.

Premier Colin Barnett said he did not believe the idea sent the right message.

He said harm minimisation had been a failure in the treatment of drugs in WA and the message to not use or take drugs to public events had to be clear.

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/news-and-views/local-news/Drug-disposal-bins-backed/7520159/

Last edited:
NDRI staff member

steve.jpg

Professor Steve Allsop
Director and Project Leader

Telephone: 61 (0)8 9266 1600
Fax: 61 (0)8 9266 1611
Email: [email protected]

Introduction

Steve Allsop has worked in the drug field for over 20 years and been involved in research and professional development for health, police, education, welfare staff and community organisations. In addition to being Director of NDRI Professor Allsop is an Adjunct Professor with the Centre for International Health, Division of Health Sciences, Curtin University. He has previously worked as the A/Executive Director, Drug and Alcohol Office, Western Australia and the Director of the National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction, Flinders University of South Australia.
Qualifications

* PhD Psychology, Psychology, Curtin University of Technology
* Post Grad Dip Alcohol Studies, Social Studies, Paisley University
* BSc (Hons) Psychology, Psychology, Stirling

Research Interests

* Professor Allsop's interests are in preventing and reducing alcohol-related harm, preventing and reducing harm associated with amphetamine use, preventing and reducing co-existing mental health and drug problems, responding to drug problems in the workplace and enhancing the capacity of human service providers to implement effective prevention and harm reduction strategies.

Consultancies

* Consultant, Preventing and reducing alcohol-related harm in students, Health Sciences - Curtin University of Technology, Healthway

Memberships

* Member, Australian Professional Society on Alcohol and Other Drugs (APSAD)
* Member, Department of Community Development, Child Death Review Committee
* Member, NHMRC Review of the Australian Alcohol Guidelines Working Committee
* Member, Commission for Occupational Safety and Health, WA
* Member, Online Psych e-Network (OPeN) Common Interest Group
* Chairman, Public Health Department, Edith Cowan University, Public Health Consultative Committee

Editorial

* Deputy Regional Editor, Addiction Journal

Other

* Deputy Chair, Drug and Alcohol Office of Western Australia
* Member of Steering Committee, Western Australian Child Development Study Survey - Steering Committee, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
* Honorary Member, Anex Research Advisory Committee
* Panel of experts, Guidelines for General Practitioners - Management of Patients with Psychostimulant Use Problems, National Drug Strategy
* Panel of experts, First Aid Guidelines Project: Problem Drinking, Orygen Research Centre
* Panel of experts, NHMRC Career Development Awards Population Health Panel
* Mentor, Healthway Leadership Development In Health Promotion Programme - Mentoring Component

Current projects

Australian Leadership Awards - Fellowship Program Round 3 - Lijun Yang Details

The range and magnitude of alcohol’s harm to others Details

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cannabis Intervention (NCPIC) Details

Alcohol and other drug use at school leaver celebrations in Western Australia Details

Secondary analysis of the relationship between cannabis use, dependence, mental health and associated outcomes in the Victorian Adolescent Cohort study Details

Evaluation of a best practice integrated intervention for regular methamphetamine users with comorbid depression Details

An examination of cannabis contamination and potency in Australia Details

The development of a National Needle and Syringe Program (NSP) Strategic Framework Details

Publications

Allsop, S. and Beatty, S. (2009). Reducing Drug-related Harm: What the Evidence Tells Us. IP Communications, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. ISBN: 978-0-9804586-4-0 [CH158]

(2008). Submission to the Community Affairs Senate Committee - Alcohol Toll Reduction Bill 2007 [2008] - Expert Testimony. Senate Community Affairs Committee. Senate Printing Unit, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600. [R222]

Allsop, S. (ed.) (2008). Drug Use and Mental Health: Effective Responses to Co-occuring Drug and Mental Health Problems. IP Communications, Melbourne, VIC, Australia. ISBN: 978-0-9804586-1-9 [M71]

Allsop, S. (2008). Engaging the community in responding to alcohol-related problems. In Moore, D. and Dietze, P. (eds.) Drugs and Public Health: Australian Perspectives on Policy and Practice. Oxford University Press Australia & New Zealand, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. pp. 17-28. [CH155]

Allsop, S. (2008). Mental Health and Drug Problems: What is the issue? In Allsop, S. (ed.) Drugs and Mental Health: Effective responses to co-occurring drug and mental health problems. IP Publications, Melbourne, VIC, Australia. pp. 1-10. [CH159]

Allsop, S. and Chikritzhs, T. (2008). Submission to the Community Affairs Senate Committee - Ready to Drink Alcohol Beverages - Expert Testimony. Senate Community Affairs Committee Secretariat. Senate Printing Unit, Parliament House, Canberra. ISBN: 978-0-642-71932-4 [R221]

McLaren, J., Swift, W., Dillon, P. and Allsop, S. (2008). Cannabis potency and contamination: a review of the literature. Addiction, 103, (7), pp. 1100-1109. [RJ621] Abstract

Allsop, S. (2006). What is this thing called motivational interviewing? Addiction, 102, (3), pp. 343-345. [RJ503]

Allsop, S., Chikritzhs, T. and Rechichi, V. (2006). Alcohol and teenagers: Risky Business. Issues (March ed), (74). pp. 15-19. [UJ139]

Northcote, J., Lyons, Z., Allsop, S., Howard, J. and Evans, L. (2006). Working with Homeless People who use Alcohol and other Drugs: Devising a Resource Guide for Frontline Practitioners. Parity, 19, (8), pp. 30. [UJ145]

Allsop, S. (2005). Relapse Prevention. Alcohol Practice Guidelines: For practitioners helping Veterans with alcohol problems, Department of Veterans' Affairs. Commonwealth Department of Veteran's Affairs, Canberra. [CH135]

Midford, R., Welander, F. and Allsop, S. (2005). Alcohol and other Drugs in the Workplace. In Stockwell, T.R., Gruenewald, P., Toumbourou, J. and Loxley, W. (eds.) Preventing harmful substance use: the evidence for policy and practice. Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex. [CH119]

Weatherburn, D., Topp, L., Midford, R. and Allsop, S. (2000). Drug Crime Prevention and Mitigation: A Literature Review and Research Agenda. NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research, Sydney. [CH91]

Ali, R., Christie, P., Lenton, S., Hawks, D.V., Sutton, A., Hall, W. and Allsop, S. (1999). The Social Impacts of the Cannabis Expiation Notice Scheme in South Australia Ð Summary Report. Monograph No.34. Publications Productions Unit, Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, National Drug Strategy, Canberra, ACT. [M16]

Allsop, S. and Lang, E. (1998). Alcohol and the worksetting. Kit. National Centre for Research into the Prevention of Drug Abuse, Division of Health Sciences, Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Western Australia. [R87]
Non-NDRI Publications

Allsop, S. and Chikritzhs, T. (2008). Submission to the Senate Community Affairs Committee - Inquiry into Ready-to-Drink Alcohol Beverages - Expert Testimony. Commonwealth of Australia. Senate Printing Unit, Parliament House, Canberra. [UP]

Allsop, S., Lenton, S., George, J., Makkai, T. and Baker, J. (2008). National Amphetamine-Type Stimulant Strategy. National Drug Strategy. MCDS. [UP]

(2007). Management of Patients with Psychostimulant Use Problems: Guidelines for General Practitioners. Commonwealth of Australia. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra. ISBN: 1-74186-471-2 [UP]

(2006). Inquiry into Misuse/Abuse of Benzodiazepines and other Pharmaceutical Drugs. Drugs and Crime Prevention Committee - Parliament of Victoria. No. 223 Session 2003-2006. Authority Government Printer for the State of Victoria, Melbourne. ISBN: 0-9579188-9-5 [R]

Allsop, S., Cormack, S., Addy, D., Ashenden, R., Ask, A. and Beel, A.C. (1998). Education and Training Program for Front-Line Professionals Responding to Drug Problems in Australia. Report prepared for The National Centre for Education and Training on Addiction. Report commissioned by the Commonwealth Department of Health and Family Services.

http://db.ndri.curtin.edu.au/staff.asp?persid=105

Last edited:
Yeah i expressed my feelings on these bins in another thread. They aint gonna work. People will take them rather than toss em. People will want to steal the bins too. Doesnt matter how they are bolted down they still will steal em.

The only way they could stop drugs coming in if they follow singapores laws and a few other asian countries. Thats the death penalty.

"He said harm minimisation had been a failure in the treatment of drugs in WA and the message to not use or take drugs to public events had to be clear."

How the fuck does he get off saying shit like that when it was the HR people who predicted that someone would die in the manner as gemma did. I think more then anything it shows there zero tollarance crap has been and will continue to be a faliure.

^^^^

I wonder what story will be put together on next weeks 60 mins ?

drug bins , death of a young hair dresser named Gemma at the perth BDO , a response from a drug user , police excuses , a mother & step father in tears ....

^^^^

I wonder what story will be put together on next weeks 60 mins ?

drug bins , death of a young hair dresser named Gemma at the perth BDO , a response from a drug user , police excuses , a mother & step father in tears ....

Sounds like you are working for 60 mins, I just got back from Rock it. I saw people dropping pills before they got to the bins, they just had to hide it from semi plain clothed cops. I didn't even see any sniffer dogs, just a few guys being told to empty the pockets but no dogs. It was the biggest police presence I had seen at a WA festival, even had coppers inside the event. On another note KOL and the music were great, pretty good day. I wonder if anyone actually put a single drug in the bins? WIll they release figures or anything like that?

This whole drug bin thing is silly. Drugs cost money. People aren't just gonna throw away their money in a bin. They'll just take their drugs beforehand. I doubt its gonna work very well at all, despite what this professor or the police think.

I can't believe half you people. Any alternative to sniffer dogs should be welcomed, whether or not you can foresee a benefit. If I had a dud or weird pill that I'd seen my mates have a bad time on, and I thought the contents of the bins would be analysed and results disseminated to the wider community, I'd turn up at the event just to drop one in the bin. Remember this is just a baby step, but the concept is deeply founded in harm reduction, so I'd suggest going away and having a long hard think about it.

If they are successful, even slightly, we might eventually get to see these placed inside events, perhaps even next to St John Ambulance or RaveSafe/ Crowd care areas. Everyone wants to know if the thing they have taken or about to take is what they think it is. How about this senario. You're at an event with mates and all have the same pills. One of your group drops early and has a bad reaction. Was it due to the pills? Best way to find out would be to donate one for testing. It might not help you on the day, but it might make some users hold off on those pills until test results are released. This is Harm Reduction in it's finest form, and what's more, for statisitcal purposes it provides hard data, rather than interpretation of the subjectivity of users, which makes up virtually all of our current figures on user trends. The latter is far from an exact science IMO.

I have no hesitation is saying that some of you are not seeing the bigger picture, and some I hate to say, appear to be more than willing to side with the anti HR lobby. Bins are a major step in the right direction, whether they turn out to be successful in the eyes of LE or not. If I could legally run a testing service onsite, I'd be there tomorrow, but that's certainly not going to happen - at least in the near future. This idea is one step closer and arguably also presents a more widely accepted model, so I don't know why there are so many wowsers.

However, if anyone can come up with an alternative system which is acceptable to LE, one that limits or eliminates the need for sniffer dogs, and potentially provides a means of getting analytical results out there, then I'm all ears.

Some of you might not realise it, but BLers such as johnboy Cowboy Mac and myself - not to mention other supporters of Enlighten and pill reports - have pushed for years to have analytical results available to users and the wider public. It may not be an optimal model in our eyes, but it's something where previously we've had nothing.

Perhaps some of you should team up with a HR outreach group sometime and see how some users end up. Hope you like vomit though, we went through around 60 emesis bags at our last event, and saw countless individuals referred to medics - some of whom were hospitalised. So, get amongst it, then rethink your antibin stance :!

^ pd are the collected drugs going to be analysed and the results released to the public?

^ pd are the collected drugs going to be analysed and the results released to the public?

That's what I was wondering too, I do wish onsite testing was available though, that would be harm minimisation at it's best.

Conspicuous amnesty bins get wide berth

Paige Taylor | March 09, 2009
Article from: The Australian

TEENAGERS were wary of amnesty drug bins trialled at Perth's Rock It music festival yesterday following a furore over the death of apprentice hairdresser Gemma Thoms last month.

About 26,000 ticket-holders, who had paid $94 each for the 10-hour event headlined by Kings of Leon, appeared to ignore three drug-disposal bins as they filed past on their way towards a wall of police and sniffer dogs at the entrance to Joondalip Arena.

Music fans such as Siobhan Medhurst, 19, said she was against drugs and that the bins were a good idea.

But she said they should have been in a booth or behind a screen that everyone had to walk behind in order to get in. "Nobody's going to use them with cops everywhere and in full view like that," she said.

Kendra O'Byrne, 16, said the bins seemed too visible but she hoped people would use them. "Personally I don't know why you'd pay nearly $100 to enjoy the bands then get off your face," she said.

Gemma, 17, died after swallowing three ecstasy tablets in a panic to avoid detection at the Big Day Out in Perth's western suburbs on March 2.

She was lining up to get in when she saw police sniffer dogs inside Claremont Showgrounds.

Once inside, Gemma danced and was soon suffering in the 36C heat.

Less than three hours after arriving, she collapsed and died in hospital. There was a fierce debate about the use of sniffer dogs at such events in the days after Gemma's death, and the Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia said the police should be ashamed by their "intentional fear tactics". West Australian Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan defended the use of the dogs, saying one girl had 12 ecstasy tablets hidden in her hair.

But he said he would act on a talkback caller's suggestion to erect "amnesty bins" at similar events so that festival-goers could get rid of drugs without being prosecuted.

Before the gates opened at noon yesterday, Premier Colin Barnett let it be known he had concerns about the trial -- believed to be Australia's first.

"Look, we've agreed with the police commissioner in trialling it -- I don't have a closed mind to any ideas," he said. "But my concern is that it sends the wrong message and the wrong message to drug users (is) that somehow you can take drugs along and if the police are there you can just drop them in the bin.

"The message to young people needs to be simply this: don't use drugs and certainly don't take drugs to public venues."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25157863-16947,00.html

Last edited: